Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dr. Radio's Immersive World  (Read 1050 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Dr. Radio's Immersive World
« on: September 09, 2013, 05:39:47 pm »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1311268883/doctor-radios-immersive-world?ref=email

Dr. Radio's Immersive World is a sidescroller shooter being put together by some of my really kickass classmates.  They've got a Kickstarter going, and they even had a booth at Pax to get people's attention.  I figured I'd bring it up here and hope to get them some more backers :D

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Radio's Immersive World
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:44:43 pm »

Welp, I'm hooked.  Love the style, like the concept, and the team looks capable enough.  Pity I'm not really in a position to donate to them, but maybe before it runs out.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 10:40:55 pm »

I'm in no position to donate to any kickstarters, but I will say that this looks incredibly slick!

And then I get to the very bottom picture that says "Where does Money going?" and I crack up every time.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:51:50 pm »

I like the gun crafting, talk about gun AI and some of the meta-game going on. Action science does sound pretty kickass.

Not too sold on the look of it though. Seems like a 3d engine crammed into a 2d format? And that's clearly a rough proof of concept.

Also, I think their funding goal may already be putting them in danger of not meeting it. That is a lot of scratch for a new IP from a new development team.

It's clear they've put a lot of effort into the background of their ideas....but for $250k, I sort of expect a little bit more on the proof of concept side.

I'll keep tabs on it for sure though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 11:37:46 pm »

So Loadout in a form of a "2"D sidescroller?
Suck me in.

Too bad I already donated my money to Awesomenauts Starstorm kickstarter, but I wish you luck nonetheless!
Although I personally doubt that you'll make the goal, which would be very sad, because this looks awesome.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:22:52 am »

Digital copy price is a bit too high: 300 copies at 25$, then 30$. That's not cheap. I fear they will have a hard time getting to their objective of 250k.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

TA Jacob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 10:57:16 pm »

Hello,

My name is Jacob Gaudette and I am one of the developers at Spooky Ghost Studio.  I wanted to take this opportunity to discuss some of the points that have been brought up in this thread as well as what we would like to do.  Before I begin replying to your post individually I would like to let you know that we are very open about what we would like to do, we have plans that must be secret but for the most part we would love nothing more that to make games that anybody can have the opportunity to enjoy. 

@nenjin - We love the idea of crafting not simply to make you "better" in game scenarios but also to liven things up.  We want it to be hit and miss so that even if players don't get something that is the "awesome sauce" they can still enjoy what is created even if it is for a laugh.  As for the 2d format it simply evolved to that.  As we began the process of creating the world we found that by manipulating the game play to fall in the bounds of 2d.  With this we can explore not only the foreground but also the background of the environments allowing players explore nearly every part of the world. 

As to the price point: 

When we decided the price point for the title we though about what we hate and what we loved.  When you buy a game usually there is DLC and usually that DLC cost more money.  We hate that.  Small DLC or tweaks should be free; and not until we make another 8 hour campaign or an entire other open world for you to explore / destroy should you even consider buying something.  This was considered as well when creating the kickstarter goal.  We have tried to avoid big names throwing money at this simply because it loses its sense of contact with players.  We want the masses to decide what features are important and how we should tackle problems.

The public is one of the best sources for improvement; you are our harshest critics and the voices that we value most.  Please feel free to message me or email with any more questions and thanks for taking a look at the game.