Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Above-Ground Farms?  (Read 597 times)

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Above-Ground Farms?
« on: September 07, 2013, 12:30:12 am »

Hey, I was wondering how I could make an above ground farm. I've not got a lot of soil and I just need to know if there's a way to put water onto the ground to make mud? Thanks in advance.
¤MASTERWORK¤ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Above-Ground Farms?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 12:40:11 am »

You could channel out an area and have the space above it set as a pond zone. Dwarves will then attempt to fill the pond, muddying the ground below.

Or you could build some form of scaffolding above the area you want to use for farming if you don't want to channel.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 02:29:59 am »

The dirt below the surface layer is homogeneous and farmable regardless of how many tiles of boulders, pebbles, or "bare rock" show up there.  Just channel out a sunken garden and you'll have smooth farmable land to grow more prickleberries and rope reeds than you'll know what to do with.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 04:31:26 am »

Just to mention it: if you have soil, you don't need to add water, you can build your farm plots directly on the 'dry' ground, no matter what the build menu dialogue says.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 11:38:02 am »

I'm pretty sure he realizes that, as he mentions that there just isn't much soil.

On tat point, iirc, mountain biomes don't support above ground farming, just in case that is an issue here
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 02:26:08 pm »

You can construct a stair and a series of 1-tile floor strips. Then you can designate the gaps between the floors as ponds that will have water dumped into them.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 04:01:36 pm »

You can construct a stair and a series of 1-tile floor strips. Then you can designate the gaps between the floors as ponds that will have water dumped into them.

Or building bridges instead of floor strips may be faster/easier (at least to take down after, if you want to recycle the building mats for something else).

Or you can just build a pump pumping out of a stream/pond to flood a random blob of an area on the outflow-side of the pump. The dwarf will stop pumping in just a few seconds once the pumper-tile of the pump gets water flowing back to it, but should be enough for plenty of farming space (since it's so bountiful by default). Might also wash the dwarf into the river/murky pool, unless you take precautions (grates or down stairs along the water's edge are probably best/easiest) against this. I've mainly used this method to empty moats if/when my moat drains didn't work correctly on first install.