Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: [DF 34.11]Fikodtun, Land of the Loving  (Read 10982 times)

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 34.11]Fikodtun,a generic succession game
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 01:04:45 pm »

Alright! I'm ready to lead this fortress into whatever horrifying future it may hold for me. owo

I'm assuming we have access to Elves, so this spring I'll probably be able to secure a lot of wood for us if I'm able to cut enough gems to be able to trade. It might have been a good idea to start with at least one dwarf who had a good Appraisal skill, though. :x

In any case, I'm ready to enslave all these filthy drunkards build up Fikodtun's fortune so we're not in a load of horseshit anymore. My best bet for getting wood is to dig down to the caverns...there's no aquifer right? There better not be m8
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 02:45:50 pm »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiKKvJg60DutdHJnY0JWR2JhakN4LXhhNmRPZjJaT0E&usp=sharing

First, here is the roster after the first year, as promised.  I simplified it to just basic info for now, as I realized tracking the more interesting stuff might be better done in the catch-all notes area.  Feel free to add notes to dwarves if they do anything interesting or worthwhile (kills, there is an artifact column, if you had a plan for a particular dwarf that is not obvious).  If anyone else share my OCD, the orange columns have formulas you can just copy down to the row below if you add dwarves.  The white tables you need to enter things in.

Took a look at the save, and my OCD is already kicking in.

Did anyone else notice the farm is 15 z-levels and a quadrant of the map away from the central area?  I loaded up the the save and had to check back to see what the hell that was.  I am glad you walled off that lower entrance though.  Could end up being quite useful later on...

I'm curious to see what successive owners are going to do with this spire.  We essentially have a giant cone coming out of the ground to work with.

The open area in the front (or southwest) might be a great place to set up some defenses and walls once we get that far.

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 03:15:07 pm »

Took a look at the save, and my OCD is already kicking in.

Did anyone else notice the farm is 15 z-levels and a quadrant of the map away from the central area?  I loaded up the the save and had to check back to see what the hell that was.  I am glad you walled off that lower entrance though.  Could end up being quite useful later on...

I'm curious to see what successive owners are going to do with this spire.  We essentially have a giant cone coming out of the ground to work with.

The open area in the front (or southwest) might be a great place to set up some defenses and walls once we get that far.

I tried to non ocd my turn, meaning that I just digged/build how I felt was right not to achieve effectiveness.

I put that farm there to a.)annoy people b.)control the growth of crops so we don't get too large a surplus of food c.)It was the only place(that I could see) that consisted out of soil.

Speaking of defenses, I started building a lil' tower just at the entrance. Feel free to finish or scrap it.That's about all we have for now bar a raisable drwabridge that doubles as nondestructable door.
Alright! I'm ready to lead this fortress into whatever horrifying future it may hold for me. owo

I'm assuming we have access to Elves, so this spring I'll probably be able to secure a lot of wood for us if I'm able to cut enough gems to be able to trade. It might have been a good idea to start with at least one dwarf who had a good Appraisal skill, though. :x

In any case, I'm ready to enslave all these filthy drunkards build up Fikodtun's fortune so we're not in a load of horseshit anymore. My best bet for getting wood is to dig down to the caverns...there's no aquifer right? There better not be m8

Bah.. we have 20k+ worth of goldcrafts and a small cloth industrie set up and ready to produce. We don't necesarilly need to trade in our favour, as long as we end up with the stuff we want/need.

PS;to my information there is no aquafier. And even if there is, water freezes during winter here so just dig an access to the surface and let the water freeze.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 03:16:08 pm »

1st Granite, 252 AU

I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO WALK FOR NINETEEN FUCKING DAYS JUST TO GET TO SOME GOD DAMN CLUSTERFUCK OF SWEATSHOPS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alright, so my name's BlackMuffin (I know it's a silly name, shut the fuck up), and basically the Queen wants me to take over for this anushat Uvash (who seems pleased to be rid of his position as leader of the fortress) as leader of Fikodtun, which translates to "Glazedoor". Really, the only relatively sane thing about this place is its name (and even that's questionable). There's no kitchen and the butcher's shop is RIGHT OUT IN THE FUCKING OPEN, where everyone can smell the guts and decay that place reeks of, two completely idle farm plots (one outside, one inside), and all the workshops are arranged in such a manner that you may have to walk two steps to a fucking mile in order to actually get to where you want to be. The quarters are set in a relatively fine order, but they've got stones lying about which could be put to better use as building material.

And just my luck, as soon as I fucking arrive there I see some cocksucking Kobold rummaging through the mountain of crap that's lying around the trade depot. I yell at him, and as soon as he hears me he just darts. I don't think he/she (it was so encrusted in vomit and shit that I had no idea what its face even looked like) took anything since it darted away too fast for me to be able to draw it really well.

In any case, I've ordered the digging out of three more farm plots, managed the crop order of the existing plots, and I've also taken the liberty of adding an extra food production wing and a jeweler's workshop. I'm also ordering the creation of a new general purpose stockpile downstairs so that everything that's lying around the depot can be brought back inside.

I've also noticed that there is no sedimentary layer around here, so getting my hands on coal and iron is going to be a pain in the ass. Making any weapons is also going to be a pain in the ass at this rate since I haven't found any metals other than gold, and although that's got good economic value it's useless for making weapons. We might be reliant on imported weaponry for a while now.

Speaking of trade, I'm also ordering the fabrication of leather waterskins since that seems to fetch quite an impressive price in the Mountainhome. Don't fucking ask me why, maybe they just now noticed that alcohol doesn't hydrate you and that dwarves still need to drink water every once in a while.

5th of Granite, 252 AU

THIS IDIOT'S BEEN LYING DOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GOD DAMN CORRIDOR SINCE I ARRIVED HERE

9th of Granite, 252 AU

Another Kobold. This time it was Uvash who spotted her.

From his description I can infer she looked more like an obese black lady than an actual kobold.

I had ordered the construction of a wall around the perimeter of the staircase that just juts out from the fortress (what the fuck is that even doing there?). When Uvash turned around to go get more stone, he immediately saw a kobold right there, ready to stab him right in the anuspipe. Considering the fact that his legs were wide open just like my legs after a few drinks, it would have been very easy for her to do that if he hadn't turned around. He quickly chased her away and our fortress was fine. I'm starting to think that it'd be a good idea to create a ragtag militia right away while waiting for some more migrants to arrive, especially since these kobolds seem to be quite fond of sneaking around the fortress. The whole chase that occurred scared away more than a few chinchillas, so now our apparent main source of game is gone (I say apparent because every last one that we have killed so far has just been rotting in our refuse stockpile rather than being butchered). They might come back though.

14th of Granite, 252 AU

There's this girl, Vucar, who's the eldest daughter of a married couple who constituted the first immigrants to our fortress. She seems pretty dejected all the time, and I feel like she's got something to say but isn't comfortable with saying it. I finally got her to talk today and she told me that she had finally come of age last year, but there had been no celebrations. There was no drinking, no fistfighting, and no random fucking. There was only hauling and work. After thinking about it for a long time, I decided that her turning of age misfortune was indeed quite unfair and that someone needed to make it up to her.

Sure as hell wasn't gonna be me. I set her to work right away to make some rock pots so we could hold all the booze we were cranking out. Not enough barrels, apparently.

Also, another Kobold thief appeared today. Ingish the Fish Dissector was the one who discovered it this time around. I'm finding that this is getting to be a real problem. We should probably set some patrol out there soon enough. Maybe I'll get Vucar to do that too. We'll see.

20th of Granite, 252 AU

After 19 long and difficult days of mining, the general purpose stockpile has finally been completed. Now the rest of the workshops can be dug out and we can haul in all the stuff from the Trade Depot.

While everyone was hauling stuff in, Mestthos, Vucar's fire year old brother, said in a happy voice that he'd take over for the farmers while we were all hauling and immediately went to work harvesting the plump helmets.
I swear to Armok if that little shit fucks up our crops...

~*~*~
So that's it for Granite. I might end up taking 12 days to finish my turn at this rate since it takes so long for me to progress just one season. omo
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 05:06:10 pm »

Liwjatan, it's so much easier to just build locking doors on the trade depot when elves come.  You seal it up, and then a few months later you have a whole pile of wood to use and another pile of wooden crap humans and dwarves love to buy.  Sometimes you even get livestock and zoo additions out of it!

For bonus points, just build a shooting gallery above and you get free crossbow targets that move!

IF this isn't done before my turn, you can rest assured it will be done by the end of it.

Also, how do people feel about quantum stockpiles?  I realize it is rather exploity, so I want to ask now so I know how people feel about it later.  I just prefer the FPS savings.

Also, at the end of the first year we appear to be training our dwarves to be monkey killers.  I hope BlackMuffin can actually kill a kobold at some point to make the deceased list more interesting.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 05:16:35 pm »

Also, at the end of the first year we appear to be training our dwarves to be monkey killers.  I hope BlackMuffin can actually kill a kobold at some point to make the deceased list more interesting.

Like I mentioned in my entry, I might train Vucar a bit so she's not confined to only building rock pots.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 06:49:21 am »

Liwjatan, it's so much easier to just build locking doors on the trade depot when elves come.  You seal it up, and then a few months later you have a whole pile of wood to use and another pile of wooden crap humans and dwarves love to buy.  Sometimes you even get livestock and zoo additions out of it!

For bonus points, just build a shooting gallery above and you get free crossbow targets that move!

IF this isn't done before my turn, you can rest assured it will be done by the end of it.

Also, how do people feel about quantum stockpiles?  I realize it is rather exploity, so I want to ask now so I know how people feel about it later.  I just prefer the FPS savings.

Am I the only one who cosiders trading with the elves to be...beneficial? Welp, probably because I import all the cloth they carry along eventually. Also due to raising the fortress's exported wealth which results in an earlier baron/ess.

On the topic of quantum stockpiles; they aren't forbidden exploity as they might be, however do not forget that not everyone has the patience/will to micromanage them which might lead to breaking them down into their respective stockpiles (something I'd probably do). As long as you do not forget to mass unforbid the stuff in the quantum stockpiles at the end of your turn I don't see a valid reason to forbid them.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 10:09:09 am »

Liw, two answers :).

I have done dwarven science and learned that a ratio of completely slaughtering, to a yak, three elven caravans and trading with the fourth results in three free caravans of cloth and wood, with some cages and animals, while failing to provoke a siege through at least three cycles of the pattern.  So you get the cloth for free and dump the rest of your trade goods, and the elves wooden crap, on the dwarves and humans.  I think it gives a good return, but requires a little more patience to get barons and whatnot.  I am not exactly a fan of nobility, so I also usually just accept their presence as a set of mandates to tolerate.

I also hate the fact that when you are trying to trade a mountain of socks, tunics and dresses that are worn and you accidentally click on that one wooden item, it shuts down trading.  Elves are damn hypocrites.  They won't let us even look at wood, but they can cut it down and craft it all they want.  It's just abusive double standards in interspecies trading.  Screw them and their pointy ears.

For micro managing a quantum stockpile, there is a method which does not require any mass forbiding or unforbiding.  It works thusly:

Code: [Select]
.=.
.M.
===
===

=: The two sets of stockpiles are identical, with no barrels or bins accepted.
W: That is a Track Stop with set to dump in the direction of the small stockpile, in this case set to dump to the north with maximum friction.
.: Just floor, I put that in to make the code look right.

You set a stop on the minecart with the following conditions:

1: Take from the larger feed stockpile, in the south in this case.
2: Remove all track stop details (just remove the initial three options).
3: Set desired items in the stop to the desired stockpile contents.

What ends up happening is your feeder stockpile calls for items.  The trackstop calls for those items then dumps them into the single square.  Because it is dumping, it simply drops everything into the top tile without checking for how much space is available.  Because the item type matches the top stockpile, although it is overfull, no jobs are sent to continue moving the items.  So nothing is forbidden, and you get a very small footprint.  The only management is the initial setup.  I've run this in more than a few fortresses and had no problems.  The only trick is setting it up carefully enough when you make the track stop, route and stop.

For RP purposes, I think an elegant work around could be to dump into a hole down into a single square stockpile, but you run into falling items.

I use it to save on FPS, and to make it easier to coordinate stockpiles with workshops.  You can link the one tile QS stockpile to feeder stocks to control what kind of stone gets cut, and all the other fun.  I have never tested it with organic items like food or drink because of the mechanics of those items and access to them.  I also do not use it for clothing or trade goods, because it limits how fast your dwarves can haul to the trade depot (in my experience).  But it does allow for stone, wood, bars, gems and other mass quantity raw materials to stop cluttering up the whole base with enormous stockpiles that kill FPS with a huge number tiles spamming hauling tasks.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 12:57:21 pm »

4th of Slate, 252 AU

Alright, so to kick shit off on a semi-positive note this month I've ordered the digging out of an area right outside the bedroom area that'll be used for training dwarves (and Vucar) to rush to their deaths fight the vile horde of Kobolds that have been plaguing our fortress as of late. I'll be assigning the top 4 useless dwarves from our next immigrant wave + Vucar as the militia commander and they'll start training immediately.

Since Uvash McFuckwad decided it would be a good idea to clusterfuck the entire are next to the entrance with workshops, I had to resort to the closest point to the Entrance that was available. Within a moment's notice, the militia should be able to get to the entrance and (hopefully) defend from any ambush raiders we'll face.

In the meantime, I've set Aban the cheesemaker and Monom the carpenter to work brewing and cooking. Since Monom is a skilled brewer, I've let him take charge of creating alcohol during all the hauling. We still need to produce food, after all.

10th of Slate, 252 AU

Vucar hasn't been making any rock pots as of late. She's just been sitting around doing nothing. I mean, we've got the materials and all for her to be able to make them, so why the hell isn't she doing anything?
In other news, we're almost done hauling all the goods indoors. I might invest in a few wheelbarrows so that all goes by faster, but we're already short on wood as it is.

20th of Slate, 252 AU

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY

MORE MIGRANTS

23rd of Slate, 252

OH GOD THEY JUST KEEP COMING IT'S BEEN 3 DAYS NOW

THERE'S LIKE 20 OF THEM JUST IN THE DINING ROOM WHAT THE FUCK

27th of Slate, 252 AU

Ok, so basically during the wave we got 3 blacksmiths amongst us: 1 weaponsmith and 2 metalsmiths. One of the metalsmiths decided it would be funny to leave on impression on us by getting possessed within two days of him being here.

Good news, though: we also got a new stonecrafter, so Vucar's hiatus isn't of any importance anymore. She's just been sitting around the Jeweler's workshop for three weeks now, doing absolutely nothing. Glazedoors is now at a solid population of 40, so I've ordered the installation of more beds in the quarters and the digging of a larger dining hall.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:12:30 pm by BlackMuffin »
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 05:02:06 pm »

If possible I'd like a turn. Expect silly mistakes, though. It's good to see a nice simple succession game, without all the novelties and challenges usually imposed by others in their games.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:49:07 am by Beneviento »
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 07:30:00 am »

Grimmash;Personally I never considered myself someone who dealt with the complex mechanism behind dwarf fortress, ie. computers and dumpstores and all that stuff I have no knowledge of. Considering that dumpstores do save fps I see,again,no reason to forbid them. If you are capable of setting them up I sure as hell won' stop you, yet I won't install them myself nor do I encourage anyone to do so.
On the topics of elves;What,no sieges? How incredible boring :< but oh well,felll free to do as you please when it's your turn. I however will keep trading with the elves.

If possible I'd like a turn. Expect silly mistakes, though. It's good to see a nice simple succession game, without all the novelties and challenges usually imposed by others in their games.
Roster's full.
If ya like the idea you are always allowed to found your own successin game featuering similiar rules.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 09:15:45 am »

I wasn't trying to mandate them, just figured I'd ask how people felt about them.  Then I went down the rabbit hole.  They work best from the start, so it will really depend on how the fps is when I get the fort.

For the elves, one of my current forts has slain about 10 of the 13 elven caravans, and alas no siege.  I'm kind of hoping for one.  What does it take to get the bastards to actually use those birch swords?

Once I find a dwarf I like in the next save's migrant wave, I'll start writing journal entries.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 07:07:00 pm »

'Kay, so I've had like 20 metric anustons of work to do this evening but now that it's all done it's time to get back to operating Glazedoors.

~*~*~

2nd of Felsite, 252 AU
I'm really not sure how I feel about this.
I mean, sure, Mistem's been nonviolent so far and now he's actually started his construction, but I've got this really...foreboding feeling. As though what he's going to create is going to be literally the most disgusting piece of dwarven history ever created, and I doubt I'll ever want to put it anywhere if it's a piece of furniture.

In any case, there's a lot of elf corpses loose stones taking up space inside of the new stockpile, so not only have I ordered said stockpile to be expanded, but I've also created a dump area where dwarves can put all the loose stones I order to be cleaned up. This'll clear space inside of stockpiles and it'll also give the Mason some building material right around the corner from his workshop. Double win, really.

In the meantime, I've been ordering some gems to be cut, but Vucar just keeps telling me that "I don't have any god damn gems to work with you neckbeard." So basically, there's a stockpile that's literally half-filled with rough gems right below her and she says she doesn't have anything to work with. I'm not convinced.

Meanwhile, a Hoary Marmot is puking itself to death.
I feel kinda bad for the little guy. I'll probably administer a spanking to the guy who shot it and then kill the poor creature myself.

6th of Felsite, 252 AU
I didn't even think it was possible to actually make gold armour, much less a piece that just so happens to be an artifact.
He named it Ziriltogal, which sounds pretty cool when you don't speak Dwarvish but it sounds even more badass when you do. The name translates to "Firestorms". Definitely making my Militia Commander wear that thing.
...although upon closer inspection I'm starting to wonder how the balls he managed to make it have spikes made out of spider silk. I'm starting to wonder if he used beard gel on it or something.
...or some kind of more natural glue.

(I shudder to think that he might have jacked off on it or something. It just makes holding it even weirder.)

13th of Felsite, 252 AU
The elves have arrived. If I remember correctly we wanted all their wood and cloth, so I'll make sure we can trade for that.

Of course, we always have the option to fistfight them into submission so they can give us their crap but meh. I think it's a better idea to leave them be for now since we don't have a proper military as of yet.

26th of Felsite, 252 AU
So we did end up trading at a bit of a loss, but we got quite a bit of wood (most likely enough to last us until the Dwarven caravan, so we can make some barrels and possibly some extra beds), an entire bin full of Rope Reed cloth, and some seeds (Longland Grass and Wild Strawberry so we can get some new crops in). What we traded for that was 5 gold bars and just two pieces of pig tail cloth. They got quite a profit but I think it was worth it for the survival. Besides, we've got more than enough gold just poking out of the mountain. It's not like it'll be hard to make any more bars...unless we happen to run out of charcoal and coal.

Oh dear. Better get ready for the dwarven caravan.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 08:31:27 pm »

Well, at least I'm not the only one that noted the massive amount of rhesus slaughter.

If we get lucky and crank out a few more such pieces of armor we could have a crack squad of poo-flinging biters, and station them over a ledge, to disgust any would-be invaders.

"The Macaques of Impudence"

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 06:51:26 pm »

12th of Hematite, 252 AU
Can't really write much now. We've been really busy hauling stuff and polishing walls for a good while now so I can't really say much other than the fact that we've finally gotten the barracks up:

And we're also working on a new mess hall. By the time it's finished it should seat 32+ dwarves at a time, which should be more than enough once we reach the population cap.

19th of Hematite, 252 AU
I DID IT

I SAID I WOULD, AND I DID IT
So basically since Vucar's been sitting around doing jack shit all day for the past two weeks I decided to set her to a more honourable profession, and that is the role of Militia Captain and the first Swordsdwarf of Glazedoors. I've ordered her to start training right away, but she seems a little reluctant to get her gear together. For some reason all she does is train without ever actually using a sword, despite the fact that we have one lying around in the stockpile that isn't even forbidden. Ah well, so be it.

22nd of Hematite, 252 AU
And just when I thought that this month was going well, we end up with a Goblin kidnapper up our asses.

No doubt he was after Mestthos, but I checked up on him immediately when I heard word that there was a Goblin running from the fortress, and he's sound asleep in bed right now.
Looks like I'll have to sell the little shitstain to the Goblins myself now...
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8