Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856259 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3810 on: July 14, 2021, 12:18:04 pm »

This is what I mean by embracing the chaos. I don't particularly care if my pawns die, I love things like heatwaves and toxic fallout. I try to play them out as realistically as possible and if we die we die. There are always other colonies. If I really want to continue a specific colony I use dev mode to trigger the wanderer joins event once everyone is dead and I keep on going.

Vivalas, if you find a good set of medieval mods let me know. Sounds like fun!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: July 14, 2021, 01:42:07 pm »

Yah, I find myself getting overly frustrated at some events in the game. Particuarly since I play with a bunch of mods that I want to focus more on researching and construction and, eventually, combat.
I have turned off the Cold Snap and Heat Wave events. Having a heat wave when you're playing a medieval mod and no effective way to deal with temperatures of 50c other than the passive cooler is... not fun.
Some others I'm probably going to be disabling is the Toxic Fallout and Volcanic Winter events. Volcanic Winter isn't too bad but Toxic Fallout is just everything dies and you can't do anything outside. Even hunting the few surviving animals is useless since they rot immediately.

Sure, preperation and all that. I'm not very good at that but coupled with the frequent raids it's all a bit too much for me.

Hehe, this makes me want to try medieval again because I'm having flashbacks to my heat waves where it just felt like a pythonesque comedy sketch and all the peasants were just collapsing in the streets. Actually I don't think I lost anyone to heat waves which I think was because at night the heat would go away enough for pawns to lose the hediff in a room with lots of coolers, provided they went indoors to a room that delayed the heat wave during the day.

I really want a good medieval rimworld setup but the Vanilla Expanded one kept spawning raiders with heavy artillery as opposed to catapults and the other medieval one isn't compatible with CE so I eventually built a new modset and kinda threw that medieval save in limbo.

Playing medieval does make a normal colony afterwarss seem very easy though!

The medieval mod I've been playing in particular is the RimHammer mod series. Not strictly medieval since it has magic, dwarfs and beastmen but the Empire is medieval/early gunpowder in tech.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: July 18, 2021, 04:47:58 pm »

We have a release date!

July 20th

I'm glad Tynan announces things so close to the release, stops the boredom from not having the new features from lasting as long.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: July 20, 2021, 12:25:47 pm »

Ideology is up and available for purchase, though atm there seems to be some issue with the file itself not actually downloading.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: July 20, 2021, 12:38:22 pm »

I bought it, but I'll probably hold off on starting a new colony for a bit. Want to see my current one through. Plus it'll give more mods time to get updated and working (though I know quite a few already have).
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: July 20, 2021, 05:34:07 pm »

Most of the mods I'm subscribed to are updated already, most of the ones that aren't look like they won't ever be and I can live without them. The rest I'm waiting for, especially Prepare Carefully.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: July 20, 2021, 06:12:18 pm »

Prepare carefully is almost a must for me.

I'm also hoping Rim War gets updated, as I love what it does to the world.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: July 21, 2021, 02:00:35 am »

The strength of raids and events slowly but inevitably ramps up (to a max) until a pawn dies, as far as I know this has no impact on how frequent events are or the type of events that triggers.

Do you have a source on this? The chatter I'm seeing from some searching is that it's not just pawn death but also a pawn being downed. (Still different than I had thought above, admittedly.) I'm also seeing claims that it's possible for the adaptation to make threats smaller than normal, not just greater than normal.
It said loses in the ingame tooltip for the setting, so I assumed it applied only to deaths and not just downings, especially as there is a very noticeable drop in difficulty after a death and no noticeable drop after a downing.

A bit of checking does indeed show that downings should be counted, if to a much smaller degree. Presumably, they do add up pretty significantly over time, especially if you get a lot of them.

And yeah, it seems like it does make them smaller then normal if you have enough losses, so sacrificing a dude with it on should make it easier then just having the setting off.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: July 21, 2021, 09:31:36 pm »

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1507748539 Mod Manager is a bit of a must if you have mods enabled and disabled. Much of Fluffy's work is a must and none of it is updated. Numbers is also up there.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: July 22, 2021, 01:01:13 am »

First impressions of 1.3 and Ideology aren't... great in my own opinion.

Ideologies are cool but it's pretty much exactly what I feared -- you make a complete ideology from scratch when you start a new colony (or choose a pre-existing one). The only limits are a max of 4 of the bigger ideology archetypes (memes). But beyond that it's pretty much just customizing rules. Like there's the ability to just... raise your research speed. That's it. You can choose to have standard, fast, or faster research speed. At colony creation, with no actual downsides or real requirements. I can easily see the utility and benefit of Ideologies for lots of people (i.e. those particularly RP-inclined) and it's definitely not bad outside of those people, but it just feels like it could be more. I'd so much rather have an ideology that organically forms and spreads amongst my colonists as I play, based on what I do and how I act, and my exposure to other existing ideologies. Have starting your own be a bigger deal. That kind of thing.
That being said, I do want to reinforce again I don't think it's bad; it just doesn't live up to its potential for me personally at least. Though considering how much Royalty was improved in later updates, I think it's very possible for Ideology to still reach that potential.

As for 1.3... christ am I done with Tynan's obsession of making static defenses as useless as possible. I'm going to mod out at the least the new mechanoids (and very probably the new raiders) before continuing. There's a difference between "you can't and shouldn't always rely on your killbox" and "EVERY FIGHT MUST ALWAYS BE DONE IN AN OPEN FIELD WITH NO ADVANTAGES TO THE DEFENDER."
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: July 22, 2021, 02:46:26 am »

Custom ideologies are a little bit overpowered, it's true. I almost wish there was a point buy system or something so it didn't feel quite so cheaty -- you can just make your colonists research fast, not care about eating insect meat/cannibalism/seeing dead bodies/organ harvesting, etc, with no downsides. On the other hand, Rimworld's been pretty lax about letting you disable events you don't like, and now you can even just disable whole factions, too, and I guess the difficulty has always been something you opt into (whether with the literal difficulty setting or just picking harder biomes).

Regarding defenses, it's always been an arms race between players who find the most meta strategy that enables the most efficient defense vs. Tynan adding new enemy types and behaviors to counter it, so I don't have many complaints there -- I probably spent 300 hours playing Merciless with mountain bases and killboxes and manipulating insectoid spawns to completely avoid any losses which was... fine, but I've honestly had more fun lately playing with the difficulty dropped down and engaging with the combat system more rather than just playing tower spike trap defense. I remember way back when light affected accuracy and you could lure enemies into a a well lit hallway while your colonists opened fire from their shrouded bunkers, those were the days.

Anyway, I think the problem is a lot of players want the illusion of difficulty while actually not struggling at all, just look at how popular embrasures are despite completely trivializing combat. Fundamentally, Rimworld is designed to screw you over and is inherently arbitrary: there's no simulation going on to determine whether factions can actually afford to send raids your way unceasingly, it's just a function of colony wealth + time + a little RNG. The mods that try to address that (e.g., Faction Resources) are underwhelming.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: July 22, 2021, 03:56:05 am »

Eeeehh. I do tend to shy away from a lot of more defense-oriented mods (like embrasures yeah) due to how they nullify difficulty in combat. My problem isn't the difficulty but really just how the game is set on making your defenses absolutely useless.

The way I see it, it's pretty much always a mistake to try to "beat" the power-users of your piece of media. Whether it's trying to always beat the latest meta used by power-players, or something like what happened with Westworld: the showrunners got frustrated by the fact that a small minority of people were able to pick up on foreshadowing and predict the plot of the first season. Their response was in the writing of the second season, which is considered a lot worse. There will always be people who grind down your game/media to its bare fundamentals and utterly destroy it. And that's fine.

But really with killboxes and the like, of course they should be some level of discouraged; defending against raids and the like in Rimworld should be more than "I drafted my pawns, sent them to the killbox, and safely eliminated each enemy funneled inside." But the consistent direction development in Rimworld of counteingr these kinds of strategies affects way more than just killboxes. Static defenses should be substantially useful, just nowhere near guaranteed safety and victory. Yet updates to the game seem like they have a vendetta against any form of static defense; like Tynan & company want your base to be nothing more than a thematic and functionless backdrop to a battle in the open.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 04:04:34 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: July 22, 2021, 08:45:13 am »

So far I'm finding there to be too many downsides to making pawns follow a sociopathic cannibal creed. Compared to the actual cannibal trait being an Ideology cannibal is considerably worse. Keeping my guys moods up is proving harder now.

Ideology cannibals get a smaller benefit for eating human meat, get penalties for not eating human meat, and still get penalties for butchering humans. This shakes out as a penalty more often than not.

Similarly tunnelers get penalties for eating non-fungus plants, but setting up a fungus farm takes time because you have to burrow into a mountain first, so you basically have to eat the penalty just to survive long enough to overcome it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3823 on: July 22, 2021, 11:00:01 am »

You can deal with the penalties though... I played a tree worshiping tribe and we had to cut plenty of trees to get started. You get a very generous mood buff from low expectations early on. Despite a near constant debuff from tree slaughter I was able to build a wooden tribal village out of said trees with only a few minor breaks. They were also ideological vegetarians opposed to eating meat but we did some initial hunting and ate meat to survive until crops came in.

Yeah they'll be a bit sad about it but it doesn't last forever and they will get over it.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: July 23, 2021, 02:03:39 am »

My impression after some play session is that ideology can offer very powerful bonuses when the colony is established and stabilized, but penalties do make early game needed to get there harder.

Meme seems to be decently balanced but yeah, specific settiings offered thereafter allows for some OP shenanigans, disabling bad thoughts and setting powerful weapons as relics etc. I'm probably going to randomize that last page every time.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 280