Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Zatathel (Stabrings): Dwarf Fortress 23a Community Fortress  (Read 5853 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zatathel (Stabrings): Dwarf Fortress 23a Community Fortress
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 06:21:01 pm »

Does anyone experienced in this version know if there is a way to temporarily remove alter the dwarves' need to eat in the raws. From examining the tokens, there don't seem to be obvious tokens related to eating. Normally, I wouldn't resort to such an action, but the fortress will quickly fail without a food-deadline extension.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 02:15:43 am »

No cheating, only hardcore!
We'll live on rats and water (do we have a well, right?)
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 02:17:03 am »

No cheating, only hardcore!
We'll live on rats and water (do we have a well, right?)
We do indeed have a well. I had already decided not to resort to cheating anyway. If we should all die, I'll reclaim! This outpost shall endure for centuries!

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 09:50:33 pm »

Chapter V: Happy New Year!

18th Moonstone, 1051

By ordering our animals butchered for their meat, I have bought us some much needed time. To celebrate, I threw a party in the mead-hall. It wasn’t very productive of me, but I was mad with elation. Tomorrow, we’ll be able to work harder, with meat in our bellies.

1st Opal, 1051

Our miner, who was digging the channel that shall connect the river to our future farm plot, has accidently trapped himself on a miniature-island.

I’ve ordered a bridge made to help him escape; I feel like he doesn’t understand the severity of our current condition.

19th Opal, 1051

I’ve taken it upon myself to make the mechanisms necessary to irrigate our farmland. Although I know nothing of the art, where there is a will, there is a way!

1st Granite, 1052

By the toil of my workers and I, we are now prepared to make a farm plot when the time comes that we again have seeds.

This is possibly the greatest way to kick off the new year. My doubts of the future of this fortress have, for now, diminished greatly.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 09:57:13 pm »

Ooh, 23a.

I'll take your first useless noble.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 10:17:34 pm »

Ooh, 23a.

"Useless" as in nobles in general or useless as a philosopher is useless?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 10:20:34 pm »

Ooh, 23a.

"Useless" as in nobles in general or useless as a philosopher is useless?
The second.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 10:22:26 pm »

Does anyone more experienced in this version know when the first migrant wave will arrive?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 11:27:29 pm »

I don't think it'll be much longer.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 11:58:56 pm »

Memory tells me in this version they typically arrive early in the season compared to now where they arrive mid-to late season.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 08:40:44 am »

If you haven't done so already, apply these binary patches to fix a bunch of the major bugs in that version.
I would, but I don't trust myself with editing the binary.
In that case, you can grab a prepatched binary here which includes all of the bugfixes on the above wiki page.

It also includes the first 3 "improvement" patches in order to make it compatible with DFHack-23a, which you might be interested in using - along with most of the existing plugins (autodump, changeitem, cleanowned, getplants, reveal, showmood, tiletypes, etc.), it also includes Dwarf Manipulator (for managing labors), adds Melt/Chasm commands to the [k] and [t] cursors (just like in 40d, but only if you have a bookkeeper and have discovered the chasm), and even has some experimental commands to allow adding multiple Z-levels to a fortress (and inserting stairs/ramps to travel between them).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:40:04 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 02:16:03 pm »

May I have the first Noble to acquire a Feud?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 08:29:03 pm »

May I have the first Noble to acquire a Feud?
I'd be happy to fulfill your request, though you'll need to explain to me exactly what you mean by "feud."

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 01:09:28 am »

Sorry for the recent delay; school takes its toll on one's schedule. The next update should come soon.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 12:16:11 am »

Chapter VI: Addition & Subtraction

22nd Slate, 1052

At long last; just as our food supplies and our wills were diminishing, some migrants were spotted coming towards our outpost.

As I welcomed them into the fortress, I listed each one and their profession:
1 Farmer
2 Carpenters
1 Miner
1 Mason
1 Trapper
4 Peasants

I also decided that, while fairly unnecessary in the past, I should formally introduce myself to the arriving group.

I have informed each one that they would likely not be doing their ordinary job for a while, but that they would have a chance to make a name for themselves once the fort reaches its height.

6th Felsite, 1052

I’ve put the peasants at work preparing the turtles that we’ve caught for eating. One of them, a young man by the name of Splint, sought me out personally.

He told me that, ever since he was a child, he desired to be a mighty swordsdwarf. He wished to enlist in our fortress militia. When I told him that we had no official army, he was appalled, and demanded that he be allowed to lead it. We agreed that a small space would be dug out for a barracks and that he could train with the obsidian sword I had, for practice, made last year. The dwarf shows enthusiasm; perhaps he will indeed, one day, become a great warrior.

19th Felsite, 1052

When I went outside today, I found that the river was, unusually enough, flowing with blood.

It was common knowledge that there was an alligator that kept to itself in the lower sections of the river, and I feared that it had begun to attack us. What I found, however, was that the alligator was actually killed in a hunt by the trapper. I congratulated her, and asked for her name, to which she replied: “Mastahcheese.”

Alas! not all of my news of today is happy, though. As I was beginning to fear, due to our almost double-sized population, the foodstuffs have begun to be insufficient in feeding our dwarves. Tun Äkilathel, one of our original farmers, was found, starved to death, hunting for vermin. She was a brave soul, willing to risk her life in the creation of a new fortress. She will be interred in a stone coffin; this incident reveals to me the desperate necessity of seeds.

1st Hematite, 1052

By Armok! Peregarrett has fallen victim to the great pangs of hunger as well. One of our farmers has begun to panic, and is throwing a sort of temper tantrum. I begin to wonder if these migrants have been a blessing or a curse.

7th Hematite, 1052

The rampaging farmer has proven to be quite a nuisance. He has destroyed the door to the mead-hall and has wounded another dwarf. If he doesn’t quit it soon, I may be forced to exercise capital punishment.

14th Hematite, 1052

Both of the deceased have been interred in jet coffins today and, likewise, we held the funeral. Being that there is no priest at this site, I myself was forced to undertake saying the funeral rites, but I don’t think Armok cares who does it.

17th Hematite, 1052

Perhaps we will not perish in this outpost after all. A group of human traders have come in the vicinity of the fortress, and wish to trade with us! This time, we’ll be more careful. We shall trade ourselves into favor with these humans, and we shall live from their supplies.

On another note, in an attempt to comfort our workers, a new set of coins has been minted.

26th Hematite, 1052

Today we traded with the humans, and I have, once again, renewed hope in the future of this fortress.

We now have more dwarves for dwarfing, but we have lost two dear members of society. I hope to update the front page soon, to include more information. I have an issue regarding a rotting turtle in the mead-hall that no one is removing. How can I fix this?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5