Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856400 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3135 on: October 28, 2018, 11:49:35 am »

Should have been everyone; most of its quality of life so I don't see a reason not to (unless you want your bionic parts to remain top tier).

So, I just opened an ancient cryosleep casket and what popped out where 1 heavily wounded slave, 1 wounded ancient soldier, 2 ancient soldiers that just wanted to leave, and 1 ancient soldier who immediately took go-juice and opened up with a chain shotgun on both the other sleepers and my colonists (I had more guns than him, things did not go his way).  I'm sure there's some kind of story there but the more I click around on the sleepers the weirder it gets.
  • One of them was my architect's daughter-in-law and married to the faction leader of the ancient soldiers.  I checked and yes, that means my architect's son is the leader of the ancient soldiers faction.
  • Said daughter in law is so lazy she has all but 5 skills disabled, including combat.  Despite that she had power armor equipped, I'm really curious what the fuck was going on when they got in those caskets (yes I know mechanically there's no answer).
  • The "ancient soldiers" are hardly ancient; the oldest was 155 chronologically.  Even in real life that's not ancient.
  • The wounded ancient soldier is a body purist, and dislikes many of my colonists as a result (we're a bunch of Adam Jensen wannabes).
  • Said body purist has a bionic heart.  What the hell.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: October 28, 2018, 04:04:57 pm »

Oh sweet, tamed a breeding pair of rhinoceroses. It's a shame they take years for effective reproduction though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: October 28, 2018, 04:11:33 pm »

So what are some of the best mods for 1.0? Personally I've been eying the Psychology mod for more variety and subtlety in colonists, and perhaps Prepare Carefully so I can set up silly challenges. Probably some QoL mods that add things such as doormats for pawns to wipe their feet on.

Also considering big mods like Star Wars or Lovecraft, though they won't all be running at the same time.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: October 28, 2018, 08:35:48 pm »

Spoiler: Um... (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: October 28, 2018, 08:52:20 pm »

If any of your colonists have Bloodlust or Cannibal traits, they'll get a mood boost from wearing that.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: October 28, 2018, 08:57:31 pm »

The Rim of Madness and Call of Cthulu mods go together a suite to make different and exciting game. Androids can also be really fun. My favorite mods tend to be the ones that change how things work.

Mod switch: I cannot think of a reason to not have this mod. Mod Switch remembers your mod configuration and you can save multiple templates. You can have one loadout for Call of Cthulu one for Star Wars, and a thousand others depending on your preferences.

Power Switch: Power switches can now be set to turn on based on the time of day, proximity of friendly pawns, or proximity of hostile pawns. This helps you use power smarter, automatically unplug the workshop when nobody's awake to work, leave your turrets off until you need them, or disable lights until pawns are around to need them. Added bonus: underground conduits, put them wherever you want without uglying up your base.

Camera+ zoom in closer, zoom out further, you don't realize how much you needed it until you use it.

Silent doors: If you have more than one pawn and you don't want to go insane to the chorus of WOOSH WOOSH WOOSH you definitely need silent doors.
Rimworld Search Agency: Adds a search bar to many menus so when you're customizing a stockpile or outfit you can avoid a great deal of looking.

Allow Tool: So many great features, it creates the haul urgently labor which is a higher priority than general hauling and only applies to items you've designated- that way if you want to get some expensive goods out of the rain you can make sure that your pawns don't save them for last. Also adds the "Finish off" labor which is basically cutting the throats of downed enemies, it prevents that awkward situation where a mercy kill takes three hours and fifty bullets.

Fluffy Breakdowns: Reworks component failure. There's normally a random chance for any item with a component to break down any given day, so big bases devour components that can be a pain in the ass to keep stocked. Fluffy Breakdowns makes it so that items with components have a Maintenance stat that falls with time and grows when  pawns work on them. Pawns work more often but losing a component happens because you didn't manage your colony well not because your prayers to the RNG didn't pan out.

Custom Death Randomness: When a pawn goes down there's a chance they'll instantly die, with Custom Death Randomness you can choose how likely that is.

More planning: Plan in ten different colors, tweak the transparency of your plans or set them to invisible, remove different colors individually- it all comes together to make planning out a base BEFORE you start building that much easier.

Blueprints: Do you have a building design that you really like or at least plan to use again? Save the blueprint and paste it wherever you want. You can export a design with two clicks and then import into any game with two more. I have a whole list of 7x7 and 13x13 rooms that I just plug in on a grid- it lets me spend less time obsessing over design.

Prison Labor: As the name implies your pawns can force prisoner to performing labors, if you combine it with Quarry it's a qood way to turn a drain on your food reserves into a net benefit without resorting to slavery or well,western apparel.

Set up camp: When in caravan mode you can "Set up camp" creating a tiny map where you can do anything you normally would. Not only is it fun you can do quite a lot with it, for example you can send out groups to hunt, collect wood, or do some mining then pull up stakes and bring the resources back.

Change Dresser: Store infinite clothes inside of the dresser, let pawns change their outfits from the dresser, even automatically donning certain outfits when drafted.

Weapon storage: Same basic thing but for weapons.

I could go on all day, there's a lot of good stuff out there.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: October 28, 2018, 10:13:43 pm »

So here's a question, I can see in prepare carefully there is a mechanic for dying clothes.   Is there a way to actually do that ingame or with mods?  Cuz I kinda like the idea of everyone kinda having star trek styled colors in their outfits (even if they are not uniforms per se), but other than their starting clothes I can't keep them color coded, once I upgrade them out of their cheap starting clothes, and it bugs me more than it rightly should.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: October 28, 2018, 10:18:45 pm »

So here's a question, I can see in prepare carefully there is a mechanic for dying clothes.   Is there a way to actually do that ingame or with mods?  Cuz I kinda like the idea of everyone kinda having star trek styled colors in their outfits (even if they are not uniforms per se), but other than their starting clothes I can't keep them color coded, once I upgrade them out of their cheap starting clothes, and it bugs me more than it rightly should.

Forgot to mention, Change Dresser let's you customize pawn's clothing and appearance. Excellent for making uniforms. Chickenplucker's clothing mods feature outifts that count as shirts and pants and have interesting effects allowing you to outfit pawns based on their job.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: October 29, 2018, 12:26:44 am »

In vanilla the way you dye clothes is to make all of your clothing out of the same type of textile.  I *think* the only way you could do colored uniforms would be to make different outfit types for each type of worker (so one person gets the plainleather t-shirt, the other gets the cloth button down shirt).  Its not necessarily that outlandish considering soldiers want different clothing than workers, but yeah, for what you're doing mods could help.  Leather and devilstrand being single-color makes sense but cloth from cotton makes random colored clothes IIRC so they're clearly dyeing it anyway.

Unrelated: I've been using advanced helmets with marine armor as my go-to soldier uniform.  Am I missing something by not going with marine helmets?  My soldiers only equip their marine armor for battle or travel so if I use marine helmets I'm gonna need to make both types.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: October 29, 2018, 02:26:38 am »

You can buy dyed cloth from traders, and clothes will inherit the color of that fabric. But cloth is obviously an inferior material, so the only way to get something like colorful power armor is to also buy it.

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: October 31, 2018, 05:35:05 am »

Things haven't been going well, I misjudged how much food I had, and am running very low. Had to kill off the ankle-biters because they're probably responsible for eating the entire stock of prepared meals. Grenade-mom and another colonist got into a fight; she bit off one of his toes, and has a permanent bite scar on her arm from him in return. Then she went temporarily necrophiliac, dug up the very first corpse we buried and dropped it on the dining room table.

Feeding the animals has also been hard. I discovered that a large field of dandelions is fairly quick to plant, quick to grow, and can hopefully provide ample nutrition for 30+ grazers. That it requires constant replanting should also raise some Plant skills for the growers.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: October 31, 2018, 07:47:23 am »

My animal husbandry is all about boars. They both graze and eat corpses so if you keep raiders on ice you can keep them happy all year round.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: October 31, 2018, 03:49:24 pm »

Feeding the animals has also been hard. I discovered that a large field of dandelions is fairly quick to plant, quick to grow, and can hopefully provide ample nutrition for 30+ grazers. That it requires constant replanting should also raise some Plant skills for the growers.
A grown dandelion provides 0.18 nutrition, and grows in 4.5 days. That's 0.04 nutrition per day.

A haygrass tile provides 1.05 nutrition, and grows in 13 days. That's 0.08 nutrition per day. Two times more efficient than dandelions.

That means that you need double farm space for dandelion growth, so if you see my earlier post about farm size, for 30 muffalos that would be 1080 farm tiles (33x33 farm). For haygrass that would be 540 farm tiles (23x23 farm).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 03:53:39 pm by Blue_Dwarf »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: October 31, 2018, 04:03:49 pm »

A grown dandelion provides 0.18 nutrition, and grows in 4.5 days. That's 0.04 nutrition per day.

A haygrass tile provides 1.05 nutrition, and grows in 13 days. That's 0.08 nutrition per day. Two times more efficient than dandelions.

That means that you need double farm space for dandelion growth, so if you see my earlier post about farm size, for 30 muffalos that would be 1080 farm tiles (33x33 farm). For haygrass that would be 540 farm tiles (23x23 farm).
Dandelions are also twice as quick to plant, and provide far less nutrition per tile. Given that a lot of smaller grazing animals consume less than a full haygrass tile's 1.05 nutrition per feeding, yet still use up the full tile when they do so, dandelions are a far superior grazing animal foodsource unless you also take the time to wait till the haygrass is fully grown, harvest it, and move it to the animal zone so that it's only consumed in regular 0.05 nutrition pieces.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: October 31, 2018, 04:10:15 pm »

I clocked about 100h in the alpha. The game is surprisingly similar in 1.0, but now I almost enjoy the convoys more than the base. :P

However, I never played Randy Random before. It just seems easier than what I remember with Cassandra. Just the beginning, but still. I had to wall off things then, now I just put a couple of sandbags and the bad guys get mowed down in the open fields. Lost a guy to some genius who walled in a grizzly in a common room though.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 280