Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What are you going to do with your next fort?  (Read 4791 times)

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
What are you going to do with your next fort?
« on: September 09, 2013, 11:18:53 pm »

What are your plans - grand or bland - for your next fort?

Personally I'm planning on embarking in a rocky area and carving my fort into the earth, basically having an above-ground town in a quarry.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: What are you going to do with your next fort?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:34:25 pm »

Haven't gotten that far, figure I'll be in FurnaceClans for a while.

However, I expect my next fort is going to be a tutorial fort, as FurnaceClans (and the whole Single Pick Challenge) is kind of a tutorial for me on recording videos and learning to use the software and how to present things.  I love CapnDuck, and he made this game penetrable to me (which is one hell of an achievement). However I think it can be improved on with shorter, more concise episodes aimed directly at a specific topic without a lot of the time he exposes covering multiple things at once and then getting caught up waiting for a dozen things.  Also, a bit different presentation sometimes helps different people.

That, and as is sometimes said, once you've learned everything you can, start teaching.  You then learn even more and refine what you only kinda thought you knew.  If nothing else it'll be an effective exercise for me in general.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:36:52 pm »

Unsure.

Babysitting the eugenics research project is getting super boring, and has nearly burned me out.
I tried to have FUN a while back,  but the spark seems to be fleeting. I'd try a community succession game maybe, but my free time is too erratic due to intensifying job requirements. (Damned corporate takeovers....*mumble*)

Recently, I have taken to simply playing with the world generator, and using it to generate terrain maps, but that too has me kinda down.

I'd really love some improved user interactions in dwarf mode. Something akin to a diplomat/baron meeting during a siege, for instance. (Goblins yell taunts over the wall, user gets to select replies. Results of which influence the next siege.)

Perhaps my problem is sticking with vanilla? Maybe I should play with mod making?

That might be a good idea... next fort will be after making a serious game raw overhaul.
How's that?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 11:52:48 pm »

I think I'll embark in a terrifying biome and try to generate as many fell moods as possible. Gotta keep everyone on edge, but not so miserable that they go insane before they go criminally insane. I figure it'll play out like one of those Fallout vaults.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 11:56:27 pm »

I think I'll embark in a terrifying biome and try to generate as many fell moods as possible. Gotta keep everyone on edge, but not so miserable that they go insane before they go criminally insane. I figure it'll play out like one of those Fallout vaults.

ROFL.  That'll be one hell of an artifact list. 

"Hey, Urist, check this out."
"Whatcha got Morul?"
"It's an entire pile of trinkets... made out of... oh gods."
"What?"
*Urist just points in horror*

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 12:44:55 am »

My intention is to mine out entire z-levels to create a surface city underground. :D

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 01:39:11 am »

I'll wait till my current fort dies of FPS death then I'll go a military fort. 3/4 of the population in the army type of deal.
I'm thinking on a volcano.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:57:16 am by Edmus »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 01:46:30 am »

My intention is to mine out entire z-levels to create a surface city underground. :D

I support this as I've wanted to do that same thing.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 02:05:27 am »

My current fortress is looking like a long-term project, it's so undead it hurts.  8 dwarfs against the world of 140 zombies and counting.

I think my next fortress I'll try doing everything on 1 z-level just to see how that works out.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:34:02 am »

I really dont know anymore, i feel like ive tried it all...

Anything short of haunted/reanimating/deathcloud seems bland and boring, but the ones mentioned are just not any fun.
Its the DF equivalent of shoving a screwdriver through your kneecaps. Slowly.

I really dont know how to keep the motivation up.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 05:50:54 am »

I really dont know anymore, i feel like ive tried it all...

Anything short of haunted/reanimating/deathcloud seems bland and boring, but the ones mentioned are just not any fun.
Its the DF equivalent of shoving a screwdriver through your kneecaps. Slowly.

I really dont know how to keep the motivation up.
I just stopped playing for a year. That worked.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 05:53:56 am »

Just came back after 6 months, but after 3 weeks im burned out again... need a new release
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 06:12:53 am »

When I finish writing the next mod version: Testing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Once I've made sure that the new components work... um... Make exorbitantly decorated bedrooms for everyone and spend time reading the art? Make decorated leather outfits for everyone?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:15:34 am by Valikdu »

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 07:04:34 am »

I just figured out what I'm going to do on my next one, assuming I can figure out how to make it work before losing interest, if it will work at all.

Basically I'm going to create a world with the deepest ocean I can get, find a volcano near the ocean, caste a magma river out to a location of depth and caste a large block of obsidian that will become the fort. If I can devise a way to successfully drop the block to the ocean floor with my dwarves in it without flattening them, I'll go for that. Otherwise it will be an obsidian tower into the depths, and a significant number of windows.

I also expect everything I believe to work in one way to actually work in another, then making any and all plans I come up with to fall apart before I drown any and all witnesses.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 07:54:28 am »

I'm currently debating whether or not to wait until the next version to start another fort.  I can probably maintain interest in this one for quite a few more game years.

The next fort I'm thinking will probably be based on my modded griffons, and the idea of digging out a semi-above ground fort into the side of a mountain is pretty tempting actually.  It would be an interesting compromise between the above ground forts I've been building and the more traditional underground fort style I used last time with them.

I think I'm going to make another honest effort at a magma moat too.  I need to learn to use minecarts.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: [1] 2 3