Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do you NEED Nobles?  (Read 1469 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you NEED Nobles?
« on: September 14, 2013, 01:47:17 pm »

I now have a Baroness.  She is demanding, tantrums in public, and is really getting on my nerves.  I can see how some players may see the Nobles as a challenge.  But I have to say I also understand how some players feel the need to toss this jerks into a pit and bury them.  My vampire book keeper and my vampire manger cause me less PROBLEMS!   At least they work for....well...free.   In this version of the game is there ANY advantage to having Nobles besides the goal of working up the chain of command maybe getting the King and becoming the Capital?   :-\
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you NEED Nobles?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 02:06:40 pm »

Not really no. I've made a few custom civs that don't have them at all but since I got into the swing of things I've found them to be a minor but everpresent challenge. A way to keep the difficulty up as it were.

The only useful 'nobles' are:

Militia Commander
Broker
Manager
Chief Medical Dwarf
Book keeper
Expedition Leader/Mayor

You can mod out Barons, Dukes and so forth with no real problems, though I've taken to adding new nobles with varying roles/requirements.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 02:31:13 pm »

once appointed you are stuck with baron level (and higher I assume) but hand picking the one dwarf to recommend as baron went a long way to keeping the mandate nonsense under control.  Fix the mayoral election in favor of a dwarf that likes bolts.  Recommend them as baron, then make them baron/mayor.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 03:09:57 pm »

once appointed you are stuck with baron level (and higher I assume) but hand picking the one dwarf to recommend as baron went a long way to keeping the mandate nonsense under control.  Fix the mayoral election in favor of a dwarf that likes bolts.  Recommend them as baron, then make them baron/mayor.

I have a Mayor who likes shields and weapon racks....I see.    That may work!  Just have to kill this one off...BUWAHAHAHA!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 05:05:59 pm »

I have a Mayor who likes shields and weapon racks....I see.    That may work!  Just have to kill this one off...BUWAHAHAHA!

If you kill off your baron, you won't get a new one. It's a one-shot deal, you only get one dwarf ennobled per fort.

EDIT:@below: why, yes, that's a perfectly reasonable approach to getting a new baron. Don't hold back. You know you want to do it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:55:25 pm by Larix »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 05:52:55 pm »

Maybe he meant he just had to kill this one fort off?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 06:41:51 pm »

So if a Baron or Baroness slips and falls off a cliff or dies in combat the chain ends?   But it would be okay if I killed her off after the Count came, right?  :D  Or is that cutting the legs off a table after you've completed it?   Would that screw it up?

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 08:02:57 pm »

Prety sure count is just a promotion from teh barron, his/her title will just update.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 09:18:39 pm »

Well, I'll look at it as a challenge and not kill her.  Bad enough I just got a confusing visit from the humans.  They sent me a female diplomat, a Law-Giver and a VAMPIRE.  Who did nothing but say 'Hi!'

Wait..did they just send a blood sucking lawyer to check out my Fortress?   >:(

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 10:58:24 pm »

Well, I'll look at it as a challenge and not kill her.  Bad enough I just got a confusing visit from the humans.  They sent me a female diplomat, a Law-Giver and a VAMPIRE.  Who did nothing but say 'Hi!'

Wait..did they just send a blood sucking lawyer to check out my Fortress?   >:(
Sounds like a typical lawyer, at least it wasnt a lawmaker :p

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 11:46:36 pm »

Barons* provide access to elven diplomats (to kill, of course).

*together with dfhack

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 12:29:11 pm »

Can't kill the Elves.  Need them to import their wood so I can burn it for fuel.  :D

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 12:36:55 pm »

Can't kill the Elves.  Need them to import their wood so I can burn it for fuel.  :D

You never built your own tree farm?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 12:41:19 pm »

You never built your own tree farm?

Have hundreds of live trees on the surface.  No, the problem is nobody ever has the time.  Too busy building the houses and walls on the surface.