Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fine tuning stock piles & What to clothe civilians in  (Read 654 times)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fine tuning stock piles & What to clothe civilians in
« on: September 06, 2013, 12:48:43 pm »

If I select "unusable" in a stockpile that accepts clothes, will it take all of those clothes that the dwarfs have been complaining about? 

Corollary:
what is a good base batch of clothing to make?  I can't see making everything.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fine tuning stock piles & What to clothe civilians in
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 03:12:53 pm »

My understanding is you cant filter for "XX"'d/damaged clothing at a stockpile.

The minimum coverage with clothes is footwear bodywear and legwear, so for me, leather shoes, plant fibre shirt and trousers (pig tail or rope reed).

If you only ever make these items eventually all your dwarves wil have their other items, gloves, hoods cloaks etc "rot off" and not get replaced due to there being no replacements. They will get a bad thought from "wearing worn clothes" or having "clothes rot away" but once they are gone that bad thought will not return, and the shoe/shirt/trouser will suffice for their needs.

Immigrants do tend to arrive wearing extra items than shoe/shirt/trouser, again hoods/cloaks/gloves.

I usually dont need to make clothes for a few years in a new fort, then I chuck out batches of 10 shoes/shirt/trouser when I start to notice clothes being dropped around the fort. I might then take a look at my dwarves inventories (u for units, then c to zoom on a unit then i to see inventory) and see if everyone needs new clothes or just the longest serving dwarves. After that I just tend to keep 40-100 "full clothing sets" depending on how many dwarves I have in the fort. Clothes equipping is far from ideal, there are many quirks, and tbh its a bit of a ball ache but then, maybe everything shouldnt be so easy.

I read that dwarves try/tend to "collect 2 sets of clothing.

Cabinets in bedrooms help with clothing not being left everywhere but also sort of hide those first damaged clothing "appearing" on the floor of your fort.

Hope some of that is helpful

Good luck

EDIT

in my current fort ive just about gotten everyone wearing steel armour. This does not wear out like clothes and does provide "coverage" preventing unhappy thoughts from lack of clothes.

The military equipping can be fiddly also.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:14:27 pm by sirdvae79 »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 03:37:05 pm »

on clothing:
picking up items covered in poisonous blood or deadly dust with bare hands may not be a good survivalist move. Similarly, walking barefoot through such stuff can be considered unwise as well, plus dwarfs become unhappy without. Dwarfs complain when they don't have trousers or shirts, or a similar covering for upper body and one for lower body. Lastly even the smallest thing covering the head may be good to prevent some small accidents such as a seed thrown during a tantrum killing someone.

summary:
something on the feet, upper body and lower body is required for happiness. Hands and head are optional extras
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 04:09:28 pm »

does "dress" count as just upper on female?  Are females going to fuss over shirt and trousers?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 06:25:14 pm »

does "dress" count as just upper on female?  Are females going to fuss over shirt and trousers?

While dresses and robes do apparently extend to give armor coverage all the way down to the feet, AFAIK dwarves will still get bad thoughts if they're not also wearing trousers underneath (or a skirt/loincloth/thong/braie/any other leg clothing item I missed). And I presume the "being uncovered" thought is the worst of the 3.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 06:07:41 am »

The best way to sort clothing between new/good cloths and the discarded junk is to have 2 stockpiles.  Have the first one set to only take from links and link it to your clothier shop (make sure to give the clothier shop a link to a raw cloth stockpile for its input as well)   for the second stockpile set it to take from everywhere(thats default btw).  now anything new your fortress produces ends up in the first pile and you know its brand new.  Once a dwarf takes an item from that pile it will never go back into it.  the second pile will end up takeing all the other random junk clothing that ends up on the ground weather it be from a siege or just decaying off the dwarves.  You can either just enable the refuse section on this stockpile to decay it away quick or just ship it off with the next caravan. 

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 11:03:57 am »

excellent tip on stockpiles, thanks

I had my best marksdwarf go nutzo with the 'uncovered' and I couldn't figure out what he was missing ... will failure to meet assigned uniform cause an uncovered if otherwise dressed?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 12:39:40 pm »

excellent tip on stockpiles, thanks

I had my best marksdwarf go nutzo with the 'uncovered' and I couldn't figure out what he was missing ... will failure to meet assigned uniform cause an uncovered if otherwise dressed?

No. What was he wearing? Clothing thoughts do last a while before they go away, even if he did get clothes. Just set eg. leather armor, bone greaves and leather high boots for all your marksdwarves: they don't really need much armor, and those are all the clothes they'll *ever* need, since armor doesn't wear.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 09:59:52 am »

well that sounds simple but I thought helms were critical in defense of ranged attacks to the head; and they are definitely critical if a wrestler spars with the marksdwarf and thows him on his head.

I know from experience in other games archers have limitations on armor.  Is there such a limitation built into DF?  it is entirely possible I put him in a squad requiring metal something or other; or even a shield

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 10:05:26 am »

No. What was he wearing? Clothing thoughts do last a while before they go away, even if he did get clothes. Just set eg. leather armor, bone greaves and leather high boots for all your marksdwarves: they don't really need much armor, and those are all the clothes they'll *ever* need, since armor doesn't wear.

Snaake, leather armor wears.  It wears a crapload slower than cloth, but it wears.  The only non-expiring armor/clothing type is metal armor.