Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Game programmers and designers enroll here.  (Read 6788 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Game programmers and designers enroll here.
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 06:34:19 am »

Because none of those things are decided yet?

He isn't looking for people to immediately start developing his idea, he's looking for people who would be willing to try their hand at forming a game dev team and after that deciding what game to develop and how, and if they turn out to be a good team then there's potentially some cash in it for them.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 07:30:31 am »

I think OP is pretty obvious: The manager/teamleader/facilitator (facilitator being the most important) is the guy keeping the shit together.

Personally, I'm too old, lack talent and portfolio, and I'm a rockstar princess dev, so I definitely do not fit the profile :) but wish you nevertheless the best of luck.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 07:33:38 am »

I can't art, can't music, can barely English and I'm only a dabbling programmer so I can't really contribute anything. Still I wish you the best of luck, and posting to watch.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 08:29:15 am »

You could always learn a new language.

If /language/ is your primary concern.... your probably not cut out for a game dev team. The language is always "what is the easiest language to use to realize this idea on the platforms we want to target" and in my experience that varies a lot from project to project.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 11:51:22 am »

I have found with college while going for my Developer Associates that what language you use is what an outside force, whether its whats best for the project or something as simple as the guy in charge such as a teacher telling you what to use, is what causes you to program with a language and not what you want. If you want to specialize in a language depending on which you may be able to but the ability to pick whatever one you need quickly is a skill worth having.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 01:03:17 pm »

I believe the intent there, was that if you have difficulty learning new syntax for the same basic logical operations and structures, then programming probably isn't for you.

Personally, I can "Read" almost any structured language. (Almost. Perl and pals are alien dialects intended for alien minds. thankfully, NOBODY writes games in perl. Not unless they are masochists.)

The idea is that the language basically is just the vehicle for the logic, and without understanding and being intimate with the mindset and thinking needed to use logic in that way, being fluent in the language is rather pointless. (To whit, the scores of entry level code monkeys that cant pass the fizzbuzz/fizzbang test.)

Basically, the syntax is perfect, with perfect convention--- but the code is terrible. Looking through some industrial automation scripts, I have seen my fair share of this. One of my co-workers has a string parsing algorithm for taking APT statements from CAM packages, and mangling it into NC code structures. It is painfully slow, because it is inefficient.  I can see that it is inefficient, and why it is inefficient, but despise doing computer programming work, as it causes me acid indigestion. There is nothing wrong with his syntax, but the actual program is poorly devised.  I believe that is what the GP was meaning.

*on topic of the OP*
I suppose I could make myself a small gallery of random artsy bits I have cooked up, but most of them are just silliness, with no intention of being professional, since I approach the art from a non-professional angle.  i think a better way to see what I can actually do when I put the pressure on, would be to give me a small challenge for asset creation, and then see what I make. Judge from that if you want to consider putting me on the rolodex or not. I'd consider that a fair cop. (i've done similar things for my employer, where I have created semi-realistic looking solid representations of our CNC equipment and workcenters, for floor plan restructuring and planning purposes. Try modeling up an entire factory in a week. Been there, done that.)

I'm happy to show you what I can do, but again, I need a well established set of goals and deadlines, with specific and listed items to be made, and when they need to be made by if I am actually going to work in a team structure. Just give me a random list of crap, and I'll see what I can to.

Dalrack

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 01:23:11 pm »

If you want to specialize in a language depending on which you may be able to but the ability to pick whatever one you need quickly is a skill worth having.

This is especially true considering many popular languages share a good portion of the same methodology. Of course, that's assuming you started with java/c (or a likeness). There are those declarative/logical languages like prolog that follow a different subset of rules. However, much of their thinking can still be understood with roots from the standard procedural languages; For instance, thinking of prolog as a huge recursion exercise helped me to grasp it. I do understand that there are many advanced things you can do in each language, but that doesn't make them necessary for applications. Or even useful to know offhand, considering how translatable it would be to any other work you need to do.

Personally, what I consider the most important programming skill is one who can look at the documentation/api of a language/library like javadocs or the dreaded msdn apis, pull what information they need, and get out of there in a timely fashion. With this skill it is much easier to debug (or rewrite) other's code, and quickly add newer features.

Also linear algebra, graph theory, combinatorics, and algorithm analysis. The points above makes you a competent programmer, but these make you a great programmer.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2013, 01:39:34 pm »

The original post is so vague. He says he's going to be involved... but he doesn't say what the game is going to be about or what the programming language would be. I mean, he just wants to gather a group of people, who may or may not be interested in the same things, and who may or may not know how to program in the same language?????

It's like. Tower of Babel Squared.

I think you might be misunderstanding this. Professional game dev crews (at least by the old model), usually decide on concepts together, depending on the team's existing talents and inspirations. Hemmingjay knows he wants to be involved in game development, but also knows that he has skills that would better be suited toward facilitating, financing, and managing said game development team, rather than spearheading the design and such. It's not an exercise where you'd say something like "Who wants to make my 'Call of Duty, but with Orcs and Elves' game for me?"

The OP can correct me if I'm wrong, but this is about finding a team of talented and inspired folks whose skills and interests compliment one another.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 02:54:33 pm »

I would actually want to let him lead and be the manager of this sort of thing just looking at his first post and how he has responded even without the rest of the stuff he has done because he isn't trying to be the undisputed leader who decides all because he realizes its not what he is best at and knows others have ideas as good as what he could come up with. Any person can claim to be great at programming and that they have a great idea they want others help with. Generally though that kind of scheme ends up being either some guy who has an idea and wants others to do it for him or even if the guy is genuine he tends to end up alone because like all (this is an over-generalization) artists seem to get some times "no one understands his art". Not always of course but those are the more likely outcomes.
   Oh and if you look at what he wants its not a team to make a game, its a group who will make games. That is an important thing to take note of.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:56:12 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 08:12:24 pm »

Feh.  Writing up some documents, will have them to you in a couple days.  This is tedious.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2013, 11:19:14 am »

Because none of those things are decided yet?

He isn't looking for people to immediately start developing his idea, he's looking for people who would be willing to try their hand at forming a game dev team and after that deciding what game to develop and how, and if they turn out to be a good team then there's potentially some cash in it for them.

Correct. Thank you for recapping my original message.

There is a short delay at play here as I am involved in a large deal with a game that is near release and until I finish my duties there, I cannot move forward. However, the byproduct of this deal is that it is further cementing my relationships in the industry as well as is funding my bankroll. I only hand a few of these a year, so there should be minimal interruptions moving forward.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2013, 12:01:45 pm »

PTW, am a wannabe writer.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2013, 01:12:58 pm »

Posting to perceive and possibly participate. My only real programming projects have been about generating and writing music in C, so I'm probably not much help with programming a game itself. Although I did help a friend of mine with the physics of his platformer in Java...

I'm a physics/computer science major, and somehow I've ended up studying acoustic physics and writing music with programming.  :P I've done a little music-by-sampling, but most of my electronic music experience is in C. I can compose sheet music in Finale and similar, and I've access to a euphonium and piano to play some of it myself. I've been looking to make music for something for a while, since it gives me more inspiration. I don't know if it's the sort of thing you're looking for, but you can hit me up with a PM if you want some tracks.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 01:16:54 pm by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2013, 01:34:49 pm »

Color me interested, albeit slightly skeptical for obvious reasons.

I am a programmer who's worked on several small-time games and hobbyist projects (like SS13) in various different languages, but I don't know if I'm cut out to participate in this. Regardless, I'm interested in seeing where this is going :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2013, 01:54:30 pm »

Ok, I'll try to come up with a few things this weekend.

I have a nascent idea I came up with for a pen and paper RPG universe, but it is still rather rough, and has some cliche elements I want to redress.  That and a few other simple story ideas I have squirreled away might suffice for my lack of a portfolio on that front.

I can also make some high quality models of common household appliances and such in my kitchen (if not my kitchen itself) to show what I can actually do in regard to solid modeling.  The work I have done for my employer is a vast collection, but since it was done for my employer, it does not legally belong to me, so I can't show any of it. 

So far, I am the only nibble for 3d art assets.  I hope some others consider that as well... Most legitimate projects have at least 3 people doing 3d asset work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4