Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: The Kinda Sorta Build-a-City Game (Late Spring, Year 1) RL-Hiatus-ed  (Read 22833 times)

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Build Things (Late Spring, Year 1) Trial Combat
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2013, 10:34:54 pm »

Hmm...The general idea of the game is kinda...
Players start a village, players build it up.
Players look at the Psuedo-Medieval timeframe around them.
Players start metagaming.
Players start bringing in awesome. (chainswords powered by electric magic, for one)
Players either conquer the world or go out in a blaze of glory.

'course, we're still at the first stage.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2013, 10:41:27 am »

mmm chainswords... I might miss my lack of combat focus later on XD.

Onyways, time to get defensive! Focus will be on NOT BREAKING... Really wish I put Mick in this battle... also wished I'd taught formations, so what I'm about to suggest will only work if Ashsaber lets it really:

Squad shield dropped.
Spears 1 form a line to the left of the shield, 45 degrees. Spears out, and brace for charge. Spears 2 do the same on other end. Axes will wait in the middle and will support whichever side is starting to break or lose numbers.
Archers will shoot at enemy fliers. Archers are in the middle behind the axes, which also means behind the shields.

FYI, in an actual battle, you put the professionals in the centre to take the charges. Alexander The Great won most of his battles because his best trained infantry were in the middle and would last the longest before breaking allowing him to flank with cavalry. That, and in a real battle, I would NEVER put my guys in such a risky situation :)

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2013, 08:51:05 pm »

@Maxinum McDreich
Hrm...I honestly haven't figured out how to weigh backfield general vs field leader, so it's fine. Call it Acceptable Break from Reality.

Also I'm planning on letting players choose new specializations, due to some of the changes I'm planning on making.

~~~~~~~~~~
I should've kept a cleaner template. Oh well~

Battlefield, turn 3
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What Happened
Friendly

Enemy
[/spoiler]
 All units - Advance heedlessly toward Mick's unit (Takes more damage from surprise attacks)
 AC squads - move toward Mick and the giant shield.
 BE squads - move to flank Mick and the giant shield.
 D squad - start shootin'.

Combat Rounds
Enemy D squad -> Mick's all units
Bow attack (5 rounds)
The D squad archers shot at Mick's unit, but considering they were hiding behind a GIANT FUCKING SHIELD it had no effect.
Result: There was a nice sound of wood on wood.

Current Friendly Status

Current Enemy Status

Player Unit Compilation (reference)
Mick
Spear 1, Med Spear, 9 militia
Spear 2, Med Spear, 9 militia
Axe, Med Axe, 8 militia
Bow 1, Med bow, 8 militia
Bow 2, Med bow, 8 militia

Kwaa-Naa
Archer 1, Light Bow, 4 pro, 12 militia
Archer 2, Light Bow, 4 pro, 11 militia
Lancer 1, Light lance, 8 pro
Unarmed 1, Light unarm, 11 militia

Rolep
Rolling Kegs, Med Axe, 6 militia
Hidden Brambles, Light lance, 5 militia
Mocking Ravens, Light Bow, 5 militia
Unbridged Fords, Heavy Spear, 8 militia
Serrated Knives, Med Sword, 6 militia

============================
Your orders, Captains.
(Next turn occurs Thursday evening)
((Turn will also resolve once all the participants have submitted their turns))

As a heads up, this is what the enemy movement's gonna be next turn

Finally: for you ambushers: Be slightly specific on when you spring your ambush (for example: wait until enemy has crashed upon Mick's spear squads and they strike). Lets me get a good idea of what the ambush bonus would be.
Also, that auto100 def was because they were -completely- behind that wall. Not going to happen from here on out. hehehe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also again, since I don't think I can convey the information with mere words of what 120 men vs 50 looks like.
I call the picture "Mick is screwed" and I feel it captures the situation perfectly.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:50:18 pm by Ashsaber »

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2013, 09:08:54 am »

Same orders: Spears brace, axes ready to plug holes, archers fend of sky attacks. New orders for archers: keep themselves from being engaged in melee by running away to a distance.

Flankers, GO!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2013, 09:31:58 am »

Dammit.

Everyone: Wait until Contact of melee, better if starting to climb onto the BFS.

Archers: Fire at the back of anything that tries to climb on the shield!
Bombers: Wait until friendly axes are engaged, try their best to drop rocks to distract the back ranks of the enemy. Retreat behind the BFS via 6,7 afterwards to take a rest.
Lancers: Charge at D. Confusion, confusion, confusion. Get out ASAP if they start to regroup.
Archers: When the Lancers retreat, suppressive fire on D.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2013, 05:51:11 pm »

As soon as the enemy is barreling towards Mick, with too much momentum to pull back or stop, Rolling Kegs and Serrated Knives will charge, Unbridged Fords close behind. Once the enemy has been charged into, Unbridged Fords will attempt to fight their way to meet up with Mick's battle line. Meanwhile, Rolling Kegs and Serrated Knives will try to perform a Pincer movement, killing any enemies trapped against Mick and the Unbridged Fords, as they sweep sideways.

The Hidden Brambles, being few and small, with the enemy distracted, will move to 5,7, remaining hidden. The Mocking Ravens will move to 4,7, remaining hidden, ready to move into a position from where they can rain death upon the enemy from behind.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2013, 08:59:04 pm »

Things look a tad different due to...technical difficulties.

Battlefield, turn 3

What Happened
Friendly

Enemy

Condition changes

Combat Rounds
Mick's Spear 2 vs Enemy A, 4 rounds
The heavy spear enemies charged into Mick's pathetic line of 9 spearmen and promptly tripped and lost there balance! Mick's people capitalized and stabbed a few of 'em, before realizing their position was too bad and falling back to the line.
Unfortunately their concept of a line was a little hazy and whateverthefuck they made was mauled almost immediately by the second charge.
However, thanks to the bolstering of their axefriends the third charge was met with equal valor.
And everyone kind of tripped over all the rocks on the battlefield for the fourth charge. sad, really.

Mick's Spear 1 vs Enemy B, 4 rounds
Mick's second spear unit was a little overeager and almost counter charged the elves before Mick barely got them back into formation against an elf charge that...failed horribly. I don't think they slept very well.
The second charge went off without much of a hitch, except for the whole Mick's line buckling hard thing.
Third charge: the elves had slightly bad timing and the reinforcing axemen was able to barely fend them off in time.
The fourth charge was met with overwhelming resistance. In a show of valor and skill Mick's line miraculously reformed and struck back at the elven spearmen with a force so powerful it shocked the elves. Not saying much since they're all militia, but still it was impressive. :D

Mick's Axe vs Enemy A, Enemy B, 2 rounds each
While the axe squad was crucial to keeping Mick's lines steady, their actual service in battle was...bad.
the units that went against enemy A did nothing of importance, and against group B they were only met with moderate success.

Mick's Bow 1, 2 vs All enemies, 5 round total
vs C
 The Nekos showed great pleasure at climbing up this giant of a shield before hearing the dull *thunk* of badly fired missiles. And then they were chased off the shield by very well fired missiles from squad 2.
 The second wave of Nekos barely made it onto the shield, and squad 1 promptly lost their bows. 2 again picked up the slack and chased them off.
 The third wave didn't make it up the shield at all; squad 1 found their bows still in their hands and shot at the Nekos hard enough that they couldn't find a purchase. Squad 2 couldn't see.

vs A, B
 Supporting action against enemies A and B was a mixed bag of success. Enemy A was able to shield against some of the shots from Archer 1, but was badly shot by Archer 2. Ditto with Enemy B, but they had a better time of it.
 Well, if they had shields they would've had a better time of it.

Kwaa-naa's Lancer 1 vs Enemy D, 5 rounds
The enemy archer squad was shocked and dismayed by the presence of Kwaa's lancer squad flying at them at high speed. Their archers managed to fire, but the professional lancers weaved their way through the tepid rain of fire and FACESTAB! for great justice, and retreated out of range into the air before the enemy had collected themselves. There was counter fire but it was, at best, a failure.

Kwaa-naa's Archers 1, 2 vs Enemy C, D, 5 rounds total
vs C
 The Kwaa-Naa archers picked out their best positions and shot the bejesus out of the wall-climbing cats. Squad 2 in particular stood out by shooting the cats so hard their bows exploded. Good thing they had a spare. Not sure where they kept the spare though.

vs D
 Enemy D was reeling still from the lancer attack, the sudden rain of sharpness from above didn't help their case any.

Kwaa-naa's Unarmed 1 vs Enemy A, B, C (1 round)
The unarmed bombers dropped the boulders they're carrying at random into the enemy's front lines, disrupting their concetration and not much else.

Rolep
Rolling Kegs, Serrated Knives, Unbridged Fords vs Enemy A (5 rounds)
Rolep's goblins sprung out of ambush right when the enemy units charged and slammed into their side. The, uh, enemies were caught badly off guard (they are just militia) and were summarily barreled over as Rolep's squad joined in with Mick's unit.

Round Conclusion
Mick's unit:
 Spear 1, 2 sustained casualties

Kwaa-naa's unit
 Lancer 1 sustained casualties

Rolep's unit
 Rolling Kegs sustained casualties

Enemy
 Squads A, B sustained casualties
 Squad C sustained heavy casualties
 Squad D sustained heavy casualties

Current Friendly Status

Current Enemy Status

Player Unit Compilation (reference)

Event
Mammoth Charge's forces have joined the battle!
Enemy reinforcements: 25 medium human swordsmen.
============================
Your orders, Captains.
(Next turn occurs Saturday evening)
((Turn will also resolve once all the participants have submitted their turns))
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:17:24 pm by Ashsaber »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2013, 09:04:49 pm »

LEEEEEEROY JENKINS! Seriously, just charge using default tactics.

Also, broken spoiler is broken.

In addition, once we can research magic, I'm totally going to create a spell that turns a unit into a flaming comet of fiery doom. It will be the ultimate charge spell.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2013, 09:16:44 pm »

@Elephant Charge
Wups, thanks for the catch.
Duly noted on the tactic. :3

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2013, 09:18:15 pm »

Archers Pew pew pew pew pew pew. Everyone else take a rest; bombers should  find another good boulder.

*do my bombers actually help the battle in any way? I mean if you see tons of boulders dropping on your head you would at least take morale or organization hits!

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2013, 11:28:59 pm »

@evilcherry
They do, but they're, y'know, a small squad of bombers bombing at random, so the effect is lessened.
...I guess it's fairer to say they're more like a light bomber than a bona fide, B-52 style bomber. you can only carry a rock so large and still fly fast/high enough to not die from counter action.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2013, 01:41:11 am »

Have them all combine and cooperate to lift one giant boulder and drop it in the middle of the biggest formation!
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2013, 06:23:07 am »

Have them all combine and cooperate to lift one giant boulder and drop it in the middle of the biggest formation!
veto

I simply don't want an accident to our feline friends.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2013, 07:34:15 am »

That, and this is a training exercise... a boulder could probably ACTUALLY kill some of our townsfolk. :P

Same actions as before: Spears defend, taking steps back if the enemy push in too close. Axe's rush to any holes in the lines. Archers keep distance, and shoot enemy air units.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2013, 08:33:30 am »

I'm taking slight liberties with the whole "this is a training exercise" thing (as in the bombers even with light boulders can cause deaths), so...you can do the Voltron bomb, but, y'know, enemy archers.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19