Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Card Hunter is now live!  (Read 6340 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Card Hunter is now live!
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2013, 03:28:04 am »

Ohh it is pretty bad indeed, but Lava will usually kill you dead.

It is actually one of the easier ways to beat bosses in the game. Even the bosses that are generally only hurt by back attacks (I hate those) will die with a turn of lava if you put on some pain.

Though that is why you get a lot of big area acids or acids attacks that deal damage, destroy armor, and lay down acid... and why a lot of the lava you find is just "create a lava tile"
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:30:05 am by Neonivek »

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2013, 04:10:54 am »

The lava tiles I've been making only do 8 damage if you start your turn on them. Granted this is early in the campaign, but I don't see why lava terrain would grow deadlier later in the game, or in multiplayer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2013, 04:12:59 am »

The lava tiles I've been making only do 8 damage if you start your turn on them. Granted this is early in the campaign, but I don't see why lava terrain would grow deadlier later in the game, or in multiplayer.

Hmmm they changed it up. either that or I remembered incorrectly.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2013, 04:14:02 am »

I'm pretty sure you're exaggerating. I mean you got Charge wrong by 5 whole steps. When was the last time you even played the game?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2013, 12:52:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure you're exaggerating. I mean you got Charge wrong by 5 whole steps. When was the last time you even played the game?

I didn't get charge wrong. I was talking about another move entirely.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2013, 01:41:23 pm »

Just to let new players know - you will get a FREE multiplayer starter pack if you get a modest way through the campaign - about level 5 or so?  So if you're gonna spend pizza on MP EQ, buy one of the other packs for the equipment (not for characters, you can buy all the characters you want for 10 gold each to make your perfect multiplayer mix so never waste pizza on characters). 

The only pack I was attracted to was the dwarf pack, there's a couple good items especially a few for dwarf teams, the other packs are kinda meh imo - you can get equipment approximately that good by the time you hit level 10 or 12 of the campaign (+the free MP starter pack as a base) without spending any pizza.   The pro way is to campaign til you get the free MP pack, play the 1st few MP games against the computer and then other noobs for those equipment drops and the 1st 1 or 2 yellow chests.  Then go back to the campaign, re-equip your campaign party with anything better from the MP, and keep chugging through the campaign.  Even the lowish level stuff can come in handy when you need to fill an equipment slot but want equipment that doesn't need a power token.   Play enough MP every day to get at least the 1st one or two yellow chests (guaranteed rare items drop).

I played a couple hundred MP games in the beta without spending any money or pizza on items and I had a reasonably competitive set of eq pretty quickly, and I was slowly accumulating the really rare stuff.  I wasn't even grinding that much - I'd keep redoing 1 or 2 of the level 20 and midlevel campaign dungeons on days when I felt like it (it's easier to squeeze in a campaign level with no timer than committing a whole 40 minute chunk of full attention at once).

Anyway yay, I'm still having fun with it.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2013, 02:31:27 pm »

seems they have a low server cap, i've got 26 minutes to go 'till i can log in

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2013, 03:05:10 pm »

seems they have a low server cap, i've got 26 minutes to go 'till i can log in
Yeah it's about 2500. But when mine said it would take 18 minutes I got in in less than 5. c:

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2013, 09:47:16 pm »

I like it.  The D&D storyline is kind of silly but I love the old-school module looks and it can be occasionally kind of funny watching the awful nerds.

The actual gameplay, I dunno.  Maybe it changes when enemies get more powerful, but it seems like there's a lot of annoying one-sided gameplay when one side runs out of useful cards before the other one.  Right now I have a human warrior without much direction, a dwarf cleric with the same, and an elf mage with lots of lightning spells and the electric skill that boosts lightning.

EDIT:  The warrior's leaning towards penetrating attacks, since armor's so obnoxious, with the penetrating booster skill item.  Any hints on how I should build for multiplayer?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:01:04 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2013, 10:00:34 pm »

The actual gameplay, I dunno.  Maybe it changes when enemies get more powerful, but it seems like there's a lot of annoying one-sided gameplay when one side runs out of useful cards before the other one.  Right now I have a human warrior without much direction, a dwarf cleric with the same, and an elf mage with lots of lightning spells and the electric skill that boosts lightning.
It's gotten noticeably tougher since I reached level 5. Lots of retries but I've never outright failed an adventure. There's some tough enemies out there, like Slub-Gut.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2013, 03:52:45 am »

The warrior "martial skill" traits got nerfed (they used to be +2) and for a mere +1 it's not worth going nuts to maximize every possible possible card to work with them, imho. Or spending power tokens on the slot unless you *really* have nothing better to use them on.  For one thing, you'd be really sorry when you have 90% penetrating stuff and come up against enemies with immunities, like skeletons.   That being said, having a fair number of penetrating cards is pretty handy well through the mid-campaign at least, and for that the Penetrating martial skill card is the best use of the slot.   Later you can make sure your wizard has a good mix of armor stripping cards, those are a little hard to fit in early on.   There are some dungeons where it is a good idea to tweak your gear beforehand - I've been lucky so far this runthrough carrying a mix of stuff and only died a couple times (with a fair few more that were CLOSE calls).   I haven't gotten to those damn monkeys yet though :p

MP - make sure you have some way to deal with being on lava and out of movement/encumbered - a decent number of team move cards, the terrain clearing/changing cards, or heck even armor and healing, whatever.  Some ways to remove bad status effects like encumbrance is nice too.   A lot of guys have from some to a lot of encumbrance adding gear like ice wands that will stop you dead in your tracks, then they pop lava or spikes or acid underneath - I've seen that called a Control Wizard.   For warriors I like a human or dwarf with decent armor and a lot of the combo movement/attack cards - that's called a Step Warrior.  And then the cleric I give mainly stuff to buff the warrior and do a BIT of healing and a BIT of fighting - especially a few "get away from me" bash cards.  The main buff I liked was "Martyr" - draw a card when you take damage, that helps keep the warrior moving forward or drawing more attack cards when he's toe-to-toe.  With a few odd "frenzy" type cards to boost his damage a bit.  If you go with 2 warriors/1 cleric the "mass frenzy" is really niiiiice too.

Warning - I'm only mediocre at this game, so take it all with a grain of salt :D  I did OK with that combo, but I never made it anywhere near the top MP levels, I peaked at about 1050-1100 rating.  I was mostly interested in getting a couple of chests in a reasonable time instead of getting to the top of the rankings so I didn't have a good way of dealing with some threats, just hope to get lucky - but you can't guard against *everything* and there's a big random factor anyway, so you gotta figure out a decent tradeoff...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2013, 04:04:28 am »

..you can't guard against *everything* and there's a big random factor anyway, so you gotta figure out a decent tradeoff...
This is what makes the game work.

---

I like my dorf mage. He's got a whole ton of health so he can just wade into crowds of enemies to better make use of those cone spells.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2013, 06:13:52 am »

Oh one other tip, once you finish the campaign the "normal" way,  it adds a "quest" menu to each dungeon - these often include constraints like "use only elves" or "use 3 warriors" or "use only cards with Drawbacks" in return for nice reward chests.  So if you think you'll ever want to do these, be really really careful selling equipment you think you'll never use because you might want to equip all kinds of different character combos at all kinds of different levels tuned for various dungeons, and most of the common/uncommon/rare only sell for a gold or 2 each.   You can probably make more from one quest than all the equipment you'd sell, and worse is the time and hassle to find/buy all that stuff in the shops.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2013, 02:04:09 pm »

I got the multiplayer pack.  I don't like it a whole lot, but I figure once I've got more items to customize them better it'll be okay.  How do the items work, can I use items I get in multiplayer in single-player, and vice versa?  What's to stop me from just cannibalizing all the sweet gear from my multiplayer pack (minus the power token stuff) and using it in single player?

Also, I guess single and multiplayer characters are kept separate or something?  I wanted to put my human fighter in to replace the dwarf, who I don't like much, but couldn't.  I was thinking elves might be fun, using polearms and free-move skills to hit people.
Shoes...

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2013, 02:32:56 pm »

Nope, all the gear and characters will appear in both the multiplayer and campaign keeps, mix and match.  To buy new characters go to the tavern in the campaign and pay 10 gold apiece.  Any character from the campaign will appear in the multiplayer at the standard multiplayer character level (level 16?  I dunno).   The characters bought with multiplayer packs show up in the campaign as level 1, feel free to level em up in campaign parties.  And the parties are totally separate - you can have the same item equipped on a multiplayer character and a campaign character, so no tedious switching around.  It's a pretty reasonable system.

And yea, that's why I go get the free multiplayer pack ASAP - the gear isn't GREAT but it's decent for that level of the campaign, it definitely fills in a few spots.  By the time you earn gold power tokens in the campaign you'll almost certainly have picked up equivalent or better gear than most of the high level items, still it doesn't hurt and hey it was free...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5