Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Let's Teach GUNIN to Play Dwarf Fortress!  (Read 5640 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Let's Teach GUNIN to Play Dwarf Fortress!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 09:47:37 pm »

New home.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 10:45:34 pm »

How do I know if I have flux?

Under the list that tells you about soil and metals it will say Flux. 

Use the search function = f

It will give you a list of choices on a spot you are looking for.  That way you can tell it to search for flux, stay away from Evil and so on.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:48:21 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 10:52:54 pm »

Mmkay. Now I'm understanding a bit more about terrain and the actual world and such.

Who are you. What do you want to do?
Traditional dorf. Mountain halls lined with gold.

Shallow metals.
Deep metals.
Little soil.

> Perfect :D

You can trade for FLUX. Those areas are rare anyway. *handwaves*

NOW. I'd like you to position-if the warning of an aquifer pops up-your 4x4 embark square at the junction of the 6/7/0/4 combination-the z-level difference destroys the danger of aquifers (as aquifers are ONLY IN SOIL LAYERS).

The fact that you've got soil means two good things, which will be expounded on later:
> Subsurface farming--1 soil layer dividing the surface from the deep farms.
> Easy areas for kitchens or farms.

Now, notice that you can't place your embark on the Omega-ish symbols? That's the zone of influence of your civilization (that Dwarven civ). YOU CAN'T PLACE YOUR EMBARK THERE D:<

Notice that Trees: Woodland? That's the middle ground of tree-number. That's quite a good number.
Next, look at the type of waterform nearby.
> Brook.
> River.

Brooks are like minirivers, which can be walked upon but give free moving water--free drinking and fishing water! Rivers are just like that, but wider, and can't be walked upon because of their 'openness' to the world.

. . .Let's just position your embark square on the mountainous region bordering the archlike-green symbols, and the house-like grey symbols. Or the 0/1/2/4 area on your map, to the westmost part of the first picture.

That's suitable enough for a newbie.

NOTE: If you press tab enough, you'd be able to view the different civilizations that have access to your Fortress. It'll only show a short list. If my predictions are correct, it'll be just like:
Dwarf
Elf
Human
Goblin ----------------------

Wherein the red-ish --------- = hostile. If you notice a tag like War, then that civilization is currently at war with your civilization. Do note that your embark profile is wholly based on your civilization of standing, meaning the Dwarven civilization of origin.

. . .You seem ready to go. Hit embark on your desired area and check that place out. It is important that you start with an aboveground watersource, as a newbie, so you don't have to worry about deep-level dangers or need the presence of underground lakes to sustain your liquid-needs.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 11:00:31 pm »

Okay. So is the positioning in the picture above fine, or should it be closer or further from the mountain? The brook? Also, how do I read those x/x/x/x things you mentioned twice before?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 11:10:36 pm »

You can embark actually anywhere within the blue ====. just that the coordinates I mentioned are what you should put in the embark square :P

Makes little difference (except for easy water), unless you see changes in the area status.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 11:22:40 pm »

Which?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 11:29:19 pm »

If you want a pre-made embark where we can't help but look at what it gave, then hit Play NOw.

If you want a complex and complicated definition covering most of what you're seeing, as well as how to mark and match the initial seven dwarves to the professions you're going to live with in their continuous years as well as what they're bringing, hit Prepare Carefully.

Know that you're playing on vanilla mode, as in 'not advanced world generation' wherein if you hit Prepare Carefully, you're going to be playing with a point-based system on allocating what you're bringing, as well as what skills will be brought on each Dwarf.

I'd like to think of it as the Seven Dwarven Lords by Tolkein, because this is muchly like a reference to them.

. . .Or you can spoil yourself by hitting the wiki. I see a lot of designated testing with what you're going to do later.

Hence the question.

Who are you. What do you want to do. What kind of priorities will you aim for first?

As we're here to suggest and explain, hit prepare carefully.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 11:37:04 pm »

GOOD GOD THERE'S SO MUCH STUFF.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 11:45:17 pm »

there is even more, thats just your dwarves and their skills.  hit tab to see the items your bringing along.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 11:46:58 pm »

Yep. We'll explain what they all do.

Hit tab, then take pics of what ALL the list has.

Oh, and if you'd like a veteran's tip, take pics of every Dwarf's personal status. Which is done by 'v' when a dwarf is highlighted

^ ^

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 12:04:53 am »

Some of the Dorf descriptions are cut off, but I really didn't feel like taking two pictures of each one. This is already a very image-heavy post.
Spoiler: Dorfs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 03:22:22 am »

In item screen highlight the wheelbarrow and press - it should vanish from the list. Do the same with buckets splints and crutches to free some embark points. You won't need them at the start of your fort(hopefully) and are very easy to make yourself.

Buy cats 1 male 1 female, dogs 3 female 1 male and spend rest of your embark points on some extra food and skills for your dwarves.

Edit: cloth, thread, ropes and quivers can also be safely removed from your itemlist.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:26:00 am by chevil »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 04:50:42 am »

I'd keep the cloth and the thread, just in case they're needed for hospital use. Splints and crutches can be made as necessary, because they're as simple to make as a bed or door. Cloth and thread have a longer production chain.

Don't bring a female cat!
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 05:57:16 am »

PTW.  This has humor value of epic porportions since the OP has a excellent sense of the wry.   :)  Also, with my eventual intention to create tutorial videos, this will help me understand where there's significant problems.

Gunin, you're in for an adventure.  Just so you understand a simple idea that will help you when you're banging your head on the wall/desk/keyboard, this game's controls are built around power-users.  Picture walking into Microsoft Word and having no menus and needing to know the keyboard combinations before you even started.  That's DF's UI right now.  Overwhelmed is the beginning of all of our adventures.  ;)

Don't worry so much about flux.  Just about every embark has one of them (marble) in a few layers and the search screen is a bit goofy, and once your metal industry is setup you can get steel by the wagonload if necessary from the traders. 

Out of curiousity, were you recommended to pick up the latest LNP (Lazy Noob Pack) as it has a bunch of bug fixes and things to assist where the game falls a bit short?  I ask because the game is still in alpha state and the awesome community here has helped out with a number of tools, including DFHack and Dwarf Therapist.  I personally consider both of them practically necessary at this stage of development, and would recommend you get that (even if you don't want tilepacks, which are graphic upgrades) before you go much further than you are and end up invested.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 10:08:55 am »

-snip-
Thanks for trying to help but I'll wait for Tiruin to give me an in-depth briefing.

PTW.  This has humor value of epic porportions since the OP has a excellent sense of the wry.   :)  Also, with my eventual intention to create tutorial videos, this will help me understand where there's significant problems.

Gunin, you're in for an adventure.  Just so you understand a simple idea that will help you when you're banging your head on the wall/desk/keyboard, this game's controls are built around power-users.  Picture walking into Microsoft Word and having no menus and needing to know the keyboard combinations before you even started.  That's DF's UI right now.  Overwhelmed is the beginning of all of our adventures.  ;)

Don't worry so much about flux.  Just about every embark has one of them (marble) in a few layers and the search screen is a bit goofy, and once your metal industry is setup you can get steel by the wagonload if necessary from the traders. 

Out of curiousity, were you recommended to pick up the latest LNP (Lazy Noob Pack) as it has a bunch of bug fixes and things to assist where the game falls a bit short?  I ask because the game is still in alpha state and the awesome community here has helped out with a number of tools, including DFHack and Dwarf Therapist.  I personally consider both of them practically necessary at this stage of development, and would recommend you get that (even if you don't want tilepacks, which are graphic upgrades) before you go much further than you are and end up invested.
Thanks.

Sounds good.

Gotcha.

Heeeeeeeck noooooo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5