Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856425 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3105 on: October 18, 2018, 01:43:11 pm »

There was at least 3.
One of them.
 But it didn't looked that there was that much interest in succesion games in times when i visited the forum. Also, it wasn't\isn't possible to place spoilers on the official forum, so succession games are pain to read.
There more on the reddit, it's absolutely not DF level but there's quite a few.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: October 18, 2018, 08:05:12 pm »

I've been playing Rimworld on my friend's account and I'm now interested in buying it as well. But just a couple of questions. Is there any way of, Multiplayer? I heard there's none, but even Succession games? Do we have those on Rinworld as well? I must consider that before buying it...

There is(was?) a mod that lets you chat with other players and trade resources with them, but aside from that, no. I don't think there are any other forms of online multiplayer outside of succession games.

Edit: found it https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1474002997&searchtext=chat
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:06:44 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: October 19, 2018, 09:44:42 am »

I'm gonna wait for this Black Friday and hope that Steam get me a good price on Rimworld so I can buy it. Buying a new pc and a new phone at the same time has hurt my wallet pretty bad :(
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: October 19, 2018, 10:06:25 am »

I'm gonna wait for this Black Friday and hope that Steam get me a good price on Rimworld so I can buy it.
From what I read, the dev do nto want Rimworld to go on sale anytime soon, so I doubt the price will change this year...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: October 19, 2018, 10:15:36 am »

Heh... why not just keep playing on your current version?
Assuming you have a save you were hoping to resume.

half mods updated in place, so even if you keep on the old branch there's no guarantee modded games would still work

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: October 19, 2018, 01:18:59 pm »

I'm gonna wait for this Black Friday and hope that Steam get me a good price on Rimworld so I can buy it.
From what I read, the dev do nto want Rimworld to go on sale anytime soon, so I doubt the price will change this year...

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: October 20, 2018, 05:38:59 am »

Just barely into the first summer in a temperate forest biome whose temperatures swing from just freezing to heatstroke, and our main shooter gets the plague. Thankfully putting some industrial-quality medicine into her put her immunity gain to nearly double the illness progression.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dunqan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: October 21, 2018, 10:48:19 am »

You can buy it straight from the dev’s site - I think then you get a Steam copy and a drm-free copy.  This is handy if you want to run one instance with a hard to replicate Mod config like the Hardcore one (that’s currently only on B18).

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: October 21, 2018, 05:45:57 pm »

A couple of boomrats, along with a few normal rats, wandered into my base. Several had malnutrition. Someone dropped a basket of berries on the ground, though how I don't know since we haven't had any for days since the weather got cold(~0°C normal, -10°C daytime highs due to cold snap). Saw a few more boomrats and a normal rat just north of my base, and I had my hunter shoot the normal one. Boomrats swarmed the dead rat, biting off whatever they could.

I figured they were far enough away, so I shot one of the boomrats. It exploded, and when the flames cleared from the corpse, the other boomrats swarmed it too.

It's only late fall. Winter is coming, that's for sure.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: October 23, 2018, 05:01:42 pm »

Hi, I'm Broseph and I am a Modaholic. I subscribed to 435 mods on the steam workshop and  downloaded another dozen from the Ludeon Forums. I have no idea how many were deprecated or redundant. At the height of my addiction I would play games on my phone while waiting for Rimworld to load my absurd modlist. I unsubscribed and deleted all of them and am now putting together a more responsible slate of mods beginning with a modswitch configuration for Rim of Madness.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: October 24, 2018, 08:06:46 pm »

A couple of neat tricks:

In my current game, my food prep area is located a significant distance from the main compound, as the kitchen was build closer to rich soil. As such, I have two freezer rooms, one for raw food by the food prep, and another in the main base for meals. The minor time-saving trick is, have the raw food stockpile accept meals, but have the meal stockpile on a higher priority. Then, on the bill at the stove to produce the meals, go into the details for it, and have it send the meals to the raw food stockpile next to the stove(default is highest-priority stockpile) - the cook deposits the completed meal in the nearby stockpile rather than walking across the base to put it in the meal freezer. Later on, a person with hauling duty will grab the stack of meals and bring all of them at once to the main base.

Another trick I came up with when an 8-year-old boomrat self-tamed and I didn't want to keep it(8 years is their lifespan by the way), I restricted it to a few tiles of water, then slaughtered it. It exploded, but since it was in water, there was no fires or even explosion damage to the slaughterer despite standing over it.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: October 25, 2018, 07:54:31 am »

(8 years is their lifespan by the way)

It's not like it's going to immediately die after the 8 years, it'll simply start getting heart attacks and other health issues more frequently.

But the trick is quite interesting. I used to send them to rocky terrain or stone room corners to execute them.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: October 25, 2018, 10:17:33 am »

I like launching them into the center of a hostile camp with one pawn on the outskirts to spectate.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: October 25, 2018, 02:48:47 pm »

Haha I did that once I actually managed to beat a small camp with that tactic and a boomalope a month or so ago.  The AI storyteller kept making the local boomalope self tame, I sold most of them all at once but the trader didn't have enough silver for the last one.

So I grabbed my hunter, threw her on a horse, made the boomalope her pet and went to a pirate camp.  The boomalope took out both the defenders by itself, all the hunter had to do was take out the turret and loot what she could before the place burned to the ground.

Good times.

EDIT to avoid the sin of doubleposting:
So a new colony and one of my (nerfed)argonian colonists was killed pretty early by a utahraptor while bringing in the hunting haul.  She has a sister in the colony, my badass shadowscale soldier.  She absolutely ruins the raptor that killed her sister and retrieves the body, putting it in a sarcophagus.  I considered it a somewhat sad moment, as even with the psycopath trait she was affected by the death of her sister.  Then I noticed what she engraved on the sarcophagus.

I suspect my soldier is into some really creepy and kinky stuff involving family members....
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 04:41:29 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: October 25, 2018, 04:57:01 pm »

Heh, for the first time, my raw food freezer(68 squares) is actually full. Several days of almost continuous harvest, in part due to variable soil quality, kept almost everyone busy. Meat was running a bit low besides that, since half the animals on the map were boomalopes... but then it started raining. So now there's plenty of meat too. The freezer also keeps the stock of herbal medicine.

I've got lavish meals queued up to trim some of the excess. I've also got over 5000 units of hay in the feed storage, and near a dozen each muffalo and alpacas to feed on it.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 280