Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help With the Necro Tower  (Read 2217 times)

auris2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help With the Necro Tower
« on: September 08, 2013, 11:08:04 pm »

So I brought 13 meat shields in my assault on the tower and managed to decapitate every zombie, one hit each. My meat shields are all dead now, but so is the single necromancer who lived in the tower. After searching I found two books, one called 'The History of Death' and the other called 'The Ringleader when it Counts'. I read both through the interaction menu but i am still a normal human (checked by going to x and then p, no raise undead or whatever it is called). I searched every room in the tower and could not find a slab to read, only a bunch of tables with nothing on them. What am i missing?

Also another question, will my stats freeze when i become a necromancer?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Help With the Necro Tower
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:03:50 am »

If I remember right, yes, your stats freeze upon becoming a necromancer. Though the wiki page doesn't mention whether or not this is true.

When you read the books, what were they about? 'The History of Death' sounds like it should have been the right one. Also, did you check the necromancer's inventory? sometimes they carry their books around with them.

Edit: may as well add the usual checklist of errors for anyone with a similar problem who looks at this thread. Though I can't see that you did anything wrong.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:49:29 am by BlackFlyme »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 05:55:38 am »

It can also be a slab placed somewhere in the tower, right?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 07:20:28 am »

It can also be a slab placed somewhere in the tower, right?

Someone is given a slab in the worldgen and he becomes a necromancer by reading it. When he has enough zombies, he can start a tower and his own entity. The secret can be taught to apprentice necromancers, or written down in books--you can't become an apprentice but either reading the books or the slab should be fine, and both ought to be in the tower.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 09:51:55 am »

Isn't the right book supposed to be called "Secrets of Life and Death"?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 10:05:58 am »

It doesn't have to be, though that is usually in the subject description iirc
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 01:39:47 pm »

Did you put a point in the Reader skill?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

auris2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 02:36:28 pm »

If I remember right, yes, your stats freeze upon becoming a necromancer. Though the wiki page doesn't mention whether or not this is true.

When you read the books, what were they about? 'The History of Death' sounds like it should have been the right one. Also, did you check the necromancer's inventory? sometimes they carry their books around with them.

Edit: may as well add the usual checklist of errors for anyone with a similar problem who looks at this thread. Though I can't see that you did anything wrong.

Thank you for the helpful answer, ill paste the text that is shown after reading 'The History of Death'

"You read the history of death. The written portion consists of  a 21 page essay entitled the history of death authored by Lor Clenchsilver. It concerns death, the writing is reasonably serious."

I have read a few times and no luck. Also checked the necro's corpse and he had nothing useful on him. I am also fairly certain that i am not already a vamp or werebeast as i still need to eat normal food.

Also i have modestmod 2.1 installed and part the grim grimoire mod installed.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 03:01:31 pm »

Thank you for the helpful answer, ill paste the text that is shown after reading 'The History of Death'

"You read the history of death. The written portion consists of  a 21 page essay entitled the history of death authored by Lor Clenchsilver. It concerns death, the writing is reasonably serious."

I have read a few times and no luck. Also checked the necro's corpse and he had nothing useful on him. I am also fairly certain that i am not already a vamp or werebeast as i still need to eat normal food.

The book concerns "death", not "the secrets of life and death"? I'd call it odd for a necromancer to write a book about death that doesn't include necromancy, but then again I've once come across an untitled poem that was actually about nothing. The writing was superfluous.

Are there any other necromancer towers in the world? There is a chance that the one you killed was only an apprentice of another necromancer somewhere in the world, and that the one that you killed never managed to write a book about necromancy.

Also, it is possible to be a werebeast or a vampire necromancer, and I believe I have heard of a husk necromancer once. But you cannot be a vampire and a werebeast at the same time.

auris2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 03:40:34 pm »

The book concerns "death", not "the secrets of life and death"? I'd call it odd for a necromancer to write a book about death that doesn't include necromancy, but then again I've once come across an untitled poem that was actually about nothing. The writing was superfluous.

Are there any other necromancer towers in the world? There is a chance that the one you killed was only an apprentice of another necromancer somewhere in the world, and that the one that you killed never managed to write a book about necromancy.

Also, it is possible to be a werebeast or a vampire necromancer, and I believe I have heard of a husk necromancer once. But you cannot be a vampire and a werebeast at the same time.

There aren't any other towers in my world that i am aware of

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 03:59:13 pm »

have you looked around if maybe there is a slab with some writing somewhere in the tower?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 04:04:20 pm »

He's already mentioned checking every room, table, and dead necromancer for books/slabs.

The only thing I can think of would be to retire, then go into legends mode and see if you can find any books or slabs there. They will be listed under the artifacts page.

auris2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 04:49:40 pm »

He's already mentioned checking every room, table, and dead necromancer for books/slabs.

The only thing I can think of would be to retire, then go into legends mode and see if you can find any books or slabs there. They will be listed under the artifacts page.

I went into legends mode and found two books with death in their title, one seemed to be about a devil assuming leader position in a civ and the other 'concerned death', but neither were located in the necro tower i was at. it seems i have found all the books in the tower already too.

*edit* *again*: Looking at the historical maps in legends mode i can see only a single necro tower.

The book 'concerning death' was written by a tortoise devil.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:04:10 pm by auris2 »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 05:42:59 pm »

Just went to check out the wiki page for necromancers.

Death isn't the only word that can appear in the title of a book containing the secrets of necromancy, and thankfully the wiki page has a list of possible words. Actually, the list looks the same as the one in the /Dwarf_Fortress/raw/objects/text/ directory, within the secret_death.txt file. I haven't made secret powers before, but I'm sure this isn't coincidence. Anyways, other possible words include:

Though if there aren't too many books you could probably skim them all. Keep an eye out for any slabs in the legends mode list; they will definitely have the secret.

auris2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 05:57:42 pm »

Just went to check out the wiki page for necromancers.

Death isn't the only word that can appear in the title of a book containing the secrets of necromancy, and thankfully the wiki page has a list of possible words. Actually, the list looks the same as the one in the /Dwarf_Fortress/raw/objects/text/ directory, within the secret_death.txt file. I haven't made secret powers before, but I'm sure this isn't coincidence. Anyways, other possible words include:

Though if there aren't too many books you could probably skim them all. Keep an eye out for any slabs in the legends mode list; they will definitely have the secret.

Thanks for the help!! Unfortunately the corpse of my adventurer rests in the stomach of a dozen alligators, in an insanely massive river. I tried to swim across a waterfall and got sucked into a massive alligator party. :P Time to try again lol