Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Council of the Mountainhomes: The Outpost Liason shall arrive at Bowelpillars in the Late Autumn. What shall we ask of Bowelpillars in the next year?

Build a proper above-ground house(s) upon the Mountain!
- 2 (25%)
Sell Sunshine to the Mountainhomes! (specify quantity in thread)
- 0 (0%)
Begin training siege engineers and operators!
- 4 (50%)
I have another suggestion.... I think it is a better idea! (specify in thread)
- 1 (12.5%)
All of the above!
- 1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Outpost Bowelpillars: Strike the Volcano! (Experimental Game)  (Read 5479 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Outpost Bowelpillars: Strike the Volcano! (Experimental Game)
« on: September 07, 2013, 02:30:20 pm »

Greetings fellow dwarves! This is an attempt at an experimental, perhaps hybrid community or succession game. It currently has no title, as the fortress has not been established yet.

Expect this page to be updated. The format may change.

I've finally found an embark. I can't tell you how difficult this is to do. It runs at about 130-200 FPS on embark, so I assume that will work for a while. It should be a 5x5.

Quotes
1st of Limestone, 301

OH BOYS IT'S BEEN OVER A YEAR ALREADY SINCE WE ARRIVED <3
So yeah, I've been really fuckin' busy since Lava wants me to help with the construction of the fortress by making tables and chairs. I don't know why the hell he's not having me build any fuckin' doors since I don't want people to see me with my pants down when I'm sitting on the pot. I'm not the kind of dwarf who sees someone walk by while I'm taking a shit and says, "Hello," before proceeding to wipe himself with his own beard. No, rather I wonder why the fuck I didn't realize there wasn't a god damn door all while I start to shit faster and faster before I go into Maximum QuantumShit mode. sweet fucking armok i need sleep

Prologue: The Destined Planets

Three hundred years have passed in the current era of The Destined Planets. The majority of the known world is The Continent of Harvesting, which is home to the 31 dwarven civilizations. There are but two other uninhabited lands separated by ocean. The southern border of the known world lies along ice-covered planes, while the northern border lies along scorching planes. The east and west regions are believed to be coastlines, but nobody goes that far [READ: The game hasn't genned those regions]. There are numerous inland seas within the Continent of Harvesting, some with their own islands. There is one known necromancer tower in the south.

The Dangerous Salve, ruled by the wise king Etur Filledlanterns since the year 207, has established a great kingdom upon The Point of Tunneling, with highways connecting their five greatest mountain halls. The Persuasive Way leads across the swamps, forests, and planes to The Disemboweled Beak, ruled over by The Door of Alliances.

The known world is vast and the growth of civilisation has still left many areas uninhabited. Every now and then, a hunter travels into the wilds or into the depths of the world to tame the beasts and fight the titans, and a dwarven expedition sets out for a new location to establish a new fortress or city or mine.

The King, Etur Filledlanterns has decided it is time for a new expedition to be sent forth into the world. A total of seven dwarves are picked, a mix of skilled dwarves and undesirables the Mountainhomes would better do without, supplies are arranged, and finally the wagon(s) are sent out into the world to (hopefully) reach their destination.

These are the Mountain Halls of The Dangerous Salve within The Point of Tunneling

Part I: The King Orders an Expedition

The Grand Wazir tipped his -green glass opium pipe- into the +<<+platinum ashtray+>>+ on his -marble desk-, and sank backward into the -orthoclase throne-, resting his feet upon the back of the chained elf maiden (whoops, I meant prisoner). Rattles and bangs echoed throughout the hallways as the furniture was moved and stone was removed, for the noble quarters were undergoing new expansion. Curses erupted as the *highwood door* banged open and fell of its hinges, as two dwarves wheeled in a ≡gold statue of èrith Hamegirders≡, precariously balanced upon an -oaken wheelbarrow-, followed by a ☼maple grand piano☼ pushed by a third dwarf, in turn pushed by a <<fungiwood wheelbarrow>> which contained a stack of bins full of paper, pushed by a fourth. Perched upon the piano was a short but ballooning smooth-skinned dwarf wearing a ≡giant cave spider silk cloak≡, dyed green with emerald dye brought from the surface. As the relatively tiny portal gave way to the expanse of the office, the piano was pushed aside, while statue was wheeled straight ahead. The smooth-skinned dwarf's cloak was caught on the turn by the statue's spear, and dragged fast down across the half-smoothed floor before being lifted aloft and thrown upon the Wazir's desk. The furniture arranged, the haulers exited the room and slammed the door shut.

The green-cloaked dwarf rolled sideways off the desk and produced a letter. "A-apologies for the intrusion your honour. I am Udib Syruplantern. The king h-hath asked me to give this t-to you. He placed the letter on the desk and exited the room hurriedly, tripping over the uneven floor on the way out."

Official Summons to the Council on Expeditions and Settlements

By order of His Majesty Etur Filledlanterns, the Council of the Mountainhomes is summoned forth on this 1st Sandstone of the year 300, in the 97th year of his reign, for review of expeditions and settlements.

The letter ends with the king's seal

Alright, I'm posting up the possible embarks, which are placed before the council. Unchosen embarks may be picked for a different expedition.

Embark 1: The Forest of Creations by The Weathered Walls

Scouts report this area of tropical forest, mountain range, and shrubland is warm and home to much interesting wildlife, such as thrips men and sparrow men. Limestone covers the region and a brook flows out of the ground. Interesting wildlife calls include a noise like a raspberry being blown through a no-quality badly-made trumpet, which appears to travel for many miles. The vegetation includes bamboo, which is edible by a species of animal known as the panda. There is both sand and sandy clay available.

Embark 2: Upon The Point of Scouring by The Ambiguous Furnaces

This area contains a volcano and tall mountains, and is nearby the road between our kingdom of The Dangerous Salve, and The Door of Alliances in The Disemboweled Beak. There is a desert of white sand to the northeast which appears to contain an aquifer and limestone, and there are badlands to the southeast. Both the mountain range and badlands contain igneous extrusive rocks. It may be possible to extend the fortress to the brook source, but that could prove very difficult. The expedition spotted some gigantic birds in the skies, and during the nights alcohol went missing. In anticipation of an embark, they put up some wooden signposts but those were torn down by someone or something.

Embark 3: Astride The Brass Wall

This embark straddles a mountain range over a volcano, and is easily accessible from our Mountain Halls by following The Persuasive Way towards The Door of Alliances in The Disemboweled Beak, and taking a boat or otherwise following one of the tributaries to the river Bearwalked, which feeds into the major river known as The Scaly Eyes. There is a pass between The Suicidal Barb and The Brass Walls through The Infamous Forest from the South. The settlers should be able to cross The Brass Walls to the location. The amount of work involves driving the wagon down a civilised road, following a tributary downstream, and making sure the boat doesn't overshoot the target, and then crossing a calm Mountain range without falling into a volcano or being scared by the shifty one nearby.

There is very little wildlife, although the forest to the north is quite serene. Sightings of the noble unicorns are unconfirmed, but the department of magizoology thinks the conditions are right. The northern serene forest is temperate and may freeze in winter, but water in the mountains and in the southern forest will probably not freeze.

The mountain range contains volcanic stone, but the forest has limestone. There are aquifers present.

Embark 4: Upon the Virginal Blaze

Oversized image below.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Virginal Blaze is a volcanic vent between the serene tropical shrubland of The Azure Hills and tropical moist broadleafe forest known as The Vermilion Jungles. The Vermilion Jungles lie upon the large hill of volcanic rocks, while the Azure Hills are made up of limestone. The hill does not qualify as a mountain biome, but for all intents and purposes it is a mountain covered by trees.

There are unicorns in the area. The same kind of trumpeting calls are heard in the jungle as in The Forest of Creations, but less frequently.

In the far east of the suggested fortress settlement is a brook, which shall supply fish and molluscs. There is aquifer present.

The site is less accessible to our civilisation than the first suggestions, as it involves following The Scaley Eyes to its source upriver through dangerous areas, and then travelling north-east. There are many opportunities to get lost.

Human cities are located nearby.

The Selection

The council chamber was abuzz with the rustling of papers and the claps of rock against rock, broken by the occasional belch. Numerous seats served as supports for barrels of ale and wine, as their dwarven occupants never showed up. But three formal votes had been cast, one by the king. The representative of House Ferite pointed towards a thin red line across the upper portion of the map.

"This here is a dividing line. To the north lie tropical jungles, occupied by strange beasts we have little familiarity with or access to. The only choice among the few given to us by the expeditions are The Weathered Walls. We need to bring back a sample of the creatures making these trumpeting... noises. They could prove useful to us." She closed her case.

The metalsmith's guild representative stood up next. "We have a clear choice. We want to establish a fortress with access to resources, which are running precious thin in these Mountain Halls. Two of the sites given to us have volcanoes, the Weathered Walls do not. While The Weathered Walls clearly hold the greater amount of limestone and magnetite, the volcanic lands have the more hematite. Between a land with coal and a land with trees, I pick the volcanic land with trees, which leaves us with The Brass Wall as the only option of those given to us. I will request an expansion of the location to yield us more limestone, but those lands do not cover the tropical regions. If we desire animals, we can source them from the humans and the elves, and we have many ways to do that, not least through the force of arms.

"The military orders of the axe, crossbow, hammer, mace, spear, and sword have come to agreement that The Brass Wall is the best choice of the three, as it provides ample resources and is defensible. However, it is remote. It is a mountain range at the edge of the known world. It is a well-secluded location, for a military invasion will have difficulty crossing from the South because of the river, and few would consider crossing the sinister mountains that adjoin it. It would take about two years for the goblins to start sending significant threats, and more for them to launch full-scale sieges. The dark fortresses of Plaguebloat, Saphorrors, and Newtscourges are a long way away, and they are at the doorstep of The Arrow of Prison, who have conquered Floodedmalaigned. It will be but a point of export of weaponry and metal, and not a great military fortification for fighting prowess. For these reasons, we abstain from voting until a better choice is found." The representative of order of the Axe sat down and resumed drinking.

The king Etur Filledlanterns emerged from a side office, and hung up another map on the wall. "This here is a fourth location, for your consideration. I have elected to request more sites from the geographical and geological expeditions. The future of our kingdom's expansion will be in part decided by those gathered here here."

The room had fallen silent.

Note: We're probably going to The Brass Wall. If you think elephants are important though, please post about it. It will take some time to set up the expedition.

POLL THUS FAR

The hum died down. "It is decided. We will send the embark to The Brass Walls, where they shall establish a new fortress for the glory of our dwarven civilization, and for future prosperity. We shall reconvene regarding the next expedition after their departure." the king announced.

As to the participants involved, he continued, "the expedition itself shall be lead by Lava Doublebraids, the Comedian of Steel. This has been decided in advance. It is now time to find the other six appropriate individuals for the journey. Dismissed!".

General Information: Rules, Dwarfing, Turns, etc.

General Rules

1) Fixdiplomats will be run.

2) To simulate the fortress remaining undiscovered, invaders will be turned off for about the first two years, give or take.

3) For extra !!FUN!!, dwarf mode contaminant spread will be switched on  8). It will be switched OFF if it causes severe problems.

4) If an oversize embark is picked, and FPS drops too fast, we may restart.

Dwarfing Rules

To claim one of the starting dwarves (there are 6):

1) List the name you want to be dwarfed with.
2) Provide a preference for profession. For now this is Mason, Carpenter, Craftsdwarf, Farmer, Miner. I can try to provide an alternative though.
3) The reason you are going on the expedition i.e. adventure, opportunity, was exiled (mention why).
4) [UNTIL EMBARK ONLY] You may assign 100 points of goods to the expedition, subject to approval. Unused points go back into the pool. This means if there is a rush to grab dwarves there will be up to about 600 points of equipment picked by players. There are a total of 2232 embark points, so I might allow a bit of overrun.
5) You may elect to carry out an action that is frowned upon before leaving the Mountainhomes. [UNTIL EMBARK ONLY] You may elect to embezzle items, which means they will be brought in the wagon with the caravan both outside of what would normally be approved. This will not effect the number of points of goods you may assign to the expedition. There will be consequences for any of these actions in terms of missions and the like.

RECOMMENDATION: Deal with 1) and 2) and then post. You can then edit to fill out 4) quickly, and then work on your epic character autobiography.

Summary of Embark Point Costs:
Wood logs: 3 points per log (you have access to fungiwood, tower-cap, oak, maple, willow, chestnut, alder, birch, ash, pine, cedar, larch, saguaro rib, and highwood)
Drinks: 2 points per unit. (Dwarven beer, rum, ale, and wine)
Seeds: 1 point per seed. (Any underground seeds)
Fish: 2 points per unit. Civilisation has access to river fish.
Meat: 2 points per unit for basic meat.
Milk: 1 point per unit.
Stone: 3 points per boulder. Can be magma-safe.
Flux: 6 points per boulder.
Bituminous Coal: 3 points per unit. Produces 9 units of coke when turned into fuel.
Plump Helmets: 4 points per unit.
Sand: 1 point per unit.

Starting Seven Claimed:

CaptainArchmage - Lava Doublebraids (Armorsmith) (Likely Armoursmith or Mechanic)
UristMc Dwarf - Urist, Corpse-miner (Miner)
BlackMuffin - Muffin NoBeard (Mason)
Karkov - Karkov (Smith)

As of this point (four dwarves picked), we'll probably take on a carpenter/farmer and two more miners.

Community Game Rules:

1) These rules may change at any time.

2) You may pick a dwarf. I'll try to dwarf you according to your profession and gender preference. As with other community games, you are encouraged to post reports from the perspective of your dwarf. There will be special rules for claiming one of the starting seven.

3) When the fortress gets big enough, I want to have certain positions that can go up for election (there may be minimum requirements). These will include some of the 23a nobles (i.e. Guildmasters). Election will be carried out by Bay12 voting, to represent the decision-making of the Mountainhome. If this turns out very badly or there is a lot of opposition, I may pick an alternative means of selection.

4) The noble positions as selected in the (n)obles screen are not, without very good reason, going to be selected by Bay12 voting, with the exception of the mayor. As it is possible to replace the mayor, I can run an election for that particular position, but I would rather have the dwarves vote for this position.

Succession Game Rules:

1) These rules apply ONLY if I take this up as a succession game. Rules may be subject to update at any time. For now it is NOT a succession game.

2) When running a game as a succession, the latest version of the game will be used, unless there is a break in version compatibility.

3) If the game is made into a succession, sign ups will be made available, usually on a first come first served basis.

4) Turns will last five days of real life or until 1st Granite of the next year, whichever comes first. It will be possible to get a two day extension to increase playing time to 1 week. Players should confirm within 24-48 hours whether they are able to take their turn. Saves should be uploaded to DFFD. If you are unable to use DFFD, however, you may use another file hosting system, but the file should be transferred over to DFFD as soon as possible.

5) Try not to destroy the fortress whilst playing the game. If the fortress ends up in an unplayable state, it will be permissible to revert to a previous save.

6) DFHack is acceptable within reason. I want to see what people do with it.

7) There will be Victory Conditions, and Missions. When (enough of) the victory conditions are met, the turn, succession, and community game ends and the current player should upload the fortress. Players still waiting for a turn may carry over to a future succession game.

Missions are shorter-term goals for the fortress. They are usually set by the Mountainhomes, or by dwarves present in the fortress. The ends can be useful in themselves (i.e. build a watchtower). Consider these to be guidelines.

8) If the fortress falls, and it is an appropriate place for the fortress to fall, there will either be a reclaim, a revert, or the entire game will end.

9) When taking your turn, if you are not dwarf'd already, you should dwarf yourself as soon as possible. Your dwarfing takes #1 priority.

10) During your turn, please try to respect the community game features within reason. This means dwarfing people, and ensuring the dwarves not claimed by any player have appropriate names, titles, job descriptions and are scheming enough.

Missions

Establish a fortress.

Sell at least ten examples of the craftsdwarfship of Bowelpillars to the autumn caravan in 301. If the caravan cannot carry that many items, the largest number possible will be acceptable.

Victory Conditions

[CLASSIFIED_INFORMATION]

Dwarves Claimed

"Lava Doublebraids" Ostaråblel, Comedian of Steel (armorsmith)
"Urist the Soon-to-be" Umarrimtar, Corpse-Miner (miner and military)
"Muffin NoBeard" Tosidmörul, manager (also head mason and architect)
"Karkov" Stinthädimush, Militia Commander (and weaponsmith)
"Wendy" Degëllîlar, Chief Medical Dwarf (and bowyer)

Unclaimed Dwarves

Tobul Akrulód, Miner (and military), Starting Seven
Udil Kilrudemgash, Planter (and mechanic), Starting Seven

Kol Shellssabers, Male Ranger (and animal caretaker, tapper, dissector, and trapper), arrived 17th Hematite 301.
Thob Fatedarches, Female Weaver (is also a fisheryworker), arrived 17th Hematite 301.
Litast Deerlance, Female Great Weaponsmith (also a great negotiator, expert persuader, expert flatterer, and has some adequate medical skills), arrived 17th Hematite 301.
Tulon Ownerroughness, Male Weaponsmith (also novice woodworking everything), arrived 17th Hematite 301.
Cog Guildrhyming, Female Speardwarf and tracker (otherwise peasant), arrived 17th Hematite 301.
Onget Hourpalace, Dwarven Child, arrived 17th Hematite 301.

Turn List

This will be used if Bowelpillars becomes a succession game.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:06:23 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Community/Succession Game
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 02:30:50 pm »

Post reserved.

I'm done reserving posts now.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 07:42:25 pm »

Urist the Soon to be corpse-Miner
12 logs(any type)
20 drink(5 each type)
1 cow, 1 horse,etc and 1 of 3 other animals
14 seeds( all types but dimple cups and quarry bushes)
My character got fired so he decided to change his location and his luck.
I'm going to steal 2 war dogs, one of each gender and 2 horses one of each gender, in an empty wagon filled with stolen bauxtite.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 07:30:35 pm »

Urist the Soon to be corpse-Miner
12 logs(any type)
20 drink(5 each type)
1 cow, 1 horse,etc and 1 of 3 other animals
14 seeds( all types but dimple cups and quarry bushes)
My character got fired so he decided to change his location and his luck.
I'm going to steal 2 war dogs, one of each gender and 2 horses one of each gender, in an empty wagon filled with stolen bauxtite.

Alright, you're the only one who has posted so far. The non-stolen requisitioned goods you specified make up to about 100 points, and the non-stolen borrowed animals come up to about 270 points. The cow is 151 points, the horse is 101 points, and I've added in three geese or so at 6 points each. This comes up to about 370 points, which blows the limit considerably. However, you are the only one to request a starting seven dwarf or any dwarf so far. I can make it so the animals are purchased anyway after a good pitch.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 07:56:21 pm »

My body is ready.

My name is Muffin NoBeard and I elect to be the (preferrably male) dwarf in charge of Masonry within the new fortress.
Ever since I was a young dwarf, I was frowned upon for my lack of beard. My facial hair took much longer to grow out than all the other young dwarves, and therefore I was frequently laughed at during my younger years. With time, the ridicule turned to outright scorn as I was expelled from the mountainhall of my birth, despised by both peerage and family alike (dwarf society is cruel to beardless members of their own kind). With nothing but my food, booze, and rock collection, I set out to find a new home among the dwarves which would accept me despite my lack of facial hair.The first time I came in contact with other dwarves was fifteen years after my exile. As I was walking with my last small amounts of food and booze, I came across a wagon that was just about to depart for a new fortress. Ah! It was finally time for me to start my life all over again! I quickly placed my things within the wagon, settled in with the six other dwarves that were departing, and prepared myself for a new life. Giddy to start putting my masonry skills to use, the wagon departs and I follow closely as we set off to a new home.

I come along with nothing but my booze (15 units of Dwarven beer and 15 units of Dwarven rum), some meat (5 units of wombat meat), and my stones (10 boulders of Jet). [this meets the required 100 points exactly <3]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 05:11:46 pm by BlackMuffin »
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:06:21 pm »

My body is ready.

My name is Muffin NoBeard and I elect to be the (preferrably male) dwarf in charge of Masonry within the new fortress.
Ever since I was a young dwarf, I was frowned upon for my lack of beard. My facial hair took much longer to grow out than all the other young dwarves, and therefore I was frequently laughed at during my younger years. With time, the ridicule turned to outright scorn as I was expelled from the mountainhall of my birth, despised by both peerage and family alike (dwarf society is cruel to beardless members of their own kind). With nothing but my food, booze, and rock collection, I set out to find a new home among the dwarves which would accept me despite my lack of facial hair. With time, however, my beard began to grow out, and by the time I had any contact with any other dwarves I boasted a full beard rightfully owned by any dwarf. The first time I came in contact with other dwarves was fifteen years after my exile. As I was walking with my last small amounts of food and booze, I came across a wagon that was just about to depart for a new fortress. Ah! It was finally time for me to start my life all over again! I quickly placed my things within the wagon, settled in with the six other dwarves that were departing, and prepared myself for a new life. Giddy to start putting my masonry skills to use, the wagon departs and I follow closely as we set off to a new home.

I come along with nothing but my booze (15 units of Dwarven beer and 15 units of Dwarven rum), some meat (5 units of wombat meat), and my stones (10 boulders of Jet). [this meets the required 100 points exactly <3]

I've added you to the list! While there is jet available on embark, there is no wombat meat.

Edit: The Point of Tunnelling, where the Dangerous Salve has their Mountain Halls, is in a temperate region. There is kangaroo and dingo meat available though, but no wombat meat.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:21:01 pm by CaptainArchmage »

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 03:09:52 pm »

Dingo meat, then. Same nutritious value, really.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 04:37:27 pm »

We can take on four more dwarves. No takers? If not I will leave it open and get to the embarking.

These are the poll results at the time of closure:

There is a new poll up for your viewing pleasure.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:45:17 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 07:34:22 pm »

Just to remind people you still have time to get one of the 4 remaining dwarves on the expedition!

I found a good embark spot, but I feel like putting a few more beforehand. When I have them, I will close the poll and open a new one where you shall help the king decide which suicidal great location the dwarves shall colonise.

EDIT:

POLL AS OF CLOSING

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:28:16 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Community/Succession Game: GET YOUR STARTING DWARVES NOW!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 10:51:45 pm »

Ah hell, I'll go ahead and join you guys.

Name: Karkov (Male)
Profession:  Weapon smith.  Or just a smith in general, that's up to your discretion.
Reason:  He's a dwarf bent on making everything as efficient as possible.  The bureaucratic tendencies of the Mountain Homes have been hampering his dreams and hobbies, sending him into a rage.  Seeing this chance to get away from the dwarfs that wield paper, instead of real weapons, he jumped on the wagon with reckless abandon.

Possessions:  To get him started as a smith, you can allot all of my points into the anvil.  If we're starting with a default anvil anyway, give him an axe.  He can be used in the militia if no one else volunteers for the job.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Community/Succession Game: GET YOUR STARTING DWARVES NOW!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 11:53:02 pm »

Ah hell, I'll go ahead and join you guys.

Name: Karkov (Male)
Profession:  Weapon smith.  Or just a smith in general, that's up to your discretion.
Reason:  He's a dwarf bent on making everything as efficient as possible.  The bureaucratic tendencies of the Mountain Homes have been hampering his dreams and hobbies, sending him into a rage.  Seeing this chance to get away from the dwarfs that wield paper, instead of real weapons, he jumped on the wagon with reckless abandon.

Possessions:  To get him started as a smith, you can allot all of my points into the anvil.  If we're starting with a default anvil anyway, give him an axe.  He can be used in the militia if no one else volunteers for the job.

There's a default anvil, so we don't have to wait for the caravan, in the normal list of items. ALL the locations on the list so far besides "pick another location" have a good supply of wood and probably coal, limestone, and iron ore, and in two out of the three specific locations there are volcanoes present, so it is possible to forge an axe on embark, and this will be a far better axe than one purchased on embark.

The one embark we have a vote for is a 3x7 embark, which is a bit smaller than a 5x5.

I've noticed that the rivers in this world tend to be very low in elevation, and this means even mountains crossed by rivers can end up lower than the surrounding forest. This isn't so much the case in the embarks I have picked.

I've also decided if they appear on the chart here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/23a:Noble
the extra "nobles" will appear about the right time. They're not modded in unless I can hack them in using DFhack, but if we get enough miners, for example, we will have a Miner's guild representative assigned (using the profession system).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 11:55:48 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Community/Succession Game: GET A DWARF NOW! EMBARK VOTING OPEN!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 02:02:05 am »

There's a default anvil, so we don't have to wait for the caravan, in the normal list of items.

Alright, since the anvil and axe is apparently taken care of, you can assort the points into fuel and flux to keep him in business before we get magma forges up.

The guilds and the nobles sound like it'll be an interesting concept to this fort, I'm for it, as long as it doesn't get in the way of efficiency.  Heh, I'm pretty sure my dwarf would throw a tantrum if the pencil pushers followed him from the Mountain Home.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Community/Succession Game: GET A DWARF NOW! EMBARK VOTING OPEN!
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 01:48:41 pm »

There's a default anvil, so we don't have to wait for the caravan, in the normal list of items.

Alright, since the anvil and axe is apparently taken care of, you can assort the points into fuel and flux to keep him in business before we get magma forges up.

The guilds and the nobles sound like it'll be an interesting concept to this fort, I'm for it, as long as it doesn't get in the way of efficiency.  Heh, I'm pretty sure my dwarf would throw a tantrum if the pencil pushers followed him from the Mountain Home.

I've put up a 4th embark choice to solve indecision. Unless we get more votes, it is likely The Brass Wall will get to go. The Limestone (preliminary prospecting) seems to be in the top corner of the map, so there isn't really that much of it. The good news is the 3x7 still runs at 200 FPS on embark, after the fluids stabilise.

Last chance to get your starting dwarves and influence the supplies!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bowelpillars: Experimental Community/Succession Game
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 09:02:13 pm »

Here's what the RNG gave me after a few hits:

1st Granite, 301

A wagon ground to a halt by the cliff face, a flat face of rhyolite rising about ten stories before tapering off to the caldera's edge forty levels above the ground. It looked like a boat with a canopy and wheels attached, piled with assorted stone, sacks, and barrels. It was drawn by two gigantic water buffalo bulls, with three horses and a cow trailing behind. Six dogs lept out of the wagon, wagging their tails, followed by six dwarves. The seventh dwarf, with double-braided moustache and beard, climbed to the top of a haphazard pile of bauxite, coal, and jet, and kicked down the wagon wall from where he sat.

"Friends, dwarves, some animals, and no wildlife. We of The Twinkling Manor are gathered today, here where we arrived. I think... we all know that. We are gathered here today to

ESTABLISH A GREAT FORTRESS.
A FORTRESS THAT SHALL SHAKE THE VERY WORLD!
A FORTRESS ON THE VERY EDGE OF THAT WORLD!
WE'LL ROCK THAT BOAT FOR THE GLORY OF THE GREATEST CIVILIZATION!
WE'LL ROCK THIS MOUNTAIN IN THE NAME OF OUR GLORIOUS KING,
OUR KING ETUR FILLED LANTERNS!
HERE BEGINS A NEW CHAPTER IN OUR HISTORY!

The dwarf rumaged inside his coat, producing a massive letter, within a gilded envelope.

THIS FORTRESS HATH A NAME,
A NAME CHOSEN BY THE COLLECTIVE EFFORTS OF THE MOUNTAINHOME,
A NAME CHOSEN BY THE SWEAT AND BLOOD OF OUR GREATEST WRITERS,
A NAME THAT SHALL RESOUND THROUGHOUT HISTORY WITH SONGS OF PRAISE.
A NAME, THE NAME OF OUR FORTRESS, WHICH IS-

He ripped open the envelope and unfolded the letter

BOWELPILLARS!

Community game stuff: Dwarfed players are invited to present their reactions at this point!

"Our mission, for now, is to establish ourselves a fortress. Further objectives will be brought with the summer migration."
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:07:32 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bowelpillars: Experimental Community/Succession Game
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 12:51:33 am »

OOC:  I feel like we're the only ones here for now, I'll just go ahead and post my piece I guess.

Journal of Karkov, the lettering is precise and neat:

"Today, we finally laid eyes on the site that had been spotted out by those lackeys of the king.  Have to say, wasn't expecting to find such a nice area to settle into; I had been expecting a glacier that reeked of evil or some shit, instead we get a land where you can see the ore jutting out of the mountain.  I can't wait to get my forge set up and my hands on some of that raw metal.  I always dreamed of a day without those idiots at the Mountain couldn't tell me what to do with their precious metals, and here it is!

My companions in this venture seem to be pretty stern, if slightly shady, stuff.  There's the blow-hard who tried to make a show of us settlin' down, but I think he'll find out we're far enough away from that King o' ours and that there's real work to be done. 

There's that fella without the beard, a mighty unsettlin' sight that, but I can get past it.  He seems to know his way around the stones, how to shape 'em and such, and I think that'll bode well to his place within the soon-to-be fort. 

Ah, yes.  That Urist fella.  Seems to me he has a little more than what those bumblin' fools at the Mountain would've given freely...  Hah, how marvelous.  More power to him if he can nab a couple o' extra supplies from under the noses of those bean counters.  Shows resourcefulness, that.  I've seen him look at those picks in the cart with a bit o' familiarity, could be that he's a miner.  Well the faster he gets that ore out of that hill, the faster I can get to work with my forge.  I think we're going to be real close friends soon...

The rest of this rabble doesn't stand out too much, a few that look like they're going to be carrying some rocks, and one that seems to have dirt stained into his hands, must be a farmer.  Couldn't be bothered too much with them, they didn't try to strike up conversation, and mainly kept to themselves.

Seems like the first thing I need to do is set up my forge and make a couple of weapons, looks like we're in dire need of a dwarf with a fondness for swinging an axe.  First impression o' this place are solid, and the crew is solid.  I think I'll enjoy at least a bit o' my time here."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4