Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Codelink: the multiplayer Uplink hacker browser game  (Read 17477 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Codelink: the multiplayer Uplink hacker browser game
« on: September 14, 2013, 10:13:34 pm »

Codelink on Kongregate

Inspired by Uplink, Codelink(V2) is multiplayer hacking simulator. Upgrade hardware and software, hack into systems, banks, delete corporate files, perform missions for pay, discover secrets and generally run amuck.

I've spoken with the game designer, and apparently "hacker organiztions" (guilds/clans/etc.) are in the works, so soon we will be able to have our own Bay12 hacker corp.

Tutorial videos
(Note that there's about an hour of video here, and the pacing in them is very slow. If you're never played Uplink or Slavehack, you might consider watching the videos. If not, you can probably skip them. Though Note that while codelink is very much an Uplink clone, it is different from both Uplink and Slavehack in a few subtle ways that might not be immediately obvious. Cracking mini-games, for example. Servers going offline. Multiple file servers attached to a site, with both public and restricted resources. If you've never played a hack-simulator game, you might not know what to look for, but if you have, don't be surprised when things are different.)

Download version
The full download version of the game has some features that the flash version lacks, like full screen mode and customizable skins.

Getting started tips:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:29:27 pm by LordBucket »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Codelink: the multiplayer Uplink hacker browser game
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 10:17:12 pm »

PTW.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 11:06:35 pm »

Now this is a multiplayer hacking game I can get behind. I'll check it out sometime this evening at the earliest.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 11:07:41 pm »

One question: are the admins better than the Slavehack ones?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 01:09:24 am »

One question: are the admins better than the Slavehack ones?

Yes. Momoguru is the designer. I've chatted with him a couple times and he seems like a reasonable human being. He's been answering questions, and I saw him offer to reimburse a player for a loss due to a bug. Apparently there is some sort of drama going on with the server admin who's physically hosting the game, but the dev himself seems plenty reasonable.

And no...I asked him, and he's not involved with Slavehack at all.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:11:34 am by LordBucket »

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 01:10:53 am »

Is it better than slavehack ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 01:17:49 am »

I tried it and within ten minutes I was lost and had no idea what to do. I'm somehow on SATNET and unsure of how to get back to the start. I think I'll try again some other time when I'm less tired.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 01:24:14 am »

Is it better than slavehack ?

I would say yes, better than Slavehack. the systems in general are more complicated, and you have to pay attention more. It's far more comparable to Uplink. Though without the backstory. Also, I'm not far enough along to have done any pvp. Apparently that's not as simple as simply catching logs and going directly to an address.

If you're looking for  weak point in the game, I'd say it's that the pace is slower than Uplink, and it's harder to make a mistake. Uplink had a fast, almost-action pace to it, and I remember feeling genuine tension when I played it. Codelink is balanced to be a more long-term game that you play over months, and rather than getting game-overs, you simply avoid/pickup/overcome a criminal record which can be eliminated over time, via expenditures. Consequently, there's a bit more easy-mission grinding early on, and the "pace" of traces is much slower, in order to leave room for a buildup to a more late-game difficulty. In Uplink you always had to kind of estimate how much time you had left, and you never really knew for sure if you were safe. Here, you have a digital counter of seconds remaining until a trace is completed, and from what I've seen, even with only a single proxy 100+ seconds is typical. It's harder to get caught if you're careful, and if you are it's not an instant game over. Rather than holding my mouse over the disconnect button waiting to press it at the last possible instant like in Uplink, here I'm chatting with people while waiting for my various password crackers to finish.

So, the game is "friendlier" than Uplink, which makes it less intense. Which personally I'd say is a weak point. It's also a bit grindier. But either way, vastly better than Slavehack, and hopefully it's just the early game that's "easy" and as you levelup, get more difficult missions, get into pvp etc. hopefully it will become more interesting.

Related...haven't seen it in-game myself, but overheard the developer answering questions posed by someone else about how to best go about team hacking efforts on a single target, and apparently there are both support and attack type player interactions.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 02:37:55 am by LordBucket »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 01:28:59 am »

I tried it and within ten minutes I was lost and had no idea what to do. I'm somehow on SATNET
and unsure of how to get back to the start. I think I'll try again some other time when I'm less tired.

...yeah, i was considering making a tutorial. The official tutorials are very long and for people who've never played this genre before at all. Something a bit more direct would probably be helpful.

I'm somehow on SATNET
and unsure of how to get back to the start

The "starter zone" with shops and the free proxy is in Canada. Click the gps button in the lower left of your screen. If you're looking at Global View, it will be the hub in the extreme upper left of the map. If you'r looking at Database View, it will be hub.codelink, which is listed as Codelink SatNet Hub under gateway. Connect to that.

If you're on a specific regional hub, then click gps, connect to hub.codelink, click on "Global SatNet Hub" to get to worldview, then do the above.

Also, if anyone wants to missions, click "Agent" in the lower left then click "mission server." Note that the mission server appears to give you missions relative to your current hub, so you might want to make sure you're in the starter zone before you accept missions.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:37:23 am by LordBucket »

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 01:58:57 am »

I tried it and within ten minutes I was lost and had no idea what to do. I'm somehow on SATNET
and unsure of how to get back to the start. I think I'll try again some other time when I'm less tired.

...yeah, i was considering making a tutorial. The official tutorials are very long and for people who've never played this genre before at all. Something a bit more direct would probably be helpful.

I've made attempts to play Uplink but I had the same problem. This game is too damn complex for me in hindsight and to be fair it's probably because I've got brain problems that make understanding complex things like this obscenely difficult. I think I'm going to not play this after all. I'm sorry for wasting your time.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 02:09:49 am »

In Uplink you always had to kind of estimate how much time you had left, and you never really knew for sure if you were safe. Here, you have a digital counter of seconds remaining until a trace is completed, and from what I've seen, 100+ seconds is typical. It's harder to get caught if you're careful, and if you are it's not an instant game over.
Level 3 trace tracker showed exact seconds as far as I remember.

Will have to check this game out.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 02:44:02 am »

About to play now, bay12 group when it's implemented anyone ?.

Also I really wish this was not on kongregate and you could play on it's own optimised website.

Bucket did you download the client ? Is it clean ?

Finally anyone want to invite the dev here ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 03:34:27 am »

About to play now, bay12 group when it's implemented anyone ?.

Sure. Once it's implemented.

Bucket did you download the client ?

No, I'm playing on kongregate.

Finally anyone want to invite the dev here ?

I mentioned I'd be posting. I'll send him a message with a thread link. He'll either love us or hate us.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 03:35:32 am »

PTW, this looks interesting.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 03:45:47 am »

I had a lot of fun with Uplink, and slavehack was fun to a point but I got tired of waiting X minutes to do Y*. If it's faster than Slavehack, I'll give it a look.

*well, I guess the other thing that bothered me was that when you deleted records of your accessing a server, someone else changing the records might incidentally put yours back on. That sure bugged me.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2 3