Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856691 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2790 on: September 18, 2017, 07:47:59 pm »

I think I've had exactly one caravan request that I had any chance of fulfilling. :))

Not much interesting happening to my colony at the moment. Just blasted a raid straight off the map because they were dumb enough to "prepare for a while" before attacking... yeah mortars are pretty OP when your opponents are standing still. Oh, and we had (my first!) infestation, but managed to take care of that.
Only casualty (as far as I can remember) involved a guy shooting his pet goat in the kidney after it wandered in front of the troops. ::)   

Edit: By far the worst emergency we've had in a long time is the current drug shortage.
Stupid fucks neglected to keep the generator for the coca greenhouse fuelled, so the coca wasn't growing. Ugh.
Had to harvest the few fairly-grown plants early and have people working their asses off to turn it into drugs. Hopefully that's enough to keep us going 'til the real harvest, and hopefully we'll be back to having enough to trade soon enough.
Might be a good idea to switch the drug plantation over to the geothermally-fuelled field now that I have one... I'd planned on using that for emergency food, though.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:00:20 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: October 10, 2017, 09:04:03 am »

Spoiler: Ha ha ha (click to show/hide)

In other news, my colony's kinda gone to shit lately. Haven't been savescumming (good thing), also haven't been keeping count of the dead (probably not so good). The starting colonist from whom we took the name of our faction snorted our whole drug supply up her nose when I wasn't looking... that was quite sad. This game actually models tolerance to hard drugs kinda accurately. :-\

A few other pawns have died... most notably, the sociopathic expert surgeon and researcher, Burban, who was downed and then tragically finished off by some raider with bombs. I guess having her try to flank them from the building she was in as they passed en route to the rest of the colony was a bad idea... not sure why she really even had that assault rifle to begin with, her shooting skill was like 3.
Most everyone else is still on the verge of snapping as I try to juggle everyone's (well apart from a couple of pawns) drug habits while our psychoid plantation slowly grows. This whole drug-drought wouldn't have started if these chucklefucks hadn't neglected to keep the greenhouse generator fuelled several seasons ago. ::)
...And if I hadn't failed to notice it sooner, I guess.
Booze is Life for Yoink

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: October 10, 2017, 02:15:38 pm »

I'm really enjoying the animal people mod in conjunction with the prison labor mod.  I have enslaved animal people working in the mines.  Heh heh heh.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: October 19, 2017, 03:21:08 am »

Toxic fallout drags onwards. I extended the covered walkways out to the recently-built indoor farm and its gigantic mounds of potatoes, so at least we aren't likely to run out of food this time.

Even if we were, there are mountains upon mountains of dead things littering the landscape around the fort... reckon I might make my people do shifts gathering and butchering 'em, to ensure we get at least some of this mess turned into food before it rots.

Also, I am sorely tempted to pump my useless, double-peglegged chef full of luciferium and work him 'til he dies. Whiny bastard doesn't seem to have any traits that aught to make him so useless, but he seems to have a mental break (that ends with him either getting high and collapsing or going berserk and being shot and/or beaten down) every bloody day.
I have another, far more reliable pawn who has almost the same cooking skill. Don't really need to put up with this jerk's crap. He better pull his socks up...
Booze is Life for Yoink

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: October 19, 2017, 03:43:02 am »

Why not achieve both simultaneously by having johnny McNoLegs procure said meat in the irradiated wilderness and promptly cook it, ad infinitum, until the bastard dies of rad poisoning or gets mauled by a half-dead cougar?
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: October 19, 2017, 03:51:05 am »

Came back to this game after a while, holy crap tribal invasions can get nasty... Four guys with miniguns and the rest on LMG's did nothing to thin out the invasion, thankfully we had one nutjob with an incendiary launcher to make a safety wall for us as we regrouped and licked our wounds before going back at them with two bionic-legged and eyed snipers kiting them out.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: October 19, 2017, 10:17:01 am »

I should probably try this. I've been recommending it to anyone who thinks that the point of dwarf fortress is fortress mode--not out of sarcasm, I just legit think rimworld would be a better fit, since it actually is a game whose focus is fortress mode-like gameplay and it seems to do damn well--but it feels weird to recommend something I've never even tried

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: October 19, 2017, 12:07:17 pm »

Although there are similarities between the two, in that they are both colony management games, there's also pretty significant differences in scope, goal, and style. I'd say enough so that if someone really likes fortress mode there isn't a garentee that they'll like rimworld better... At least I'd say I think of fortress mode as the most important mode to me, and I like it more then I like rimworld, although I do think that rimworld is a fine game.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:09:44 pm by Criptfeind »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: October 19, 2017, 12:19:25 pm »

Rimworld is a whole lot easier to get into at the very least.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: October 19, 2017, 07:45:00 pm »

Rimworld's just easier, it lacks the colony building depth of DF. You don't dig down for resources, you don't make multi-z-level forts, you don't do megaprojects, every one of your items is a simple one step item, it overall is simpler but more entertaining to watch than DF. That's not to say it's a bad game, it's great, I have it in my top ten alongside DA:O actually. It's just not as varied as DF, so I find it not as repayable and just oddly easy. Really if someone asked me if they should get into Rimworld I'd steer them to DF's Fortress Mode, as it's free+bigger+more rewarding.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: October 19, 2017, 07:50:17 pm »

I like DF fortress mode better than Rimworld.

Rimworld kind of feels like its actively trying to kill you out of some malicious grudge or something.

DF it feels like it's just a byproduct of the world. and many deaths are from your own mistakes or accidents. 
when you loose in DF you think "If only I'd done X, or done Y sooner"

Rimworld just feels like you don't have any control.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: October 20, 2017, 01:29:38 pm »

I like DF fortress mode better than Rimworld.

Rimworld kind of feels like its actively trying to kill you out of some malicious grudge or something.

DF it feels like it's just a byproduct of the world. and many deaths are from your own mistakes or accidents. 
when you loose in DF you think "If only I'd done X, or done Y sooner"

Rimworld just feels like you don't have any control.

That's because it is trying to kill you, unless you pick the easiest base-building ai setting.

DF doesn't really care if you live or not because it doesn't have an AI running it in the background. It just is.

Makes for a very different feel despite the base similarities in the games.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: October 21, 2017, 02:00:57 am »

Some stupid colonist is dead, they brought a huge pirate wave with them so I let them parish, but their corpse is now in the list just laying there dead, with an X over it but not going away... Reloading didn't change anything.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: October 21, 2017, 03:25:36 am »

That should go away after you deal with the body.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: October 21, 2017, 04:09:39 am »

Yep, went away after we buried them, thank god that was going to be annoying. Phoebe blessed us with a pair of beer drops, both around 40-ish, so everyone's now on a beer a day to keep spirits up in this hell hole. We've got a great smith, he's pumping out exceptional and superior guns like candy, and the bulk good traders took a ton of silver in exchange for components to keep him busy. Hoping to arm the group with: 1 LMG, 2 Assault Rifles, 1 Sniper, and 1 Chain shotgun. We have a pair of bandit camps to raid, one gets us a flatscreen, the other gets us a legendary hospital bed, both of which shall be going in the hospital. And blessed be the tailor that finally got everyone clothes, we've spent a year naked already.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 04:14:54 am by StagnantSoul »
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 280