Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854571 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1305 on: July 18, 2016, 11:38:15 am »

What is that, italian?

Okay so it's a business term apparently and it means bad in Italian. I was wondering if he'd seen it used somewhere in Rimworld.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: July 18, 2016, 11:54:01 am »

Is there anyway to reliably knock someone out? I have some liver I'm trying to keep fresh.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: July 18, 2016, 12:14:20 pm »

Is there anyway to reliably knock someone out? I have some liver I'm trying to keep fresh.
Punch them and hope they survive.

I thought the term malus is pretty well known as the opposite of bonus.

I've noticed that animals that die outside of the home area end up forbidden, but in the interest of not wasting/losing animals(I'm worried they'll run out) to predators, I'm looking for a way to easily get those corpses. I know i could make the home area cover the whole map, but then the colonists would try to clean the whole place. Failing that, is there a way to easily locate corpses or notice when an animal has been killed? I play on large maps and scrolling everywhere to see if anything has died recently takes a while.
I don't know of an easy way to do this. Some mods might be able to help but I don't know if any cover that particular aspect.
Don't worry about this too much, hungry animals will kill each other all the time and eat the corpses... or partially if its big enough.  Its not a waste, keep your focus on farming and hunting rather then worrying about scavenging.

Predators only attack when they are hungry AND the only prey nearby is a human.  Otherwise, they'll get into a deathmatch with another critter or chew on a corpse.  (EDIT: Though, it might be nearest period, predator attacks are very rare for me, despite sending people out all the time.)

Fun Fact: Tamed animals, carnivore/omnivore, will eat corpses too, including human.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:21:25 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: July 18, 2016, 12:17:55 pm »

More importantly about the animals thing, new animals will migrate in as the population is thinned out. If toxic fallout wipes the map, for example, it'll only take a few days after it's over for populations to be back up to decent levels.
Nothing important here, move along.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: July 18, 2016, 12:34:56 pm »

I've decided to air condition my storehouse, the exhaust ports feed into my cells. One of my prisoners started raging so I cranked the AC down to 10 C and her cell reached 100C until she calmed down.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: July 18, 2016, 12:45:30 pm »

By calmed down...do you mean died? 100C is boiling temperature haha

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: July 18, 2016, 12:49:10 pm »

Also what is a malus? Google tells me it is a type of shrub, or a return of compensation upon deficient performance in a contract.
What is that, italian?

Okay so it's a business term apparently and it means bad in Italian. I was wondering if he'd seen it used somewhere in Rimworld.
The opposite of a bonus. Not sure if it's used a lot in english. I was originally french and transited to english as my primary language. As a result I can use words that are identical or have the same meaning in french and english but are more commonly used in one than the other.

I've decided to air condition my storehouse, the exhaust ports feed into my cells. One of my prisoners started raging so I cranked the AC down to 10 C and her cell reached 100C until she calmed down.
Wait, so you can use temperature to make people pass out and stop raging? Seems like a better option than sending a bunch of people into a fistfight with your berserk primary melee soldier to attempt to knock him out.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:51:47 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: July 18, 2016, 12:59:41 pm »

By calmed down...do you mean died? 100C is boiling temperature haha
It's not an unheard of temperature for a sauna, a nice steam has a very calming effect. As does heatstroke. She lived, she will always live until I get two more fresh prisoners and harvest her heart to free up the bed.
Wait, so you can use temperature to make people pass out and stop raging? Seems like a better option than sending a bunch of people into a fistfight with your berserk primary melee soldier to attempt to knock him out.
Doing a little bit of testing but it seems like a valid approach so far.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 01:11:00 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: July 18, 2016, 01:16:45 pm »

I find the best way to knock someone out is with bare fists (or guns used in melee) as far as I can tell there is a threshold of pain or hp or something to that effect where somebody will be disabled instead of killed. Less damaging attacks such as punches seem to have a better chance of getting them to that threshold without reducing some vital bit to 0 hp simultaneously.  Though yea, a heat trap would likely work too.

As for animals animal husbandry for food last I checked is ineffective, and even detrimental in some cases.  If there's a lot of grass nearby or you have the extra manpower to farm up mountains of hay you can get a bit of food income from chickens and cows, eggs and milk respectively, but farming animals for meat is a different story.  You would need a large grass filled area pretty much to even try it, and so many animals to be impractical, if not impossible. 

Also depending on what animal you are using, I think many traditionally livestock animals can be dangerous enough to increase your colony's threat level to the AI, I added a few alpaca to my base for wool and raiding parties had a noticeable increase in threat level immediately after.   And that was just 2 alpaca.  I'd hate to imagine a dozen head of cattle or pigs.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 01:18:48 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: July 18, 2016, 01:25:03 pm »

Raising animals for meat is inherently ineffective....this is why (less so now but still in poorer places) meat is considered a "rich people food". The only thing that makes it efficient in the modern world is that we use money and starving people is not a factor in the equation (starving people is a greed and logistical distribution issue...not a production issue).

So yes egg and milk production in a survival environment is far more efficient than meat. Plant based foods are still, and always will be, the most efficient food source.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: July 18, 2016, 01:29:45 pm »

I believe you need meat to make the better foods, but that could be supplemented by hunting. 
Unless you are feeding a whole ton of people with fancy food and nothing else.  Then you need a huge/dedicated farming industry.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1316 on: July 18, 2016, 01:40:27 pm »

Raising animals for meat is inherently ineffective....this is why (less so now but still in poorer places) meat is considered a "rich people food". The only thing that makes it efficient in the modern world is that we use money and starving people is not a factor in the equation (starving people is a greed and logistical distribution issue...not a production issue).

So yes egg and milk production in a survival environment is far more efficient than meat. Plant based foods are still, and always will be, the most efficient food source.
That's all very interesting but real world economics has little to do with this game. You can grow haygrass, which grows quickly and stores in bulk, to feed animals. It takes very little effort to do, and the payoff is better quality food which gives a better mood bonus.

Syndicake

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: July 18, 2016, 01:44:21 pm »

Draft a worker, assign them to arrest the person. Once they are a prisoner, go to the health tab and schedule them a new wooden peg leg replacement. Then after it's done schedule it's removal. They will remain catatonic in the bed for as long as you require. A higher tech alternative that does not use up your precious food supply is to use the cryptosleep caskets.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: July 18, 2016, 01:45:41 pm »

At least in earlier versions chicken eggs were a meat substitute for fine, lavish, and kibble meals. 1 egg counting as 5 meat.  Not sure about it now since my guys don't seem to be using a stack of turkey eggs, but turkey eggs are ofc fertilized, while chicken eggs might not be, so it might just be that the eggs are fertile that's keeping my cook from using them.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: July 18, 2016, 01:53:18 pm »

Draft a worker, assign them to arrest the person. Once they are a prisoner, go to the health tab and schedule them a new wooden peg leg replacement. Then after it's done schedule it's removal. They will remain catatonic in the bed for as long as you require. A higher tech alternative that does not use up your precious food supply is to use the cryptosleep caskets.
I was actually talking about someone who was already a prisoner (with the addendum that I got bored with amputation) and I found my solution, get the room to 140 send someone to repair the door from the outside and after they pass out turn off the heat and have someone stand in the door to help the air circulate.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 280