Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ovepopulated Prisoners  (Read 1472 times)

Modrean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ovepopulated Prisoners
« on: September 09, 2013, 02:20:07 pm »

Hi guys. İ've fought with horde of goblins a time ago. First time they'll came with a small vanguard. Then, endless battalions of axemans, macemans, cave crocodile riders, trolls. After some hard work of my marksmen and brave cage traps, i've got too many goblins and trolls. İ've put some goblins and trolls to my zoo. İ've executed some of the unarmed goblins for train my army. But still, there are too many naked goblin prisoners occupying my animal zones. And i've got some trolls and a cave crocodile. İ can't train them.

So what do you suggest use for my little prison army?

And if i unleash a troll (that i've catched from goblins) to a invading goblin army, what should be happened? Shall troll bring devastation to my enemies or just join them away?

One more thing, is there any way to "train them again" ?

Sorry for bad grammar

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Ovepopulated Prisoners
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:24:24 pm »

Treat them as ammo?  Pit them into a 10z high set of hatches and have them all linked to a single pressure plate.  When the next invasion comes... drop the last invasion on them.   :D

Modrean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 02:26:00 pm »

Wow. That's good idea. Thx for advice.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:29:56 pm »

I suggest attaching the goblins to restraints and using them for live combat practice. Chained creatures won't fight back. [PRE-EDIT] Or like WanderingKid says, pit them. That works too. [/PRE-EDIT]

Since the troll you captured belongs to the goblins it will not attack them if it is let loose.

Finally, you can tame creatures that belong to invading armies, but that feature doesn't fully work, as they will still try to attack your dwarves.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 02:35:35 pm »

Finally, you can tame creatures that belong to invading armies, but that feature doesn't fully work, as they will still try to attack your dwarves.

As I found out when I 'tamed' a bunch of war mounts and in my confusion in trying to figure out why they dissapeared off the animal list, I pastured the war mounts. Big mistake.

Modrean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 03:06:22 pm »

İ've chained some goblin prisoners. And i've told them to attack. My fresh recuit dwarven hoplites have attacked them.. 1 of my dwarf injured. Goblin enraged but recuit have killed him.. with cedar spears. How can it be?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 03:10:05 pm »

Did you disarm the goblin first? Use the v button to view the goblin and marking all his items for dumping. I forgot to mention that chained prisoners won't fight back when attacked, but they may be able to counter-attack if they manage to parry one of your attacking dwarves.

Modrean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:16:22 pm »

They are naked  :o . İ've took all of their items after i caged them. They are weaponless; even clothless

But injured dwarf is a recuit and his fightings skills are bad. Thanks for information  :D . So, goblin ammo project is seems better now.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 06:13:16 am »

if you build one cage, you can move all the goblin prisoners into 1 cage. They don't try to escape and you can put as many in there as you want. That should clear your stockpile
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 07:21:49 am »

I'm told marksdwarves gain skill faster by shooting at live targets, compared to the normal archery targets. Would it be feasible to build an archery range with chained goblins?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 07:30:13 am »

I'm told marksdwarves gain skill faster by shooting at live targets, compared to the normal archery targets. Would it be feasible to build an archery range with chained goblins?

Actually, you don't have to chain them, you could drop them down a chute into a live firing range. There are probably variants that also work.

You can also send them after birds like vultures and giant keas which are annoying your dwarves.

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 09:57:49 am »

Goblins/Trolls: drop them from a tall tower (possibly on menacing spikes), gather the bones as they explode into a lump of gore.

Cave crocs: train them over and over again until your civ becomes expert with cave croc training. Put a male into a sealed room, have a female lay eggs in a door-locked room. The offspring should be friendly and the 30 or so little crocs will slaughter their mother.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 02:55:41 pm »

before anyone tries this with the crocs: If they came with a siege, they stay hostile, so you can't release them for reinforcing training and after the first time training and reverting they disappear from the list and remain wild and hostile and are now trap immune (good job!). If you put such a hostile female croc in a room with a next box, she'll demolish the nest box (yay for building destroyers), so there will be no young cave crocs tearing apart the mother, ever.

On 'sploding goblins and trolls and such, the height needed for making them explode on impact has been increased due to new mechanics. It used to be 15z-levels were universally fatal, but they're not anymore. 20 to 25+ is advisable now. Going through the trouble of trying to get small enough bodyparts so they'll decompose to usable bones in a year or two is definately not worth the effort.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 04:01:44 pm »

Well, with minecarts the whole system could be automated. Make a hauling route that only loads your preferred species of caged humanoids, build a double shotgun that shoots them into the pit (which shouldn't need to be more than a 1x1 shaft?). Prisoner execution and splitting apart into craftable bones all in one. When you actually want to use the bones and need to haul them out, you should suspend the pitting though, but that can be done instantly in the hauling menu. A wall that gets deconstructed, or a drawbridge, are recommended to keep your dwarves out until then. And the pit-shaft extending to the surface is recommended to avoid miasma, of course (can of course be roofed over once the pit is light aboveground).

Imagine how the goblins feel, when their cages get loaded into a cart, which trundles along in the darkness, until it hits a wall, throwing their cage out of it... until it hits a wall, throwing them out of the cage! They might feel a moment of freedom and lightness, until they break an arm or something due to hitting the opposite wall of the tiny pit, then start falling downwards, ever downwards (e.g. a 100m fall takes about 4,5 seconds), with a small pinprick of light from the surface above them, and only darkness below, until... SPLAT!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 04:40:34 pm »

creatures exit a cage when it is dropped somewhere, forcefully or not? I honestly don't know, this isn't another atempt at sarcasm, looking forward to the answer, would be interesting
Pages: [1] 2