Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854580 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1320 on: July 18, 2016, 02:44:13 pm »

Just had a particularly bad raid.  My star melee was just one shot with a headshot through a power armor helmet while trying to rescue my downed backup doctor.  My head doctor survived the raid but was wounded during the fighting.  I didn't check her wounds but she still seemed capable.

I got everyone else patched up and saw that the backup doctor lost a lung during the battle.  I had the main doctor operate on him as I had a spare lung ....uh....donated from a prisoner from a while back.  I have her put the new lung in him and.

Catastrophic failure.  The other lung was destroyed.  Backup doctor is now very very dead.

How?  She has like 15 medical skill, in a dedicated hospital room with sterile flooring.  How did she fail?  Then while looking around I notice.  She is missing her left arm entirely and her right thumb.

Yea I imagine that would make surgery a tad difficult.   This kinda feels like the stories you'd get in the earlier days of the DF health system where a dabbling surgeon is operating on a wounded dwarf and the wounded dwarf's skull (separate from the rest of the head mind you) is seen flying across the room.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:53:21 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: July 18, 2016, 03:20:23 pm »

Catastrophic failure.  The other lung was destroyed.  Backup doctor is now very very dead.

How?  She has like 15 medical skill, in a dedicated hospital room with sterile flooring.  How did she fail?  Then while looking around I notice.  She is missing her left arm entirely and her right thumb.

"MY DISABILITY DOESN'T MAKE ME A LESSER PERSON IT JUST MAKES ME "DIFFERENT"! I CAN DO THIS!

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: July 18, 2016, 03:57:24 pm »

"MY DISABILITY DOESN'T MAKE ME A LESSER PERSON IT JUST MAKES ME "DIFFERENT"! I CAN DO THIS!

"I CAN SAVE THIS MAN, EVEN WITH MY DISABILITY! oops...he's dead...I CAN STILL DIG A GRAVE!"
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: July 18, 2016, 10:38:40 pm »

So the pirate leader survived and I recruited him (this has had no noticeable effect on pirate raids) and now his father showed up on the run from one of the groups I've had disagreements with. He's 93 but biologically he's only a month older than his twenty year old son. The father was apparently from a medieval society so that's just another level of drama.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: July 18, 2016, 10:55:11 pm »

I love the stories in this game. Trying to explain all the random stuff that goes down is...satisfying.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: July 19, 2016, 12:29:23 am »

Anatomy systems clearly need genitals, so we can have improvising doctors detach dicks while trying to stitch closed minor wounds. Flying dicks, that's my personal dream. *stares dreamily into horizon*

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: July 19, 2016, 05:05:26 am »

He coulda conceived his kid then gone into cryptosleep.

Though, it is still odd to find offspring older than their parents.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: July 19, 2016, 08:03:52 am »

He coulda conceived his kid then gone into cryptosleep.

Though, it is still odd to find offspring older than their parents.
I assume it went something like 20 years of life 50 years of cryosleep about a year to have a son then 20 years of cryosleep. Of course that means the son's childhood history "his father was often away" a little bit of an understatement. Also the son's 22 chronologically but 23 biologically. Not sure how that happened.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1328 on: July 19, 2016, 08:07:40 am »

could have been lots of little sleeps too, where he wakes up every 2 years to check in on the kid. :P

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: July 19, 2016, 10:57:48 am »

I sent a sniper to take care of a raider with a greatbow. She blew off both his arms then walked up to the raider, they "had a nice chat" just before she bopped her on the head and took him back to the cells.

Edit: I harvested one lung and one kidney from the bowwoman and stuffed her in a cell with two raiders who died to mortars. After she finished eating both of them the colony was in a sour mood so instead of finishing the harvest I let her go... right after I removed her legs to discourage her from causing more trouble later. As she was leaving I let one of my rookies take a few pot shots at her with a survival rifle while she desperately hunted for some loose berries. As I was doing this a group of traders from a friendly faction showed up, their leader was her sister. Awkward...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 01:23:33 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 19, 2016, 01:45:03 pm »

I like to imagine 'nice chat' as being relative.  Probably went up to the bowman and was like "You're goddam tribal filth." and the bowman was like "And you colonist scum, you're alright."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: July 19, 2016, 03:11:47 pm »

As for how even 15 medicine can fail... Without cybernetic enhancement you still need genuine medicine.

Though save glitterworld medication for when a lesser skilled person is doing it. Since well... lets put it this way.

"I" could do open heart surgery with glitterworld medicine an have a very good chance of doing it successfully.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: July 19, 2016, 03:32:28 pm »

Cybernetic enhancement can lead to some fun stuff. Actually had a doctor with a 0% failure rate because of it. Also, cyborgs with blades for arms that can do everything a normal person can, except better.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 19, 2016, 04:42:05 pm »

Cybernetic enhancement can lead to some fun stuff. Actually had a doctor with a 0% failure rate because of it. Also, cyborgs with blades for arms that can do everything a normal person can, except better.

Yep, enough cybernetic enhancement (and genuine skill) can make a doctor perfect even without medication.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 20, 2016, 05:47:05 am »

So, I do have glittertech, prostetics and enhanced gardens installed but um has anyone else noticed (unless it's one of those mods doing it) that it's a lot easier to recruit insane numbers of people?
Spoiler: Warning, large image (click to show/hide)
Cause um, I don't remember it being even slightly possible to get this many before.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 280