Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Zatathel (Stabrings): Dwarf Fortress 23a Community Fortress  (Read 5848 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zatathel (Stabrings): Dwarf Fortress 23a Community Fortress
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:42:12 pm »

I've decided to have a small bit of fun with these forums and create my own community fortress. Unlike the others, however, this one will be played in Dwarf Fortress version 23a. For those who are not familiar with this version, it comes from a dark, distant past, when there were no z-levels and the dwarves never left their homes in the mountains. Strange, plentiful nobles barged into your fortress and demanded you to build weapons for them. All-in-all, it was practically a different game back then.

I'll admit that I have not actually played too much 23a (at all), but I hope that that will make this fort more fun.

Prologue:

In the year 1050, a great dwarven empire set its sight on the region known as The Lush Bright Barb. The king declared that colonization was to begin immediately, and a small party of men was assembled at once to carve out the foundation of the new mountain halls, before the nobles and more useful dwarves could arrive.

The group, unofficially led by one Thîkut Dodókker, or, as he was known to his men, "Thick Claspeyes," finally arrived at their destination on the 1st of Granite, in the year 1051. Faced with an enormous mountainside of rhyolite and flint, the group immediately got to work on creating what was intended to be the envy of all the world.

Little did they know of the sinister menace that lurked within the seemingly peaceful mountain.

Now it is time for some community interaction! I'll need names for the 6 other dwarves in the party. Although there is not much I can accommodate for as far as gender or profession at this point, I will do my best to honor your desires; plus, migrants and nobles will come later, and shall be up for grabs. What are you waiting for? Just give me a name, gender, and preferred profession.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zatathel (Stabrings): Dwarf Fortress 23a Community Fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 01:59:28 am »

Chapter I: The Start of the Outpost

From the Journal of "Thick Claspeyes:"

1st Granite, 1051

We have arrived at our destination at last. Our group, tasked by good King Urdim with carving out a new Dwarven outpost in these lands, has reached a cliff, which, as our miners have ascertained, can indeed support a fortress. We have left our idle lives at the Mountainhome in search of the destiny that we each believe awaits us in this mountainside. It seems as if this cliff is, itself, a force that shall change our lives forever. I write this journal in order to properly record what shall occur within this new fortress. I shall not be in charge for long, as I am only the leader for as long as it takes to satisfy the noblemen and bureaucrats that this outpost can sustain life. If there is any disaster, war, or treachery that occurs within these walls, I'll be sure to provide an accurate testimony within these pages.

As our group approaches the point on the cliff-side that has been designated as the entrance, I give my first order as the unofficial foreman of this outpost: "For the glory of the king! raise thy pick and strike the earth!"

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:02:44 am by Gnorm »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:05:19 am »

Oh, good sweet old school.
Give me male dwarf of some crafting profession - carpenter, mason or whatever, woodcutter is fine too.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 07:06:10 pm »

I'll take a swordsdwarf when one become available. Who will probably be inevitably mauled by a gremlin or some other stupid thing.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 05:52:31 pm »

Chapter II: The First Sections are Dug Out

8th Granite, 1051

Progress on the fortress entrance continues. It has begun raining outside, though, so we have all congregated inside the entryway to shield ourselves from the torrents.

13th Granite, 1051

Our miners struck copper ore today. Once our metallurgical industry begins to develop, we might be able to put this ore to good use. It will also make good coins, once the capitalists arrive.

4th Felsite, 1051

Work continues on the fortress; we now have 2 workshops, and an area designated for the dining room. The future dining hall is the top priority for our dwarves, as they’ll wish to have somewhere nice to be whilst they drink their mead. The tables and chairs are being provided by one of our carpenters, Peregarrett.

Meanwhile, the miners accidently dug too large of a space for our future farm plot. Luckily, the loud rumbling was heard throughout the fortress and a support beam was quickly build. I indicted our miners harshly, reminding them that it is never safe to dig a 7 x 7 room without support beams.

Still need 5 more dwarf names; anyone is welcome.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:48:01 pm by Gnorm »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 09:50:32 pm »

Chapter III: A Mead-Hall Worthy of a (Humble) God

3rd Galena, 1051

I have not had time to write much in this journal; I have been so busy. Yet, today, I feel that I must report. A single migrant, in the distance, was spotted, carrying the anvil that we so desperately needed in order to attract nobles with our coins.

He slowly made his way towards our small outpost, and dropped it right next to our crudely designed trade depot; soon afterward, he collapsed from exhaustion. I went to him and urged him to stay, begging him to help teach us in the ways of blacksmithing. I also pointed out that our mead-hall was nearing completion, to which he seemed more inclined to stay. I didn’t have time to learn his name before he fell asleep again, so that will have to wait.

20th Galena, 1051

Today, our mead-hall, positioned right next-door to our well room, was completed.

Compared to those which we had at the capital, it is quite modest. Yet, to one who has been working hard for several months, it is the grandest thing that he has ever seen. We have run into a minor food-shortage, though, so I have ordered our idling farmers to fish in the river. First priority is food, next is bedrooms, and after that is coins.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:53:20 am »

I shall sSwarm our new home with beds.
Bedrooms for everyone! And cabinets and such. Before nobles arrive we can have some luxuries for ourselves, surely!
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 03:47:06 pm »

If you haven't done so already, apply these binary patches to fix a bunch of the major bugs in that version.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 07:31:31 pm »

I shall sSwarm our new home with beds.
Bedrooms for everyone! And cabinets and such. Before nobles arrive we can have some luxuries for ourselves, surely!

Your optimism. It is so funny. Because we all know we'll spend our money on stupid shit and get evicted and forced to sleep in the barracks or hospital.

And then the nobility will quietly disappear, or at least the tax collector will...

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 08:55:43 pm »

If you haven't done so already, apply these binary patches to fix a bunch of the major bugs in that version.
I would, but I don't trust myself with editing the binary.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 11:32:33 pm »

Chapter IV: Food? Food He Says!

24th Galena, 1051

Peregarrett thought it would be a great idea to throw a party in the dining hall. Does he not know that we have higher priorities. I have recently designated some areas to be used for stockpiles; soon we’ll be able to move our supplies out of our run-down wagon and into our new home.

11th Limestone, 1051

This morning, in the distance, I gazed upon a trade caravan nearing the gates of our outpost.

I quickly ordered my men to bring the toys that I had created as masonry-practice to the depot; I hope that these trinkets shall allow us a share of the delicious food and the necessary supplies that they carry.

17th Limestone, 1051

The merchants arrived at the depot today, and, as they begun to unload their goods, strange thoughts began to enter my mind.

I suppose I was just nervous, but it doesn’t matter now. Now is the time to trade.

9th Sandstone, 1051

The trading season is over, and I shall reflect on what occurred here. The traders’ stock was small, but all food, so I was quite grateful. The leader, one Iden Odrozdodók, proved generous, and allowed us to have almost all of his items for our trinkets. The only thing that he refused to part with was a wheel of cow cheese, which he proved to be so stubborn about that he refused a fine door in exchange for it. Nevertheless, we now have, hopefully, enough food to last us a while. I plan to dig a long, straight tunnel though the mountain, leading to the farm area. I hope that we shall find water for irrigation, so that we may finally grow our own food.

22nd Sandstone, 2051

We have finally finished putting the finishing touches on our metalsmithing program, and to commemorate this occasion, the first coins have been minted. The design is quite nice this year, I think.

18th Timber, 2051

All of our food has rotted, and if we don’t act quickly we are surely doomed. A fishery has been built, and I have ordered everyone, including myself, to fish, for our lives depend on us obtaining fish before the river freezes, if it even does in this area. If it should, we’ll have to dig into the earth, and search for the underground rivers. No matter what occurs, I swear that we shall continue.

The food problem is rapidly worsening. I'll need to act quickly.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:34:52 pm by Gnorm »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 11:57:19 pm »

Wat? Food iz ovr? Screw it, im throwin a PARTY!!!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 12:46:26 am »

Ahh, this reminds me of that Crafteddream fort I tried to run, before it fell apart.
Hope this one lasts a long time! Can I get a hunter or a wood cutter? Named Mastahcheese.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 01:07:21 am »

Ahh, this reminds me of that Crafteddream fort I tried to run, before it fell apart.
Hope this one lasts a long time! Can I get a hunter or a wood cutter? Named Mastahcheese.
Any preferred gender? I also hope this lasts a while, though with the current food situation, I'll probably have to resort to cheating clever artifice strategies in order to survive.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 01:09:51 am »

Male, if possible, but I'll take any hunter.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5