Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fishing Bug Workaround  (Read 4043 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Fishing Bug Workaround
« on: September 10, 2013, 07:15:37 pm »

As the title implies, I know that there exists the bug that vermin fish will eventually go extinct on a map. Is there any way to work around this? There was a thread that stated if you hunt parts of a pack, and that at least one survivor made it off of the screen that the species still exists. Is this true for vermin? Is there a modable fix?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing Bug Workaround
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 07:21:16 pm »

Best is just to make sure Urist McFishery Worker has all his stupid fish labors turned off.

I really wish that hunters and fishery workers came with those jobs turned off. It would solve a great many problems.  An alternative, would be to have the fishing job be issued by the fishery workshop, like "collect webs" is.  Sadly, toady hasn't done that. :(

Instead, just religiously shut down fishery workers until you actually need fish. Therapist works well for comprehensively turning the tuna fingered morons off before they cause an ecological disaster.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 07:22:29 pm »

I read that on the wiki about leaving one survivor of a group of animals.

As for the fishing bug workaround, *sigh* I wish there was. Maybe DFhack could do something? No idea.

@wierd: The thing is that the vermin fish don't replenish themselves and there is no way to see the amount of fishable fish left. In fact, even if there are vermin fish appearing around, that doesn't mean the body of water actually has vermin fish that can be fished, which makes it confusing.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:24:53 pm by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 07:26:44 pm »

An interesting idea that I doubt anyone has tried, might be to put a tamed vermin fish back into the river.

*edit per above edit

Perhaps give the vermin fish castes, no egg_layer tag, no child stage caste? Sounds like a science experiment!

The game theoretically is supposed to spawn endless numbers of vermin behind the scenes, but now I wonder if gender and offspring tags would at least let you restock a pond or river with tame fish.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:31:23 pm by wierd »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:29:44 pm »

I think off-screen bodies of water (ponds and oceans) do not run out of vermin fish, but I don't have a source for that. I do not know if putting tamed vermin back count as replenishing the stock.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:49:00 pm »

Best is just to make sure Urist McFishery Worker has all his stupid fish labors turned off.

I really wish that hunters and fishery workers came with those jobs turned off. It would solve a great many problems.  An alternative, would be to have the fishing job be issued by the fishery workshop, like "collect webs" is.  Sadly, toady hasn't done that. :(

Instead, just religiously shut down fishery workers until you actually need fish. Therapist works well for comprehensively turning the tuna fingered morons off before they cause an ecological disaster.

There's a setting in the init file to have dwarves arrive with their non-hauling labors turned off.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 12:55:31 am »

I solved it by setting the population numbers of the fish to tens of thousands. Had a seaside fort fish up so much during a decade or more that if not for an unfortunate tantrum spiral, I figure they would have been at it for a decade more. Was running out of storage space too, and had to fire excess fishermen.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 08:38:04 am »

I've been wondering about this for a couple of weeks too. Specifically interested in how Meph does it for Masterwork kobold camp, since I hear they rely on fish more. Haven't gotten answers yet, but haven't pm'd him either, so eh. And was going to have a look around in Masterwork myself, too, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 01:22:10 pm »

I solved it by setting the population numbers of the fish to tens of thousands. Had a seaside fort fish up so much during a decade or more that if not for an unfortunate tantrum spiral, I figure they would have been at it for a decade more. Was running out of storage space too, and had to fire excess fishermen.
I've been wondering about this for a couple of weeks too. Specifically interested in how Meph does it for Masterwork kobold camp, since I hear they rely on fish more. Haven't gotten answers yet, but haven't pm'd him either, so eh. And was going to have a look around in Masterwork myself, too, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Maybe like that?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 03:07:07 pm »

Yea, I presume so as well, but that's still technically only a partial solution. Ideally there would at least be a dfhack script you could run to repopulate fish. Heck, Meph might even be able to make that part of his religion system... praying to the fish gods. :P Or it could happen automatically eg. once per year, of course.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 03:12:09 pm »

You'd need to dfhack in high numbers of creatures in a region. No idea how you do that though.

The best way is to set the region population to a few ten or hundred thousand, so you will never run out before FPS death or boredom. Damn, I should have tried that.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 10:24:57 am »

Yea, I presume so as well, but that's still technically only a partial solution. Ideally there would at least be a dfhack script you could run to repopulate fish. Heck, Meph might even be able to make that part of his religion system... praying to the fish gods. :P Or it could happen automatically eg. once per year, of course.
Only traitors pray to the carp god. And they shall be punished for their sins.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 10:31:43 am »

Oh no! The cult of the carp god has caused many a fort death for myself in your mod Meph :(

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 06:17:18 pm »

Only traitors pray to the carp god. And they shall be punished for their sins.

No explanation/confirmation as to what you did?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 03:28:41 am »

Simplest way is to go through standing orders and change Prefer Zone Fishing to Zone Fishing Only, and then just never create an appropriate activity zone.  You only have to do it once and it's maybe 3 key presses.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.
Pages: [1] 2