Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My headphones won't work, please help.  (Read 1617 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My headphones won't work, please help.
« on: September 08, 2013, 05:03:34 pm »

I have a pair of turtlebeach headphones that look like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Today, they started bein' silly and making everything sound quiet and strange unless I applied pressure on the wire like SO:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(grabbing the end of the wire closest to the settings box and pushing into the settings box.)

wat do help

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My headphones won't work, please help.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 05:08:34 pm »

The headphones are likely starting to break down. It's pretty common in some cases for headphones that get used a lot to eventually start to have connection problems. These usually happen when the male connector gets bent out of shape due to rough and unfortunate mishandling or when the wires or the material covering them start to deteriorate and as a result get damaged. You'll likely have to replace these headphones of yours unless you know someone who can repair them.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 06:39:35 pm »

I find that happens when the wires start coming off of the mounting at the point where the wire meets the PCB.  You can temporarily fix it by pressing them into place and then taping them tightly, but eventually your only option will be to solder them back on (often not possible), or to replace the headphones.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 04:52:11 am »

Tip: Get some expensive ones. They last several times as long, have awesome sound quality, and double your street cred with audiophiles.
Sennheiser HD 25 MK 2 is a pair I can really, really recommend. And there actually are replacement parts, which means that when one part breaks down, you don't have to buy all-new headphones!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 03:00:16 pm »

Tip: Get some expensive ones. They last several times as long, have awesome sound quality, and double your street cred with audiophiles.
Sennheiser HD 25 MK 2 is a pair I can really, really recommend. And there actually are replacement parts, which means that when one part breaks down, you don't have to buy all-new headphones!

r u sure ur not a Sennheiser shill

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:40:55 pm »

If you're willing to go full ghetto, you can cut the volume box out and solder the remaining wire together.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:50:48 pm »

If you're willing to go full ghetto, you can cut the volume box out and solder the remaining wire together.

well that has the mic mute and stuff on it too so

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 04:01:19 am »

r u sure ur not a Sennheiser shill
Nah, but I have a pair of these - fuckin' awesome.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.