Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uniform question: Urist vonSingleBoot?  (Read 660 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uniform question: Urist vonSingleBoot?
« on: September 10, 2013, 02:09:04 am »

I've gotten all of the armor for my main squad ready in my new fort, but I've noticed that all 4 of the dwarves are wearing just a single iron high boot.  I have 16 boots made, but they are wearing only 4 of them.

I can think of a few possibilities:
-For some unknown reason you need to assign "Metal High Boots" twice.
-I screwed something up by assigning Socks to the uniform as well.
-Many seasons after their last "pickup equipment" run they are still holding out on me and so I'm left waiting for the other shoe to drop (if you'll pardon the pun)

Has anybody else had problems like this?  What did you do to solve them?  How do I keep my dwarves from stubbing their toes on flying plump helmet spawn?

Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform question: Urist vonSingleBoot?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:40:02 am »

-For some unknown reason you need to assign "Metal High Boots" twice.
Correct.  Did the same thing recently.

-I screwed something up by assigning Socks to the uniform as well.
Also correct.  They need to put them on in an exacting order to make that work.  Not worth it.
[/quote]

Just assign them their two boots and no underclothes, and have them replace clothing.

PetWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:43:51 pm »

You do need to assign two boots (and socks, and gauntlets, and mittens). However, I haven't been having trouble - at least recently - with dwarves failing to put on socks because they were already wearing boots. I think this was fixed at some point.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 07:25:04 pm »

I modified the Uniform profile so that Socks appeared above Metal High Boots, and now all my Macedwarves are wearing 2 socks and 2 boots.

Gauntlets come before Gloves though without a problem.

Possibly it was re-issuing their armor that made the difference.  I'm really not sure.  However, making sure that the Under-layer stuff comes before the Armor seems to make a difference.

I'll have to test with my one-booted marksdwarves.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:10:26 am »

Gauntlets vs gloves are okay because they can't put both gloves on one hand - left and right gloves are different. Boots and socks on the other hand yield problems. If they start with socks they'll put 2 of them on one foot and then only one boot fits. Contrary to what other people said here, you don't need to assign two entries of socks or boots or gloves or gauntlets in the uniform screen - a single entry implies a pair.
removing socks from the uniform is a foolproof decision. As for adjusting the order of items in the uniform screen I'm not sure how exactly does this affect the put-on order.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 09:38:59 am »

Gauntlets vs gloves are okay because they can't put both gloves on one hand - left and right gloves are different. Boots and socks on the other hand yield problems. If they start with socks they'll put 2 of them on one foot and then only one boot fits. Contrary to what other people said here, you don't need to assign two entries of socks or boots or gloves or gauntlets in the uniform screen - a single entry implies a pair.
removing socks from the uniform is a foolproof decision. As for adjusting the order of items in the uniform screen I'm not sure how exactly does this affect the put-on order.

Yeah, I only put boots in once for the uniform and have no problems with it set to replace clothing. Where I ran into the urist mcsingleboot thing is when I had them wear OVER clothing, maybe that is what the OP is seeing?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 11:36:46 am »

If you set your dwarves to wear boots over clothing, they won't put on anything at all, because shoes on their feet don't leave any space for boots. I'm pretty sure what the OP is seeing is dwarves who put two socks on one of their feet and have no more place for the second boot there.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 02:41:00 pm »

The problem I was having is that the dwarves were putting a sandal or shoe on the other foot rather than two socks. A little bit different, but same result.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 03:19:52 pm »

Its interesting to read some other peoples takes on this. I have typically used full steel armour with replace clothing set, resulting in no clothes being worn. Ive recently been considering trying to get my dwarves to wear hoods cloaks and possibly mittens and socks as well.

I would have said that uniforms do require 2 boots to be listed but I tend to assign every item manually anyway (and doing so requires 2 x boots and 1 left 1 right gauntlet to be equipped/listed) so possibly a uniform set with 1x"gauntlet(s)" 1x"and boot(s)" does result in a set being worn.

Ive read the wiki page on layering. Im wondering, if one manages to get a dwarf to wear under+armour+over say, and that this requires equipping in a certain order, then as soon as a clothing item wears out and requires replacing, if problems might ensue, with I would imagine under items proving the most troublesome in this regard (since they might need equipping first before steel armour layer). I hope the poster who says that equipping armour/clothes in a certain order has been "fixed" is correct. I need to test this out.

I tend to try to equip every dwarf in my fortress with full steel, and recently I find myself wanting to move dwarves between squads which seems to have some unexpected undesirable and somewhat random effects on the items a dwarf is wearing (this may be due to my failure to understand/plan properly), which has resulted in a dwarf ive moved between squads getting nekkid and chucking a paddy. Thats half the reason id like full clothes coverage underneath full armour. The other half being what I hope/beleive/have read is extra protection from wearing cloaks and hodos in addition to full steel armour.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 01:05:54 am »

to address this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I belive they no longer have problems with putting on their undershirts and loincloths while steel wearing leggings and mail. So putting socks on top of boots is perfectly fine - I think it's meant to represent that the game abstracts the boring "take off boot", "put on boot" operations around the "put on sock" command. What I'm not sure about is whether the order of items in the uniforms screen does have any reliable effects on the actual order in which items are claimed and put on.

Moving dwarves between squads is a nightmare. This makes them recalculate the whole assignment priority once again, starting from the dwarf's former position and downwards, so moving the second dwarf in your soldier list to another squad or position will cause all of your soldiers except one (the first) to undress and reequip. This alone may cause undesired consequences, but they are made worse because some of those soldiers might be sleeping and thus they halt the reequip process for others, causing them to stay naked.