Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 833825 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3675 on: October 11, 2020, 06:19:56 am »

Is there an easier way to deal with toxic fallout other than tediously building roofed pathways between all buildings and then painfully assigning an area that travels exclusively under these roofed pathways and buildings? Because fucking hell do I hate that event.

Build like I do and just make giant connected roofed complexes to begin with ;)
Love, scriver~

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: November 12, 2020, 06:07:43 pm »

Finally picking the game back up now that my psychotically long modlist is mostly updated.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: November 13, 2020, 05:23:21 am »

In before patch arrives...
Love, scriver~

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: November 13, 2020, 11:18:23 am »

Is there an easier way to deal with toxic fallout other than tediously building roofed pathways between all buildings and then painfully assigning an area that travels exclusively under these roofed pathways and buildings? Because fucking hell do I hate that event.

Toxic fallout is annoying to deal with, having to assign guys to a special indoor zone if their toxic levels get too high, and I almost always forget about my animals until its too late and they have brain damage.  The real challenge that comes with toxic fallout is that it kills your crops on top of being annoying.

I usually go back and forth on disabling it every time I play, but end up leaving it on for some reason.

I always disable the short circuit and solar flare events, because there's no sensible counterplay, and also because goddamn it, electricity doesn't work like that!  Oops, all your turrets are offline right as the enemies show up, and your warehouse is on fire.

How much do you guys use mortars on defense? They completely trivialize ship parts and sieges (sieges just become a huge resource dump).  However those mortar shells use a LOT of metal...

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: November 13, 2020, 02:48:53 pm »

You should always use a greenhouse anyway, they are not affected by the toxic fallout. And I also tend to build fully enclosed and roofed bases as well.

The only case where a greenhouse is not enough is if you use a ton of animals, but then you deserve the fallout.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3680 on: November 13, 2020, 04:51:54 pm »

Enclosed farming is one of the first things I strive for, after ensuring everyone has a bed.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: November 13, 2020, 06:26:00 pm »

I like the toxic fallout event, though I agree there should be a way to set a simple stay inside order without having to manually designate. It is a major event that you know will happen eventually, that it's absolutely possible to prepare for and mitigate, but it happens so rarely that yer often not fully prepared when it hits.

Theres a mod that helps with the Zztt event called RTFuses.  Gives you some counterplay to the event without completely neutering it, build a few fuses and instead the zzt event just drains all the power on the circuit, and you need to spend some components to fix the fuses. Then the drained batteries you can mitigate by having another couple of fused batteries behind a switch, just turn the switch on and you have power again until everything recharges.

I think there's also a mod for solar flare counterplay, but don't use that one so not sure the details of it.

I always build 2 mortars (or modded equivalents). I don't use them against normal raids, only using them on stationary targets like sieges or stationary mechanoid events.  Though clusters I'll often not use them there either since mortars can destroy some useful loot.  I consider them a mid-lategame goal, you can often live without them, but stuff can get hairy if yer without them for more than a couple years.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: November 13, 2020, 09:23:53 pm »

I hate toxic fallout, because it mostly just forces you to do things you were already doing anyway. Like I've got indoor farms, and can totally hunker down in my base for a while... but I really don't want to, I've got better things to do with my time than just wait for it to pass.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: November 16, 2020, 12:06:59 pm »

I was designing a more efficient power network for my grid based colony designs and abandoned it because I realized it was making swastikas all over.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: November 18, 2020, 10:34:57 pm »

Decided to commit some warcrimes in Rimworld, but uh... Are there any mods to balance the Royalty quest rewards? I did a custom naked brutality (Tribal start, basically). By the end of the first season I had a LMG and jump pack already. I could have gotten a set of good armor too if I agreed to kill the person who stayed at my colony as part of the quest.

I mean, I could just not do the quests, but come on. A free LMG for having a free laborer show up for 8 days?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: November 19, 2020, 01:52:48 am »

Huh, in all my experience they send a pyromaniac who refuses to do any work, or has horrible death-plague or something for stuff like that.  Maybe you just got lucky?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: November 19, 2020, 02:45:49 am »

Decided to commit some warcrimes in Rimworld, but uh... Are there any mods to balance the Royalty quest rewards? I did a custom naked brutality (Tribal start, basically). By the end of the first season I had a LMG and jump pack already. I could have gotten a set of good armor too if I agreed to kill the person who stayed at my colony as part of the quest.

I mean, I could just not do the quests, but come on. A free LMG for having a free laborer show up for 8 days?

This might be a bit overkill for what you're looking for, but if your concern is tech jumps from loot a combination of Techprinting and Arcane Technology may help.

Basically, Arcane Technology limits (with settings) the amount of not-yet-researched technology your colonists can use, while Techprinting provides a way (again with settings) to break down items to accelerate (or unlock) research. Basically throttles down tech progression.

The mod dev also has Ignorance Is Bliss, which (once again with settings) allows you to limit to what degree you get harassed by higher-tech opponents like mechanoids, either as a flat limit or raising as you raise your own tech level.

The 1.2 patch also allows modifying quest rewards (as a relative value percentage, if I recall) as part of the storyteller settings.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: November 19, 2020, 02:54:48 am »

Awesome - I'll check it out. I have been using a mod which allows you to move up technology ranks (which is, for some reason, glued at whatever your embark was) which means starting Tribal is pretty enjoyable as you can actually build up to electricity and such. Breaking tech down for research makes more sense, though - so I might enjoy that.

Will check quest reward options.

@Grieger - not bad at all. Incapable of a few labors I didn't want them to do, and a misandrist, but my colonist is a female so no big deal.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: November 22, 2020, 07:36:22 pm »

I'm playing with a scientist in a mountain base commanding the largest droid army he can muster. Some raiders drop podded into the heliport and one managed to wound the scientist, the only organic pawn I'll allow myself to have. Thankfully he survived and the perpetrator was taken alive. Once the good doctor healed he removed the offenders hands and feet and vivisected him. Every day the doctor stops by to  treat his vivisection with top tier medical care to ensure it stands no chance of killing him. Every so often he's given wake up or go-juice to ensure there are moments of lucidity in the unimaginable agony.

The man will never die. When the game grows dull his insides will be put back where they belong and he'll be sent tottering off on a pair of peg legs bearing the gospel of the Mad Mountain: If you're going to shoot the devil you better not miss. 

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: November 22, 2020, 07:41:53 pm »

Pff. What about this game inspires such sadism? :P
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 278