- 0 (0%)
Abandoned?
- 23 (20.5%)
something else?
- 12 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: October 09, 2013, 08:32:40 am

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: How Did Your First Fort Die?  (Read 10407 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: How Did Your First Fort Die?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 07:04:33 pm »

Hmm. That was quite a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure it was to goblins. Most of my initial forts died to goblins because I didn't have a good sense of what they could do, or how to control my dwarves (this was back when your control options were 'everybody can go above ground', 'only soldiers can go above ground' and 'everybody stay underground'). Took me a while to learn what defenses actually worked well and which didn't. I remember quite a few moments where I went 'Huh. A whole bunch of dwarves just ran out to grab all those items the dead guys dropped. Um...STOP! STOP YOU FOOLS!' and then losing most of my population as the civilians ran into the waiting arms of the goblins while my soldiers stood safely behind murder holes looking on.

Also took me a bit to learn that siege engines couldn't fire onto different z-levels, so I had lots of useless siege engines sitting on top of towers doing nothing. Which I don't think hurt me too much, but was a waste of time, labor, and dwarves who could be doing something more worthwhile than babysit pointless siege engines.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 07:12:10 pm »

I was many, many forts from my first before I had any die.

I'm a serial restarter, and as I learned how to play I'd look at my fortress, wish I'd done whatever differently, and walk away from the game to start over completely, new world time.  Usually long before anything bad was even happening in my forts - get a mood that needed glass, have none and no likely way to get some in time?  Hrm, I could have embarked with some, go figure.  Right then, new game, with that fixed from the start.  Don't even wait for the mood to fail.  That sort of restart, sometimes not even threatening any dwarf's life or the security or comfort of my fort (hrm, this floorplan's not really a good one.  Next world!) was enough to trigger restartitis in me.

I do, however, clearly remember the first fort that did die on my watch.

About 8 months or so after I really figured out how to play (Which didn't happen until about a year after I discovered the game, z levels and the interface initially confounded me forever) and I'd just decided to try a mod.  I picked Dig Deeper.

I really enjoyed it!  Things went well.

Until autumn of the first year.  A small squad of orcs came.  I had like three cage traps.  There were more than three orcs.  I had no military, no other defenses other than a couple of war dogs.

I watched the slaughter, then eagerly started another new world when it was over, tentative plans for defenses dancing in my imagination.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 07:16:53 pm »

Lack of drink.  Then lack of blood, as the goblins showed up to put the unlucky survivor out of his misery. :D

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 07:35:01 pm »

Sadly none of the above.  My first one died to a catastrophic misunderstanding of water presure.  I was trying to give my meeting hall a nice well and decided to tap the river to fill the cistern.   Next thing I knew the hall was rapidly filling up with most of my dwarves traped in the far corner with the remainder traped on a level above in the work area with no way to excape short of going back down through the now flooded meeting hall and there was enough preasure to flood that level eventualy.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 07:35:24 pm »

Lack of interest.

Also the occasional squad of goblin lashers armed with copper lightsabers.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 07:40:11 pm »

Attacked by a zombie siege at the beginning of the second game year.  I'd dealt with plenty of conventional sieges, but had no idea that necromancers could siege that early.  It was two soldiers against about 60 or 70 undead and three necromancers.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 07:49:39 pm »

A werebeast showed up. I hadn't figured out how to do the military yet. Abandoned the fort and started researching the art of war.

MightyPaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 08:05:08 pm »

My first fort way back in 2D mode was hilarious in hindsight.  It took me months of in game time to figure out the interface enough to make the dwarves dig.  Then I hit the river.  flood.  drowning.  mass hilarity.  I had no idea what was going on.
in times of peace nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blasts of war ring in your ears, then imitate the actions of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 08:09:29 pm »

None of the poll options apply to my first lost fort. There needs to be an option for "too MUCH drink," I.e. I channeled a river into my fort. The dining room flooded, the butcher went insane and chased my farmer all over the countryside for months, and the other dwarves were either unable to reach the larder/cellar or were trapped in their rooms, opening the door meaning a swift glub glub drowning death.

I could only sit and watch the end in shocked awe.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 08:57:56 pm »

my first fort died via rage quit because i couldn't figure out how to dig.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 09:34:58 pm »

I was smart enough to pick a site with a river, so I knew I wouldn't have to bring much alcohol. When I arrived, I was suprised at how much of the map was "empty space" because I had no idea how to navigate z-levels. When the dwarves started getting thirsty, I said, "Dudes, just stick the empty barrels out in the rain," out loud at the computer. "I thought this game was supposed to be realistic."

Then a Clothier got into a strange mood. "What does that even mean? Is this important? It's late autumn now, maybe my dwarves are cold. Should I build a kitchen, so they can keep warm? Kitchens have a hearthfire, right? How do I build a kitchen . . . and if you're in a mood, why are you just standing around not doing anything?"

Then the Clothier went melancholy. "So . . . that means you're going to . . . stand around some more, apparently. Fine, whatever, I have to figure out why everybody's thirsty when the ground outside is covered in snow!"

Then the Clothier died of thirst. "Figures. You're probably just first in line, pal."

"Hey, what's that purple stuff? . . . Miasma? Huh . . . this game is pretty neat."
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 09:38:39 pm »

It was many years ago, Just after the 0.28.181.40d version had been released It was my third fort but It was my first proper functional fort, I forgot water can also move diagonally when designing some water aqueduct
A lot of watery FUN

Just after the 0.28.181.40d version

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2013, 09:45:56 pm »

If you count abandonments, then it would be me not knowing you could use (v) to change a dwarf's professions.

If you mean by losing all dwarves, then that never happened for me.  I always want to try out something new.  Oldest fort I had was...three...four years?  And that was only because I was passing it back and forth with someone else.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2013, 09:56:17 pm »

When I finally buckled myself down and played a fort for more than two or three sessions, I skipped ahead in the quickstart guide and completely forgot to build a still. By the time I realized what the flashing blue arrows meant, everybody had already died of thirst.

My first fort death after I knew what I was doing came from a necromancer. He wandered on to the map, resurrected three yaks that I had killed with my military, and promptly wandered off. I had been meaning to block off the temporary trade entrance for this very reason, but the yaks managed to come in and completely wreck everything. To one dwarf's credit though, he actually did manage to kill two of the yaks before being done in by the third.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2013, 12:02:54 am »

My 1st 3 forts died by Cave-in, Cave-in, & Flood (respectively).

I believe #4 was a rage-quit when I realised I was doing an (IIRC) 40d tutorial in DF2010.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6