Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 831878 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3540 on: March 10, 2020, 01:37:50 pm »

All right, so I just went onto the Steam Workshop and subscribed to the latest version of Androids (wasn't using it before) and upon activation, it didn't throw any errors. I noticed that your mod list is folders and not Steam icons, so I'm guessing that whatever problem you're having is prooobably unique to the version of Androids (and/or your other mods) you're getting from wherever you're getting them. I can't be completely certain because obviously Steam does all the work for me in keeping stuff up to date.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: March 10, 2020, 03:39:23 pm »

My meat puppet formerly known as Long broke, some sort of complication involving a catatonic breakdown, psychite withdrawal and who knows what else. He was kind of a mess before being lobotomised.

His title passed to Harper, the formerly Series 2 android who is know a Series 3. Lacking a brain he cannot use psychic powers. For now I shall simply keep gathering materials, researching technology and preparing for my ultimate goal.

Currently I face a shortage of gold. Uranium, steel, silver and plasteel are all found in droves under my colony, but I am struggling to find gold with the ground scanner, which limits the number of androids and associated items I can fabricate.

EDIT: The SkyCloud Core is proving a bit irritating. The ability to freely distribute copies of a mind between colonists is very useful, as is the essential immortality of the mind and skills, but every time power fluctuates or a solar flare occurs the core shuts down and all attached bodies fall unconcscious until power is restored and the core reboots. I think it's possible with some of the other items to just clone a mind through multiple bodies, which is starting to look like the more attractive option.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 07:47:37 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: March 10, 2020, 08:49:18 pm »

EDIT: The SkyCloud Core is proving a bit irritating. The ability to freely distribute copies of a mind between colonists is very useful, as is the essential immortality of the mind and skills, but every time power fluctuates or a solar flare occurs the core shuts down and all attached bodies fall unconcscious until power is restored and the core reboots. I think it's possible with some of the other items to just clone a mind through multiple bodies, which is starting to look like the more attractive option.
Solar flares are knocking out your SkyCloud link? Clearly that pesky sun needs to be taught a lesson. Where's my "blow up the sun" mod?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3543 on: March 11, 2020, 05:08:50 am »

idk about blowing up the sun but you could build a solar flare shield https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=728315620

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: March 11, 2020, 08:01:42 am »

1.5 years on Randy rough\savage\Cassandra savage, progressively, have given me grand total of four raids, one manhunter pack (3 muffalos, so free meat) and one disease (mechanites, at that). Either my semi-broken mods are subtly messing with raid frequency, i'm stupidly unlucky or game became unplayably easy. I assume it's the former. By the way, are there mods that add back all the non-raid threats that were removed from the game? You simply can't have any food issues without crop blight, however annoying and arbitrary it was, unless your whole base and most of the map had burned down (or you are starting on ice sheet?). More damaging malpractices were !FUNNYER!. And i remember that my first colonies in A16-17 died to disease pretty frequently). And what's up with removed extreme difficulty? Were it actually removed or it is "savage" now?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:48:51 am by MCreeper »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: March 11, 2020, 09:28:10 am »

By the way, are there mods that add back all the non-raid threats that were removed from the game?

Wait, what? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think non-raid threats were removed from the game. Had crop blight wipe out a decent chunk of my agriculture last night...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3546 on: March 11, 2020, 10:35:41 am »

Blight used to be much much worse though. Now it blights crops and will spread if you don't cut the blighted ones. Before it would just suddenly delete large portions of your field.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: March 11, 2020, 10:42:01 am »

One more way to lose all your food - accept EMI dinamo quest, when you have just meat, prepared meals and a bunch of ready to harvest corn  :P. I thought it would be faster and easier. Destroyed one mechanoid factory at the cost of royal aid and the lung by making mech cannons accidentaly hit it instead of my colonists, went back to base to research and craft mortars, which seem to be necessary to destroy dinamo itself (i hope it is possible without electricity, or else i'm in "can't get ye flask" situation).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:44:43 am by MCreeper »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: March 11, 2020, 11:06:05 am »

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that (blight being worse in the past, that is).

As to mods that add non-raid threats, here are a few:

Sort of semi-raid, but there's also a mod that adds some additional types of 'crashed bad ship'. Defoliant (i.e. fire fire fire) ship in particular can be something of a curve ball.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: March 11, 2020, 12:52:53 pm »

Damn, that brings back memories. Thank god they removed tornadoes. Awful implementation.[/list]
Love, scriver~

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: March 11, 2020, 05:03:01 pm »

Yeah, can't say I liked 'em either. Of the ones I listed I only use Vanilla Events Expanded and the additional crashed ship dangers, which I do on the whole find to be good additions.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: March 13, 2020, 09:42:48 am »

My androids have now pierced the heavens and are establishing an orbital colony from which to begin the decimation of organic sapience on the planet below.

Shuttles are ferrying resources back and forth so A-Alpha can construct additional components of the ship in orbit. In time I'll shift everything important up there and begin mass manufacturing combat focused androids and maybe some genetic monstrosities to drop into settlements below.

I currently lack transports capable of carrying my M7 war mech, so in the meantime my combat plan is to drop multiple melee focused androids into settlements, kill or abduct the residents and then carry anything of value back into orbit. Abudctees will then become surrogates for the machine intelligence.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 09:46:03 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: March 13, 2020, 12:16:42 pm »

screenshots or gtfo
it's over

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3553 on: March 13, 2020, 04:26:55 pm »

screenshots or gtfo
Personal Text appropriate.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: March 13, 2020, 09:01:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So after losing three of my mining androids to a manhunting caribou herd I got a bit frustrated and god mode spawned in a Pelican SRTS from the SRTS Expanded mod so I could deploy my warmech, which was otherwise stuck on my space ship, into a fight to vent my frustrations because I couldn't be bothered waiting another few hours to finish researching the blasted thing.

I sent two new mining androids I had made to the space station prior to launching the attack and decided to bring them along to help carry things. This went poorly, because of course it did. There were enough tribals at the camp I attacked for some to encircle me and attack the miners. One died and the other was too damaged to help load the shuttle.

The warmech made short work of the tribals. Killed about 10 of the villagers, disabled two and drove the rest off with only minimal support. Turns out a giant robot kills people who think armour should be made out of wood pretty easily, who'd have guessed?

I took the two disabled ones captive, but I was foolish about loading loot onto the Pelican and had to leave them behind because I was running out of time before the site would automatically shunt me to caravan mode and destroy everything.

I've decided I'm definitely going to put any further attacks on hold until I have a proper army set up. A few K-9 droids, some militarised drones with clubs to knock people out, maybe even another M7 warmech. In the meantime it takes bloody forever to load up shuttles with materials, so that's going to be a large part of my gameplay for a while.

Building the spaceship in space takes bloody ages, and it doesn't help I forgot I'd left three of my four drills on uranium deposits back in the ground base, so I'm running low on steel to ship up and turn into heating devices and workstations. Of course I also sent all my plasteel up to build hull plates and walls out of, so I'm low on materials to build new androids out of on the ground.

Once I've finished up researching the Pelican I think I'll dip into the Genetic Rim techs. Been a while since I last used it, but I recall Muffalorats being an effective swarm tactic warbeast.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 09:04:15 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 278