Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Isolation Chamber Food Chute  (Read 2218 times)

Sabruka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Isolation Chamber Food Chute
« on: September 13, 2013, 09:14:36 am »

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum so please tell me if I posted this in the wrong place.

One of my dorfs did something unforgivable (punted a kitten off a cliff), and so I want to lock him up forever. I have a 3x3 room digged out, and a door leading to it which I would set as locked. I want to somehow dump water (or booze) from a floor above for him to not die. Is there a way to channel a hole above and manually dump some food/booze down (or something similar)?

Thanks!
Sab

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Isolation Chamber Food Chute
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 09:18:33 am »

You sir want tu use minecarts and hauling system.
I encourage you to google and wiki those, and come back on the gameplay questions thread or the minecart thread if you have questions.
Also, what's the problem with punting kitten off a cliff?

Actually, i need to do this someday... Drop kittens on kids... or kids on kittens...

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 10:07:30 am »

channel out the square directly above his prison and then create a dump on the square next to it. Mark the things you want him to have as for dumping and then your dwarfs will drop them down the hole.

Once down you can unforbid them.

If this gets tedious, or you have other dumps setup which make this not work then you need to use a minecart and have it hit a trackstop which dumps it's contents in the direction of your hole. You can then setup a route/stop which sets the goods you want put in the minecart and how often it is moved.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 03:39:33 pm »

Just one recomendation if you want to ensure the dwarf lives.  Make the chute at least 2Zlvls and rig up a floor hatch linked to something to prevent an incident where stuff falls down the chute at the same time as the prisoner is retrieving something.  Best way would be a short halway with a preasureplate  at the entrance tied to the hatch cover.   if his food stockpile is at the end of the hallway when he goes to pick up food he'll trip the plate and drop any supplies siting on the hatch into the pile and the hatch should reclose before he reaches it.  Set a pointless lever in the halway as well to force him to walk over the plate on command as well.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 06:46:11 pm »

One of my dorfs did something unforgivable (punted a kitten off a cliff), and so I want to lock him up forever.

Was he your only kitten? To be honest, that sounds quite funny, and there are much worse things than killing a kitten that I would still forgive my hairy midgets for. I certainly wouldn't lock him up forever because of it, but to each his/her own, I suppose.

I suppose a food quantum stockpile could feed the poor thing, booze could be dropped in similarly in barrels, while water put into reservoir to fuel a well only he can access.

I you really want him to be locked up forever, then have you considered the 'Well of Unlife' method? It removes the need for food and water/booze. Admittedly, if you don't house him like a king then he could go insane anyway from lack of good thoughts, but you could at least prolong his suffering, as he wouldn't die of hunger or thirst during melancholy or berserking. While he's still alive and sane he could act as a last survivor, preventing your fort from crumbling until migrants come should everyone else die.

Or does that all seem like too much for someone who only killed a kitten in a hilarious manner?
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 07:44:52 pm »

Lock him up in a 7x7 chamber made of dirt and you can make him make is own plum helmets and booze and have enough room for a single bed.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 12:58:14 am »

Lock him up in a 7x7 chamber made of dirt and you can make him make is own plum helmets and booze and have enough room for a single bed.
you'd want a bit biger than that so you could expand things to have a loom clothier shop and farmers workshop so you could do a planting of pig tails every so often so he could make his own clothing to avoid bad thoughts from exposed junk once clothing droped off, either that or still have a drop chute avalible for clothing.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 02:13:09 pm »

He gets the garbage clothes.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 09:27:16 pm »

Setup a simple minecart loop that links to a food stockpile in the cell.
Code: [Select]
   ===
   ===
<-.-S-.-S
Carts can jump single gaps as long as the tile they are being pushed from and the gap are separated by a single track tile. Alternatively, cheaty ramps work as well. The minecart is filled with food elsewhere, jumped into the cell, unloaded, and pushed back out. That way, you don't have to manually watch to make sure that there's food in the cell and all your food doesn't accidentally end up quantum heaped somewhere. Additionally, a timer can be put on the cart so that it only gets sent once a month/quarter/year instead of all the time.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 10:05:15 pm »

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum so please tell me if I posted this in the wrong place.

One of my dorfs did something unforgivable (punted a kitten off a cliff), and so I want to lock him up forever. I have a 3x3 room digged out, and a door leading to it which I would set as locked. I want to somehow dump water (or booze) from a floor above for him to not die. Is there a way to channel a hole above and manually dump some food/booze down (or something similar)?

Thanks!
Sab

How did that even happen? As far as I know, the only way this is possible is to order the dwarf to attack through the military screen, to ride a minecart into the kitten, or for the dwarf to throw a tantrum. Given the context, it was probably not military action.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Sabruka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 07:53:35 am »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your suggestions! I've tried some out and learned quite a bit from them.

As for the "why punting a kitten was horrible", it was my badass hammerer's kitten, who then got pissed. I barely managed to avoid a tantrum spiral because of that.

A dwarf once killed another out of rage. They are now militia commander. This dwarf punted a kitten. It shall be locked up and forgotten.

-NS

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 03:25:02 pm »

Can dwarfs destroy doors if they tantrum?  I'd remove the door and wall him in just to be sure.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 04:50:39 pm »

One of my dorfs did something unforgivable (punted a kitten off a cliff), and so I want to lock him up forever.

Was he your only kitten? To be honest, that sounds quite funny, and there are much worse things than killing a kitten that I would still forgive my hairy midgets for. I certainly wouldn't lock him up forever because of it, but to each his/her own, I suppose.

I suppose a food quantum stockpile could feed the poor thing, booze could be dropped in similarly in barrels, while water put into reservoir to fuel a well only he can access.

I you really want him to be locked up forever, then have you considered the 'Well of Unlife' method? It removes the need for food and water/booze. Admittedly, if you don't house him like a king then he could go insane anyway from lack of good thoughts, but you could at least prolong his suffering, as he wouldn't die of hunger or thirst during melancholy or berserking. While he's still alive and sane he could act as a last survivor, preventing your fort from crumbling until migrants come should everyone else die.

Or does that all seem like too much for someone who only killed a kitten in a hilarious manner?

Your lack of disipline is astonishing. What kind of ragtag fort are you running? That cat might have eaten a vermin that a depressed dwarf now might get a angry thought over, and this angry thought might be what finally brings him over the edge as he starts a !!tableflip!! near the ¤lever¤.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]