Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should I write about your characters?

Using your forum name (As I have been)
- 9 (39.1%)
Using your character name (As I do in my other RtD)
- 11 (47.8%)
No opinion
- 2 (8.7%)
I shouldn't, I really need to stop running games. It's that bad.
- 1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35

Author Topic: Roll to Survive - This game will Survive!  (Read 44028 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Survive, Looking for Food [new additions go to waitlist]
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2013, 07:38:21 pm »

Turn 7

Search out the room with care.
You (2) not so stealthy walk into the room. Navigating the maze of rock formations you suddenly see a cave mantis reared up in front of you. It towers over you, at least half again your height. It has a rough dark and grey patterned exterior, blending in exceptionally well with its environment. At first glance it sems to even be made of stone, but as your eyes focus on it better you can see a difference in the sheen of its chitin compared to the rest of the cave. It has blade-like front limbs at least as long as your arm, folded against its body but poised to strike. It also has ferocious looking madibles. You have no knowledge of these sorts of creature, and all your training has to do with fighting human opponents, leaving you no clue as to this giant insects weaknesses.
[3 vs 2+1] Having the element of surprise it manages to bring one of it's huge arms down into the spot your body had just occupied, but you don't get your foot out of the way in time. Your left foot is gashed open making movement difficult (-1 to any action requiring much movement)

Strip the rest of the meat and organs from my dead wolf and organs from the others. Doesn't need to be pretty. Go to the cave and wait for waldo the wolf to make up.
(6) Looking down at the mostly mangled butchering job of the final wolf you suddenly have a moment of clarity. You take your knife and manage to remove all the edible organs and even manage to quite a bit more meat off. (All only pet-edible)
You bring Waldo with you to the cave and lay him in the atrium.

Empty the barrel, carry it inside
You dump out the barrel of saltwater and bring it into the cave.

Fine. Foray into the forest, and look for some wood. Using the knife, That I borrowed, whittle it into a wolf-shaped headpiece. This wolf is getting Head-armor.
(4) You find a suitable piece of smooth wood and shape it into something like a mask for a wolf. Should provide plenty of mobility, but Waldo is small, and you'll have to see how he fares with it when he wakes up.

Keep looking for resources and food. Give some of the water from the pool to the wolf.
You fill the earlier made bowl with water from the pool and bring it to Waldo's lip. He reflexively swallows, though unconscious. You can see no ill effects on him.

Not seeing many options, he picks up a rock from the floor, and uses his knife to try and replicate the same symbol on the stone. 
(6) You manage to find a suitable stone and quickly carve the symbol exactly as you remember it. As you finish you look up to see scapheap's foot torn into by the cave mantis. So much for careful exploration.

Fill the barrel up with fresh water from the stream.
You fill the barrel with stream water.

Spoiler: Party Status and Food (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:45:00 pm by Samarkand »
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2013, 07:40:34 pm »

Just fill up the barrel then
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2013, 07:43:50 pm »

Grab a bunch of throwable rocks and go into the cave

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2013, 07:43:56 pm »

Throw the rock at the mantis' head, willing it to glow brightly to try and create a distraction (as it is a deep cave creature, I'm guessing it doesn't like light too much).  Use the distraction to get myself and Scapheap to safety.

((Also note to everyone else, we may need some help in here))
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:48:54 am by draco1234 »

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2013, 07:44:24 pm »

Just fill up the barrel then
I adjusted the result. Thanks
My Area

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2013, 07:45:55 pm »

" Fighting to be done, knife please. "

Get my knife then sneak up on the mantis and hack off one of it's legs before jumping away from it.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2013, 07:46:49 pm »

((I'm coming, wait for the beardy herbalist to beat the crap out of that mantis))

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2013, 08:03:12 pm »

Look around cave for a place to set up a chapel. If I happen across something like a giant cave mantis, or another beast, pray to my god for guidance.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:33:30 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2013, 08:15:56 pm »

Look around cave for a place to set up a chapel.

Well, your god did tell you to clear out the darkness, and I would say a giant cave mantis is pretty dark....  So come join the war party, if you don't have a weapon I'm sure preaching at it will help  :P

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Survive - Found food... and a Giant Cave Mantis [In Progress]
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2013, 09:09:49 pm »

I'd like my bow... Grab said weapon and shoot the creature in the left eye.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2013, 09:12:17 pm »

"No problem we can swap.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2013, 05:42:28 am »

When in doubt, stab whatever seem important(knight saying)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2013, 01:22:18 pm »

((I have most of the next turn written, but depending on when Urist posts I may or may not be able to post it, because I have an event tonight from 5 till 11. I'll post when I get back, but won't have any time till then.))
My Area

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2013, 01:47:50 am »

Turn 8

Grab a bunch of throwable rocks and go into the cave
(2) You only manage to grab three rocks before you rush into the cave.

Throw the rock at the mantis' head, willing it to glow brightly to try and create a distraction (as it is a deep cave creature, I'm guessing it doesn't like light too much).  Use the distraction to get myself and Scapheap to safety.
(3) Your aim is fair, the rock sailing to with a few inches of the mantis' head.
(3) As you release the rock you pull energy around you through your body and arm and into the rock. As it sails through the air you feel energy building around it, till it all sinks into the rock. The carving on it momentarily glows before the entire rock bursts forth with light, causing the mantis to flinch away and flail at the rock with it's arms.
(2) You fail to send all of the energy out of your body, and you're left with a sense of unreleased chaos inside of you. (Change will be resolved after combat)

When in doubt, stab whatever seem important(knight saying)
(4 vs 6-1) You try to find a spot within your reach, but despite the mantis' vulnerable position you cannot reached the flailing beast. Draco pulls you behind a pair of stalagmites, with no way out but at least offering some protection from the mantis.

Get my knife then sneak up on the mantis and hack off one of it's legs before jumping away from it.
(4+1 vs 1-1) You dash behind the mantis while it is distracted and drive your dagger into a gap in its chitin. You manage to destroy it's back leg in this way, leaving it unstable and slowed, but still quite dangerous.

I'd like my bow... Grab said weapon and shoot the creature in the left eye.
(5+1 vs 6) You notice it's bulging eyes and think you may have found a weak point. Quickly loosing an arrow it looks as though you will hit your mark, but the mantis' erratic movement causes you to just barely graze it's head. You do think you see a slight tear in one of it's mandibles.

Look around cave for a place to set up a chapel. If I happen across something like a giant cave mantis, or another beast, pray to my god for guidance.
You walk into the cave, but quickly realize the atrium would be a poor place for a chapel. You hear commotion down a side path and follow the sound. Suddenly you see a giant mantis along with all your fellow survivors. You ask your god for guidance...
(4) and momentarily except your god into your body. You feel yourself rush forward, barreling into the confused and unbalanced mantis.
(4 vs 2) It is flipped onto its back, flailing around wildly, still presenting a danger, but it seems unable to right itself with its leg missing.

Spoiler: Party Status and Food (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)
My Area

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2013, 02:50:48 am »

((Unreleased chaos doesn't sound fun..))

Danath grimaced as he felt the unreleased energy tearing through his body.  "Damnit, this stuff is dangerous."  He had a moment of satisfaction however when he saw the mantis stuck on it's back, unable to right itself. 

Grab rocks off of the floor and throw them at the mantis.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35