Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What are you going to do with your next fort?  (Read 4788 times)

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you going to do with your next fort?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 08:30:32 am »

I plan to embark on a Tundra/glacier environment that has a giant chasm in it separating a corner of the map. I will then find a way across and wall off the corners of that chasm, so that enemies can only come from one side of the map. I'll create diagonal walls, surface castles and battlements to defend myself with a drawbridge of nether-cap.

If I cannot embark on such a place, I will mold where I embark to my liking.

I will, of course, only do this when I know how to play better. I want this to work first-try.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 01:31:11 pm »

I haven't picked up Dwarf Fortress in almost a year. I still lurk the forums and give advice when I can, but there isn't much of a challenge I haven't tried or done. I started playing Dwarf Fortress in the Age of Megaprojects, where dwarves set upon an embark to build massive-scaled castles, underground cities and statues. Maybe we ought to start picking up these kinds of projects to fulfill the lives of the dwarves. Someone give me a spark.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 01:32:59 pm »

I haven't picked up Dwarf Fortress in almost a year. I still lurk the forums and give advice when I can, but there isn't much of a challenge I haven't tried or done. I started playing Dwarf Fortress in the Age of Megaprojects, where dwarves set upon an embark to build massive-scaled castles, underground cities and statues. Maybe we ought to start picking up these kinds of projects to fulfill the lives of the dwarves. Someone give me a spark.

I'm looking forward to about 2, maybe 3 releases from now.  With the idea of roaming bands of soldiers attacking and taking different lands from each other, I want to build out a persistent world creating keeps, castles, baronies, etc for a single civ and try to help it take over the world.  That excites me.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 01:42:21 pm »

I'm going to build a bridge over a major river. A river filled with carp. Abridge over a carp filled river made of metal.

If the river freezes, there will be rage.

Then magma pumping to make sure it never freezes again.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 03:25:03 pm »

I really dont know anymore, i feel like ive tried it all...

Anything short of haunted/reanimating/deathcloud seems bland and boring, but the ones mentioned are just not any fun.
Its the DF equivalent of shoving a screwdriver through your kneecaps. Slowly.

I really dont know how to keep the motivation up.

Megaprojects are definitely what have kept me interested. You can spend weeks or months building a fortress you'd be proud to take to the forums. And please do take it to the forums.

Off the top of my head, here are a few ideas:

--Recreate Isengard (Saruman's tower from Lord of the Rings), complete with giant pit-mine-industrial-complex-thingy and dammed river which can be released to flood the fort. For bonus points, cast the tower out of obsidian.
-- Dig out a giant artificial cavern, and suspend your fort from its ceiling. A sort of chandelier fortress.
-- Mine ALL the things! That is, remove as much stone and soil from the map as possible. You should be left with an open-air magma lava sea, at the minimum.
-- Build a giant wagon out of wagon wood and make your dwarves live in it. You'll have to murder a lot of caravans...
-- Find a cold/freezing ocean embark and build an ice fortress.
-- Build a sky fortress. It has to touch the ground at no more than one square (or zero, if you turn off cave-ins). Maybe suspend it, hangman style. Make it accessible only by projectile minecart, or something equally ridiculous.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 04:04:03 pm »

Off the top of my head, here are a few ideas:

--Recreate Isengard (Saruman's tower from Lord of the Rings), complete with giant pit-mine-industrial-complex-thingy and dammed river which can be released to flood the fort. For bonus points, cast the tower out of obsidian.
-- Dig out a giant artificial cavern, and suspend your fort from its ceiling. A sort of chandelier fortress.
-- Mine ALL the things! That is, remove as much stone and soil from the map as possible. You should be left with an open-air magma lava sea, at the minimum.
-- Build a giant wagon out of wagon wood and make your dwarves live in it. You'll have to murder a lot of caravans...
-- Find a cold/freezing ocean embark and build an ice fortress.
-- Build a sky fortress. It has to touch the ground at no more than one square (or zero, if you turn off cave-ins). Maybe suspend it, hangman style. Make it accessible only by projectile minecart, or something equally ridiculous.

1) Have tried. Doing large scale pits is kind of hard and processing it takes forever, even with [SPEED:0] dwarves.
2) See #1. I have tried this, but the stones fall and crush any dwarves below. This makes channeling and hollowing a mountain frustrating.
3) See #1 again.
4) Aboveground wagon? Made of underground wood. That sounds interesting enough. Maybe make a garden around it?
5) Ice hotel status? Extra points if the dwarves actually live in it.
6) I have tried this. It was a lot of fun, but really hard to pull off as expanding took FOREVER.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 02:56:27 am »

Well, I'll probably try an entrance design I haven't done before (honestly, most of my forts don't get past entrance design  ::)), maybe a long multi-level wooden tunnel leading into a hill. Mainly for aesthetic reasons, but at least it keeps me entertained for a little bit. Maybe I'll make an arena and actually get it to work for a change. Or maybe I'll browse the forums and copy someones elses idea if it interests me. Whatever I can find to spur me into actually playing the game to the point where I can call it mildly successful.

On a less in-game note, I would probably get a computer to play df on for my next one, My laptop can barely manage 30 dwarfs before  FPS slow down.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 12:51:53 pm »

Well, a few plans. I'd only do one, mind you.

1) Nothing but obsidian generator. I need to figure them out.
2) Minecart hauling to magma sea. This one might actually get used with other plans.
3) Carve a castle out of a flat landscape and raise defense towers and a mighty wall.
4) say screw it and do a no-pick challenge. No picks at all ever.
5) Actually start a metal industry? I've never really had a strong one, usually just enough to armor a couple of dwarves and then they stopped.

Defacto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 04:17:28 pm »

Well, I am a bit nooby. My plans are nothing ambitious, but...

- I will embark on a spot where mountain turns into forests or hills, as usual

- I will play until the end of the fortress

- I will pretend that I know nothing of Danger Rooms, the circus (haven't breached it yet so I am sure I won't have to pretend it very much) and any such.
And I will have fun, too!

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 12:59:03 am »

Well lets see what I have done in the past... May be good ideas for some of you.

Embarked in an area with only copper, wile at WAR with goblins, learned how to get steel with goblinite iron and trade. Made it the mountianhome with a candy clad military in the end.

Embarked somewhere where a portion of the map was ocean. After building a temporary fort I built a magma tower and casted the base of a fort 3 levels deep in the ocean with obsidian then built the rest of it completely out of green glass. I do not recommend trying to cast the base of a castle this way. It was an immense pain! I was planning on doing a breeding program with large water animals but I never could catch any.

Found an embark with WAY too much candy and gold so I built a honycomb shaped 10z lvl palace. The bottom 2 floors were gold walled with steel floors. The next 8 levels had an outside wall of candy internal walls of rose gold and floors of colbaltite and bronze with a nice pattern in all the rooms. The palace was almost circular so I put a 2z lvl gold crown and jeweled windows on the top. Made it the mountain home, the king loved his room lol.

Embarked in super deadly areas with just a pick... I now embark everywhere with just a pick.

Built a fort just to experiment with moving lava and water with minecarts, works great, but a bit finicky to set up. Way easier than magma pistons, especially a reusable one, but if you haven't made one of those before I recommend it for the experience.

Embarked with a all civilizations dead except goblins lol! Got bored because I never got enough population to get attacked.

My next fort (or the one I just started anyway) has lots of goblin neighbors, a tower, a war with elves from the start, constantly rains rotten mucus, and half the embark is ocean. I think i'll drain the 5z lvl ocean and build a castle there, then let the ocean refill after I get the outside walls up. I'll probably make it out of brick walls with clear glass floors, or maybe even clear glass walls and green glass floors. Make it super elaborate with all kinds of neat shapes and build it like a little city or castle above the water. Put windows everywhere especially underwater. P.S. you can't grow crops in an ocean biome, so i'll have to grow stuff on the mainland. Or maybe make mead for once.
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2013, 03:50:40 pm »

Try a 4x4 rather than 5x5 definetly as a 5x5 is BIG.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 06:32:18 pm »

Try a 4x4 rather than 5x5 definetly as a 5x5 is BIG.
I do 2x2 now b/c I am impatient and hate low FPS.

I just started a fort yesterday that I have to finish. My plan for it is to build a blood-volcano (as in I will have water flow through blood contaminants and then shoot up through the top of the volcano) that will take up the entirety of my 2x2 embark and will be shaped like a step pyramid, so it might have to go pretty high. It will sit on top of my city (which is above ground), and be cast of obsidian.

I've never actually used obsidian to make anything before, but the magma sea and the river will provide infinite amounts of magma and water to experiment with, so I'll get the hang of it eventually.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 06:50:28 pm »

Yeah, I'm having some low FPS problems here, trying to do things to alleviate it, but dunno. Getting bored with this particular fort anyway.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2013, 07:45:32 pm »

Can bones be converted into blocks yet? I'll restart by giant skeletal doom fortress made from the bones of my dwarves and their enemies when I can do it by modding the reaction instead of manually counting corpses and allocating a block each from a free reaction.
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 12:39:11 am »

Actually plan a fort before I start digging. I have a tendency to end up with a huge empty anteroom, a huge stockpile, really well-thought-out bedrooms, and then random tunnels occasionally interrupted by a 2x4 matrix of workshops and bedrooms.

In longer-lived forts, does it get hard to remember where everything's placed? At around 10 z-levels I have trouble locating workshops, and just a little beyond that makes the fort nearly incomprehensible. I kinda like the idea that some floors just become abandoned over time as the fort moves deeper into the earth, but I have no idea if that sort of thing actually happens.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 [2] 3