Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sunless Sea - Kickstarter!  (Read 1463 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Sunless Sea - Kickstarter!
« on: September 06, 2013, 07:47:26 am »

I'm terrible at first posts, but I was surprised to see that this doesn't have its own thread yet.

Failbetter Games, the guys behind the Fallen London browser game, are making a standalone 2d strategy/rpg/horror/adventure/simulation game called Sunless Sea. I've backed their Kickstarter and upvoted them on Steam Greenlight. Here, I'll let them say it in their own words:

Explore a vast underground ocean in your customised steamship! A PC & Mac game in glorious 2D from the creators of Fallen London.

Trade in silk and souls. Battle sea-beasts, pirates, sentient coral. Explore a map that changes every time you play. Discover islands. Establish staging posts. Win fame as a navigator. Learn the stories of your crew: assist them, seduce them or consume them as you see fit.

Sunless Sea is a game of exploration, survival and loneliness set in the award-winning Victorian Gothic universe of Fallen London. Take the helm of your customised steamship and set sail for the unknown! Light and darkness are your greatest allies, but a stout set of cannon and a gunnery officer with a grudge will come in useful too.

And Sunless Sea is a game of stories; the dark pasts of your crew, the hidden coves of the soul-smugglers, the tentacled nemesis that you chased from Hunter’s Keep to the shores of the Elder Continent.

Your choices will determine the events of every game. Will you return to Fallen London with a hold full of loot or succumb to madness and cannibalism on the black waters? Will you free the colonies of the Carnelian Coast, or keep them in the Empire’s grip? Will you betray your father’s legacy or reclaim it?

You are the captain. It’s your call.

Our influences! ... FTL; Don't Starve; Strange Adventures in Infinite Space; Sid Meier’s Pirates; Taipan; Elite; roguelikes; the Crimson Permanent Assurance; the Irish immrama myths.

We're on Kickstarter! Head over to http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/failbetter/sunless-sea to find out more and help us build this dark and beautiful beast. Or find more about the world of Fallen London here: http://www.fallenlondon.com

They're 57% toward their Kickstarter goal after 3 days, so I'm not too worried about them making the minimum. I'm really looking forward to this one. I love Fallen London and it will be so great to play in that universe without waiting 10 minutes for each turn.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Sunless Sea - Kickstarter!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 07:53:26 am »

I wonder if the name is inspired by Samuel Taylor Coleridge...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 08:28:26 am »

Nice, liked the style of Fallen London, but not the browser game aspect, hopefully this will be good.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 10:12:13 am »

Pleasure dome DLC confirmed?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 11:57:28 am »

Pleasure dome DLC confirmed?

If they did that, they deserve all of my YES.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 01:33:42 pm »

Huh. I'll have to check this out when I get home. It draws inspiration from some games I like, so...might be worth backing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 03:51:51 am »

Watching this. I like what I've seen so far.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 01:23:55 pm »

Seems pretty interesting to me.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation