Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Gen  (Read 759 times)

SquireSamson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
World Gen
« on: March 03, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

What the hell? Why is it so difficult to find magma, water, flux and soil in one map? Any other map is practically unplayable. Ya'll seem to have figured it out. I just can't stand sitting around searching my generated worlds for the one specific site I need.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »

First of all, you don't need magma, water, flux and soil all in one map. Soil is useful, but only required if you don't have water (which can make mud for farming), or for making workshops without excess stone. Likewise, water is unimportant if you have some soil, or even some sand, since dwarves drink booze and farm in anything but bare bedrock. I rarely get a fortress with both iron and flux (you forgot iron in your list, by the way), but steel is usually more trouble than it's worth. Iron is still fine for equipment, and it doesn't require 4 steps, flux, coal/charcoal, and iron to make.

Only thing I consider to be essential is magma, or else a really, really, really large number of trees, or else you're going to be rendered incapable of smelting and forging all those tasty metals you dig up.

That said, if you desperately want a little of everything (or a lot of everything!), then take a look at the Wiki, under pregenerated worlds. You'll be able to find some seeds and directions to locations that are near-ideal.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Thexor:
<STRONG>water is unimportant</STRONG>

only if you're ok with all wounds being fatal.

If you want all the features, look up on the wiki.  There's also regional prospector or whatever it's called.  The game is perfectly playable while missing some features; I've never hit any HFS except for one map with a minotaur, but I still find it fun.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

I don't understand what the big deal is about feature loaded sites. My current site has a brook, an underground river and limestone. No lava, and basically no trees, so I just trade for coal and wood.

I think water is by far the most useful feature, as benoit said; you need it for wounded dwarves and it makes farming easier. Hidden Fun Stuff is hardly vital (but rather just that; hidden and fun.)

Limestone mountains are great, by the way. =)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 11:06:00 pm »

As long as I have flux and iron and water, I can do anything!

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 12:53:00 am »

I have to agree, I found the game alot more fun when I started out and hadn't heard about the joys of magma. for awhile I was spending all my time fussing over the perfect site.
Then I just stopped caring and I've been making forts where-ever looks cool. It is pretty much impossible to have *everything*, and it can be allot of fun playing in a terrifying wood, or on a coast, or the middle of a hippo-infested river.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

I like spots with easy sand and magma.  The thought of building anything and everything out of green glass just tickles me to bits.  That, and green glass towers are naturally awesome.

But I must say, evil woods are definitely cool places to be.  Mainly becuase of how phantom spider webs look when they're in those patches out in the forest, but even without that they're still pretty nice.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 01:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Thexor:
<STRONG>I rarely get a fortress with both iron and flux</STRONG>

Layers of DOLOMITE usually cause this issue to go away.

Note: Not marble, silly me.

[ March 04, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 01:37:00 am »

Water is my only requirement; I *like* having aquifer layers.

Sand is nice, too.

Otherwise, absolutely anything goes; what I can't get locally I trade for.

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 02:19:00 am »

Getting magma and flux is hard, since magma shows up almost exclusively in igneous... extrusive? rock layers, while most of the fluxes are sedimentary. So you need two intersecting biomes for that.