Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Let's Teach GUNIN to Play Dwarf Fortress!  (Read 5636 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Let's Teach GUNIN to Play Dwarf Fortress!
« on: September 15, 2013, 06:43:21 pm »

Tiruin was dumb enough to say she would handhold me through a game of non-adventure DF. What a chump.

But seriously I've never played DF so she's gonna walk me through it and teach me how stuff works and basically be my principal guide, along with all you other weirdos to help me figure stuff out. I'll do screenshots whenever possible to help illustrate the situation and whatnot.

So yeah starting screen. Create new world? Create new world.

Looks pretty simple. Reminds me of Civilisation. I'll let you guys decide the settings since they probably have more repercussions than my noob mind is currently aware of.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:10:47 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Teach GUNIN to Play Dwarf Fortress!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 07:19:06 pm »

It gets fun much more quickly if you use advanced settings.
I generally do it with double/triple the amount of evil, 20x as many megabeasts and titans, 50-100x as many semimegabeasts.
Even with those settings it still took ages for me to get my first semimegabeast.
You might want to increase the number of volcanoes as well, since they are useful to have in your embark area.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 07:25:30 pm »

It gets fun much more quickly if you use advanced settings.
I generally do it with double/triple the amount of evil, 20x as many megabeasts and titans, 50-100x as many semimegabeasts.
Even with those settings it still took ages for me to get my first semimegabeast.
You might want to increase the number of volcanoes as well, since they are useful to have in your embark area.
I have no idea what most of that is supposed to mean, what (semi)megabeasts are, or why volcanoes are good. Do I want lava?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 07:58:59 pm »

PTW/S - Posting to Watch/Suggest

Tiruin was dumb enough to say she would handhold me through a game of non-adventure DF. What a chump.
Fixed.

Alright newbie, listen up.

Most people venture into the world of DF thinking they'll learn the ropes on hand. This is technically impossible without viewing what the mechanics generally do, and what to actually do both in Fortress mode and Adventure mode (the latter is easier on those roguelike-savvy players. . .which is just me saying 'I found Adventure Mode easy!' on my first play). Fortress Mode is a hectic pile of options and menus and orders for a newbie, and which in first glance will be overwhelmed by the amount of things to do and what to do with it.

In reality, is quite simple. But we'll get to that after we've created that planet of yours.

The world size generally affects what kinds of terrain may form on the map. Usually, this affects Adventure mode more as it generally means 'longer distance between significant locations' to travel. As a whole, anything beyond Smaller (Small+) takes up a lot of space-which means having to record a lot more entities than usual.

Which, depending on your PC, would affect the FPS of the game to say bluntly. Recommending a Smaller world, for starters.

The History dictates, to say bluntly, whether megabeasts are still found in-world, and how developed civilizations are. The younger, the more 'savage' the world and the lesser towns or cities (civilization areas where you can buy/sell items in Adventure mode) appear. Vice versa for an older world. Recommending a Short History, for those who want to get to know the game, yet also want bits and pieces of towns and cities. This usually affects the Eras seen in-world (Age of Myth, Golden Age. . .Check the wiki for more if you don't mind spoilers :P)

The Number of Civilizations are exactly what it says on the tin. In a vanilla game, this pertains to the four great races (excluding kobolds): Elf, Dwarf, Human and Goblin. The 'Number' specifically pertains to the varying number of factions in a civilization that exist, meaning how many entity-civilizations exist within one civilization. The higher it is, the more 'spread out' the civilizations are.
Dwarven civs inhabit mountainous regions.
Elven civs inhabit Forested terrain
Human civs inhabit quite a lot of places which aren't mountains or forests, and generally stay near rivers or brooks.
Goblins. . .I'm unsure on this point, but they seem to stay near evil areas, of non-mountainous or forested region. And even then, neutral areas. Never in good areas unlike the other 3. Suggestion varies, but I usually play with the advanced settings. :P - Hit Normal.

Maximum number of Sites = the maximum number of significant areas in-game, like caves, towers, lairs or many other things which don't pertain to civilization settlements. Suggesting a High setting.

Number of Beasts mean the number of semimegabeasts/Megabeasts that exist in-world. These are the great myths and legends which haunt people's dreams, and which may on occasion, visit a developed fortress of (x) population! They are significant for reasons related to skill, prowess, lethality and in general, being scary scary beasts which can kill you off like easy - speed, strength, accuracy - they generally have higher attributes than any mundane creature or civilization peasant. Or made of unconventional materials (like an Owl of Fire.). Suggests Normal.

Natural Savagery makes the world more or less, 'hospitable' to any settler. I always set this to Very Low because I'm quite picky about sites to create my Fortress in, and really don't like contending with terrain when Dwarves actually create their own terrain. In general, this also pertains to how fast a civilization can grow in their natural area over time (see above). My suggestion is Very Low.

Mineral Occurrence. This dictates how common minerals (ie gemstones or many other deposits of such kind including flux--the lifestone of steel and many 'metals' [copper/iron. . .]) appear in the layers under the earth. Currently, this has no value in Adventure mode!
But in Fortress mode, it means life and limb for Dwarves.
Suggested: Everywhere.

I'm up for editing this later on if information doesn't match.

For Advanced settings, take more screenshots :P
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:01:52 pm by Tiruin »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 08:14:13 pm »

World generation complete! Looks cool as far as I can tell.

Top Half

Bottom Half

---

Okay, so what sort of place should I be looking for for my dorfs to settle? Let's assume that I have no idea what these symbols mean, as well as what consequences those other factors on the side may have. I can only assume vegetation will matter when it comes to available resources in a starting area like wood, fruit and whatnot, and that temperature will give me an idea of what the weather is like. The benefits of quality soil and an abundance of minerals and metals is clear though.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 08:36:13 pm »

Most of that is correct.  I would suggest staying away from treeless or very cold regions.  Remember you will need running FRESH water to drink and make booze from.  And in cold regions, during winter, your water will disappear into the form of ice.  And seashore property may seem cool but salt water it bad for you (though an island does have advantages).

As a Dwarf a plot of land with a mountain, some trees, medium to high rainfall, and so on sounds good.  But it is up to you.  Do you plan to be a traditional Dwarf and dig in?  Build a wooden frontier fort?  What will you export?  What will you do with your life?  :D

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 08:39:21 pm »

Posting busy:

Stick to a Warm climate. It prevents frost from EVER hitting your Fortress. + Trees so you won't have to order wood. Preferably forested.
Stay away from Aquifers UNLESS you're in a zone where z-levels shift variably (press tab to see the numbers 0-9-* to check elevation level.)

Will expound later :P

But I suggest following callisto's example.

Who are you. What do you want to do?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 08:40:04 pm »

Press 'm' a couple of times until you're over the ========. That's a river (or in this case, a brook), which means running water. It'll probably be thawed all year round, too. There are also plenty of trees to be had -- the upward pointing arrows are tree symbols, and are used for areas with a lot of... well, trees.

Once you're there, tap the F1, F2, etc. keys to see what you have on-site. You'll have at least deep metals and shallow metals, which is a good start, but see what the rest of your site will have to offer you.

DF maps are split into biomes, which are small or large areas that each have their own vegetation, minerals, soils, and other attributes. The more biomes you have, the more chances you have of getting something good -- something like sand or clay only needs to be on a tiny bit of the map to provide as much as you'll ever need.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 08:48:49 pm »

Mmkay. Now I'm understanding a bit more about terrain and the actual world and such.

Who are you. What do you want to do?
Traditional dorf. Mountain halls lined with gold.

There's my exact positioning.

Should I embark now? Or do you have more to tell me?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 08:59:57 pm »

One - that thing on the left of your embarking map looks like a very large city.  Hope you are not at war with anybody.

Two - I don't see flux on the map.  Flux is needed for higher tier metals.  Like marble, used to make alloys and such.  You COULD import it maybe...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 09:01:11 pm »

One - that thing on the left of your embarking map looks like a very large city.  Hope you are not at war with anybody.

Two - I don't see flux on the map.  Flux is needed for higher tier metals.  Like marble, used to make alloys and such.  You COULD import it maybe...
Oh. I thought it was a mountain. I'll find a different place so gimme a minute. Also, why would I be at war with anyone?

What's flux?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 09:11:13 pm »

New home. It says I'm near an Aquifer, so I screenshot the elevation table since I have no idea if I'm in "a zone where z-levels shift variably." Are those cliffs bad?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 09:20:16 pm »

PTW as this may actually inspire me to play DF again.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 09:40:16 pm »

Dwarfs can dig into cliffs, so that is not a problem.  The aquifer is kind of bad unless you know what you are doing.   It is a level in which the rock or sand is permeable (I believe the word is) and water flows through it. 

Flux is material needed to join metals.  If you don't have flux in your region you would have to import steel.   

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 09:43:13 pm »

Dwarfs can dig into cliffs, so that is not a problem.  The aquifer is kind of bad unless you know what you are doing.   It is a level in which the rock or sand is permeable (I believe the word is) and water flows through it. 

Flux is material needed to join metals.  If you don't have flux in your region you would have to import steel.
Well I don't know what I'm doing sooo.. Yeah I'll go somewhere else.

How do I know if I have flux?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5