Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854748 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2025 on: December 01, 2016, 10:20:13 pm »

If it helps any solar panels don't block them either.

That's good to know, I don't think I've ever tried that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: December 01, 2016, 10:47:48 pm »

Crops dont block wind turbines...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: December 01, 2016, 11:07:37 pm »

If it helps any solar panels don't block them either.

That's good to know, I don't think I've ever tried that.
Solar panels/crops also block trees from growing so...that helps clearance for the wind to pass. :3
Fun fact--the mod (I forgot the name, it's like crenellations in walls that allow shooting) allows wind to pass through it if it's only that wall-type, and not vanilla walls. Walls/Roofs block the wind. Mountain roofs block the wind. Thin rock roofs can be deconstructed, so 1 to 2 tiles of stone wall can still mean space for your windmills. Bushes/crops do not block wind. Sandbags don't block wind. Traps and turrets don't block wind. Workshops don't either (that includes the nutripaste thing which looks huge, and the cremator, last I checked?).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:19:42 pm by Tiruin »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: December 02, 2016, 12:35:33 am »

Theres a few mods that add embrasures/crenelations...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: December 02, 2016, 08:21:18 am »

"Rain started a social fight with Dafo. Reason: Killed my father"

She forgot to mention that he killed her mother too. They were both part of the last pirate raid.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: December 02, 2016, 09:38:54 am »

She forgot to mention that he killed her mother too. They were both part of the last pirate raid.
I get the logic that family is family no matter what but when your 24 colonists unload into a group of raiders it seems weird to blame a specific person.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: December 02, 2016, 06:50:26 pm »

my name is Raino Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: December 03, 2016, 05:21:44 pm »

Back on the topic of hauling animals, I think my current setup is better than the pigs. I now use wolves for hauling everything except meat, meals and booze. They eat kibble. I use megatheriums (thanks to a kind exotic goods trader, taming them is just neigh impossible) for hauling everything except vegetables / plants, meals and booze. They sustain themselves on hay. It does require two designated animal zones to forbid certain stockpiles and farms. The invert button is a good button.

The pure carnivores are really nescessary if you want animals that haul your crops instead of eat them (and eat your healroots and smokeweed as an added bonus). The megatheriums aren't really nescessary, the only thing they haul that carnivores don't is meat. But hey, since I got them anyway, they might as well do something useful except provide wool.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: December 03, 2016, 11:44:53 pm »

Another teaser!

This time featuring what's apparently a set of "transport pods". Which seem to load items and possibly colonists and require power from what appear to be charging stations. I'd guess this is a new part of trading with orbiting ships, but considering the scope of the update who knows?

EDIT: Other notes:
It could be fuel-based instead of power-based? Aren't the power bars usually blue? (I haven't played Rimworld especially recently so I can't actually recall)
These could be to transport people between different sites on the map without the travel time.
In addition to above, it could also be used for cool drop-pod raiding?

EDIT 2:
I'm an idiot. It's fuel. There are jerry cans obviously representing fuel nearby and since that's a new thing and everything else, it almost definitely uses fuel.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:29:31 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: December 04, 2016, 06:55:05 am »

One of my colonists got her ear shot off. Her husband got a negative -15 though in the social screen about her, 'disfigured'.
A few days later he divorced her.

That's ... harsh. He's now flirting with the new recruit. She's all ears.

EDIT: argh. in other news, I ran into another minor hurdle with my hauling animals. Just caught a megatherium eating the plants from my decorative plant pots. Some microing with the zones should fix that. Not sure if I should only forbid the plant pot tiles, or the 8 access tiles around it too.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:26:30 am by martinuzz »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: December 04, 2016, 07:12:22 am »

One of my colonists got her ear shot off. Her husband got a negative -15 though in the social screen about her, 'disfigured'.

ba-dum-tish.

I always thought that sort of social modifier was a little bit too rigid. It's good to have that kind of thing, but it should fade/change after a while.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2036 on: December 04, 2016, 08:49:52 am »

From my experience, only the tile the food-like is on needs to be forbid to prevent interactions.
E.g. My dining room often has animals wandering it, but as long as the refrigerator rack isn't in their zone, they don't steal the meals sitting in it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: December 05, 2016, 12:51:19 am »

From my experience, only the tile the food-like is on needs to be forbid to prevent interactions.
E.g. My dining room often has animals wandering it, but as long as the refrigerator rack isn't in their zone, they don't steal the meals sitting in it.
True this :3
ZONING animals is of course the best part--you've to click all the animals there though, and can be expanded or set in the zone menu. Even food side by side is always taken into account, if it's not in the highlighted zone and the animal is assigned to that zone, it won't be approached. Ever.

It's like DF; you've to zone out pathways--they won't get in a room if the door is not included, for example, especially if it's a room next to the outdoors :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: December 05, 2016, 12:55:12 am »

xD I just about spat coffee all over the screen, nice.
Haven't played for a while but those sort of interactions were always good for a laugh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: December 05, 2016, 12:59:27 am »

xD I just about spat coffee all over the screen, nice.
Haven't played for a while but those sort of interactions were always good for a laugh.
> {x} had a deep talk with {y}. Nice relationship bonus.
> {x} breaks up with {y} a few seconds later.

Yeah, I like how the numbers add up and detract from each other that way, that we can see their raw values even as placeholders :P

Although I would love in the future that 'Gay' wouldn't be taking up a slot by itself (ie One of the workshop mods moves all sexuality-traits to its own fourth slot), because it's silly that way. XD

Wonder if some of the workshop mods are going to be incorporated--at least in the additional methods (like the advanced surgery mod, etc, to be able to replace different stuff of a colonist that isn't in the vanilla) when the big update rolls around.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 280