Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 833755 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2415 on: March 29, 2017, 09:39:40 pm »

Rimworld PvP? :P

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: March 30, 2017, 01:39:40 am »

If retiring saves and/or settlements was possible, dont see why not.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: March 30, 2017, 01:18:02 pm »

Could anyone give a tiny gist or guide to RImworld mod: Jecrell's Cults? :O I'd love to know if there's a manual in game that gives data or info about all the spells and 4 deities but yeah ._.;

Also nice seeing you on ludeon forums, CP :D

I'm less online than I would like because I just started a new job, and because I'm on my mobile data until I get internet at home next week (hopefully), and I need to save my GB for looking up data at work. But if you PM me in either forum I can try to answer to the extent of my knowledge. (Who are you in Ludeon, btw?)

The gods effects: brief summary

Cthulhu:
- Likely the best. Orbital insanity wave makes ships crash into the planet and deliver luxury goods.  Can deliver some very nice and otherwise very expensive goodies. High success rate.
- Manifest Tentacle and Psionic Brain:  Both are pretty decent, they will substitute a limb with a higher-functioning appendage. Can regenerate lost bodyparts&cure diseases in said bodypart. Psionic brain is actually targetteable and a good fix for brain damage
- Terrestial insanity wave: Never tried it, probably a good counter for massive sieges. I think it's better to make a sufficiently deadly killing ground, but it might work as an emergency button

Dagon: Not completely bad, but meh'ish. I think that as it stands now it's OK to build a little piety, but when it becomes impossible to build and keep piety with all the gods at once, I'd say his boons are the weakest of the lot. Sunken ship and lost treasure can deliver some sorely needed raw materials at times, and so they're not actually bad, but you're probably better off casting Orbital Insanity Wave and using whatever you dont need to buy whatever you actually want. Protect the Brood sucks: There's no guarantee that the summoned deep ones wont actually eat your pawns (or break through your base. Or eat friendlies...) while they're on their way to Dagon's circle. Didn't actually try tier 4.

Shub Niggurath: Pretty weak, IMO. To each his own. I'll admit I never tried most of the spells
- Fertility totem: There are better ways to grow crops, and it boosts production over a small area for a very short time.
- Black goats: ... I believe you have to hunt them afterwards, and have nasty stats. Haven't tried it because it doesn't seem very useful
- Forbidden knowledge: It can be useful if you have a big project and surplus sacrifice victims, but you can get this one from Nyarlathotep as well
I never got to use the higher tier spells because I felt the lower tier ones were underwhelming TBH

Hastur: This one I've tried little as well. I believe the most interesting thing he has is the summoning of Byakhees, which should actually be a very good transport system... but with a caveat: they are kind of buggy. They're supposed to be fixed now, but be wary of gamebreaking bugs and always save before using them. I never tried the unspeakable oath, but I figure it might be nice, too.

Nyarlathotep

- Starry wisdom will turn casters into psychopaths, and psychopath casters into cannibals. Can be casted more than once. It's not very useful, but arguably making citizens into psychopaths is a good move if you're sacrificing a lot, as to avoid debuffs (and cannibalism can mean having unlimited foodstuffs made from raiders, with a huge morale bonus)

- Forbidden knowledge: Like in Shub, but with better companion-spells.

- Chaos theory: This one is actually pretty good: You can use it to remove forbidden tasks from pawns, so you can use anyone for anything.

- Dark Emissary: Pretty overpowered, IMO. Sacrifice one prisoner, instantly get two cult-minded immigrants.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: March 30, 2017, 05:12:49 pm »

I'm less online than I would like because I just started a new job, and because I'm on my mobile data until I get internet at home next week (hopefully), and I need to save my GB for looking up data at work. But if you PM me in either forum I can try to answer to the extent of my knowledge. (Who are you in Ludeon, btw?)
I don't have an account htere--I'm ALWAYS Tiruin with the same details shown as my profile, usually, as I found that that name wasn't used by other people a lot. Although when I had performed a search of my name online it showed someone else who had it before me [and they're a cool person, along with having made a nice song :D]

Anyway...thanks a ton for those details :3 Is it possible to run a separate colony with drop pods linking things together? I've always planned that since I got extra details from Jecrell about the cult mod being save friendly.

...Just unsure if that would help or how spells would be map-compatible. I did find a line in the .xml files on there being 'limited to map' effects which seem absolutely useful though! Also unsure if that breaks trade caravans as by then, I'll have 2 colonies ._.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: March 31, 2017, 11:18:48 am »

So I recently started playing this too. Manages to hold my attention thus far. Still on my first colony, nearing the end of second year, no mods. People are missing limbs and other bodyparts just left and right. Feels a lot like dwarf fortress in that regard. :P

Art descriptions are scarce, but fun. Got a statue apparently composed of hundreds of carefully arranged tiny bears. Would really like to be able to make paintings to hang in rooms, but apparently that technology has been lost to time.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: April 03, 2017, 08:28:14 am »

I decided to hunt elephants with an untraditional method: Blow them up with my rocket complex from More Turrets Mod!

Here are the results:

It's a pretty inefficient way of hunting, but I would lie if I said that method isn't fun! Shoot rockets at a group of elephants, they'll bleed to death eventually, and then collect the corpses! Oh, and the majority of smaller animals will die in 1-2 rocket blasts, so I guess it's effective if you want to kill goats/gazelles/deer/other pack animals. So try it out!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: April 14, 2017, 01:08:41 am »

Just logged my 1,000th hour of Rimworld. The blueprint mod and planning mods are definite musts going forward

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: April 16, 2017, 05:44:48 am »

Hello there! I've won the game again by launching a spaceship and I have plans for Rough Cassandra Tundra! The problem is, I want to improve my base design skills since my first colony had a rather bad design (the second one was better, but still not great). Can you, gorgeous people, share some of your colony designs? With screenshots, preferably, but a plain text will do too!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: April 16, 2017, 06:04:10 am »

This was my base just prior the launch of my ship.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everything's turned off and mothballed, but most things are still visible.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: April 16, 2017, 06:54:19 am »

This was my base just prior the launch of my ship.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everything's turned off and mothballed, but most things are still visible.
u_u
Disappointment may hit you hard when you finally launch off. The skeletal framework of Rimworld exists--but you sadly can't build ACTUAL, FANCY, ENCLOSED ships. The only things that will 'take off' will be everything made from the ship screen: Nothing else is included (that means batteries, walls, roof, floor, and otherwise) :P

Was really a disappointment for me when I first did it. But it's early access still, and I'm happy the framework is in place.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: April 16, 2017, 07:41:35 am »

Oh I knew it won't all launch off, it's kinda obvious from the way the ship mechanics are set up. :P

On the plus side, I managed to stuff both of the colony's bonded animals into the ship caskets, so we left no one behind.
(one of said animals was an elephant. Cryptosleep caskets confirmed as using TARDIS technology)

I have half a mind to start a mod that will add ship hull and other things that will launch off along with the ship but have no other practical purpose. :)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: April 17, 2017, 05:57:20 pm »

It took me ages to figure out what was happening but I had that happen to me too, and turning off Hospitality fixed the issue. I don't know if it doesn't like one of my other mods, or if it's broken on its own, but either way it was definitely responsible.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: April 19, 2017, 08:50:14 am »

Quick, probably stupid question: when you abandon a site in the game, is it lost forever or can you revisit/reclaim it?
I'm guessing the former, which is saddening. I kind of want to jettison my old base to improve performance, but I don't want to lose it entirely.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: April 19, 2017, 09:21:27 am »

Yeah, old sites are completely lost to time. Exactly because they are not kept in memory. There's no mechanic to simulate passage of time for abandoned bases, which is likely why it's not possible. Maybe later on sometime.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: April 19, 2017, 09:54:50 am »

Thanks for the answer! :)
I guess I'll keep the performance hit, at least until I move on to a new game.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 278