Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advanced worldgen parameters for dragons  (Read 406 times)

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advanced worldgen parameters for dragons
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:42:04 pm »

My goal here is to trap, train, and breed large (several centuries old, ideally fully grown) dragons. After trying a few different basic worldgens and looking through legends, I don't think that's feasible with the basic settings. The dragons are either too small (short history) or mostly dead (long history) when I'd create a fort.

I have very little experience with the advanced worldgen settings. Has anybody attempted to make similar fort or create any megabeast-dense world long after world creation? I'm at a little bit of a loss as to where to start.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced worldgen parameters for dragons
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 03:29:24 am »

One of the Advanced Worldgen Parameter options, specifically "Max Megabeast Caves", allows you to set exactly how many megabeasts there are, anywhere from none to 100,000. Just crank that up really high and dragons should become more common. Then again, so will rocs, hydra, and bronze colossi. Though it should be a roughly even population distribution amongst them.

Also, you will have to give dragons a [CHILD:X] token in their raws, where the X is the number of years it takes for them to mature. Otherwise, they will not be able to breed.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 06:05:12 am »

While trying to breed bears, I noticed how slowly it went. I'm pretty sure breeding dragons would be very boring to be honest...
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 10:11:05 am »

which is why in my succession fort i set it so they become mature in 3 years