Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Game programmers and designers enroll here.  (Read 6784 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game programmers and designers enroll here.
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2013, 01:57:10 pm »

There are also plenty of popular games that don't have any 3d, though. And plenty others with a limited amount, where a single artist could probably be enough. Obviously the final result will depend in large part on the sort of talent attracted.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:13:06 pm by GlyphGryph »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2013, 02:07:58 pm »

Wierd, how do you feel about cel-shading?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2013, 02:15:22 pm »

Sadly, my artistic education was rather biased heavily toward realism, as my mother is a realist wildlife painter. I don't have her skill with paint though. The principles and rules in composition and in regard to perspective and proportion are well drummed into me however, so I often have difficulties with purposefully deviating artforms, like manga, and the like. I have helped to overcome this deficiency by working with sprites, where you HAVE to make use of such features or your sprite turns out as just a fuzzy smear.

I can probably learn to do cell shading, but it isn't something that is native to my element as an artist. (that doesnt mean I wont at least try to do it you understand..)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2013, 09:29:05 pm »

Here's another nibble by a 3d art guy.  Thanks to Soli for pointing me to the thread, or I wouldn't have noticed it.

I'm tentative, though... I really don't know how much I'll be able to contribute.  And I know it looks bad leading with that, but being dishonest about it and flaking out after making a commitment is even worse. 

As much as I'm happier with my new job, it has been really draining.  I'm working a ton harder there than I did at my last job, am still going to be learning lots of new stuff daily for at least the next 6 weeks, and I'm directly interacting with people all day long, which really saps me as an introvert.  Then I get home and my family wants tons of attention.  I'm happier, but I'm also quickly running out of steam.  And I've been told that peak season is brutal.  I'll probably be working many hours of overtime a couple months from now.

I'm also still on board with Rapture, but I don't know for how much longer.  The team chemistry there is honestly pretty horrible, and I've been very doubtful that they'll ever make it for a couple months already.  They're in a transitional stage right now, and if I find a better opportunity before their next project gets fully underway, I will definitely go for it.

So... I'm very interested.  Keep me in mind.  I'll scrabble together some of my more recent work into a presentable format if requested.  You're probably already aware, as I've mentioned it often enough on these boards, but I'm a ZBrusher.  I can do whatever kind of 3d models and texturing.  Still need to work on my anatomy and optimization for games, where I would call myself capable but not great, but something like this would be the best way to push myself to improve.  I'll be keeping an eye on this, and if there's any room for me when things get rolling, I'll be careful and honest about how much I can commit.  It sucks having to be so careful.  I'd love nothing more than to go all out on this with bravado.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 09:30:41 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2013, 10:06:48 pm »

PTW and not much else, I'm afraid. I'm an aspiring writer, but one has already offered his services.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 12:46:15 am »

I have basically no resume to speak of, except for the stalled project in my sig and a few contributions to cataclysm, but I'll work for free if I'm part of a larger team. PM me if you're interested. I know java and some C++. I also have a lot of games designed. If you tell me exactly what kind of game you want designed I can put together a brief for you.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:49:28 am by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2013, 03:41:11 pm »

To respond to the rumors that I am absent due to GTA 5.....I spent 3 days playing that and working and then the last 4 working 20 hours a day. I am on the verge of a major publishing deal for another game maker which will also give me the funds and further connections to apply to new projects. I have also been offered a position at a major game studio, so there is a small chance that I will re-enter the game industry soon. Small chance as it pays pretty poorly compared to other industries.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2013, 03:45:18 pm »

Aw man, I hope you get some time out after that! I know what that's like, and by the end of those I just want to crawl in a hole and stay there, possibly forever! ;)

Also, money isn't everything, so why not consider something in the games industry in case that happens to give you more joy and happiness? :)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2013, 03:48:02 pm »

I have recently gotten into spiriting well. If this team needs a spriter, I'd be happy to help.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2013, 03:59:09 pm »

I have recently gotten into spiriting well. If this team needs a spriter, I'd be happy to help.

Really? Any examples? I've only seen your ordinary spritework (like the guy sitting on the chair), not the well-made stuff.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2013, 04:51:56 pm »

Well, it's well-made by my standards, but hopefully it's good enough. These are sprites for a game idea I had in my head for a while.

Static!
Animation!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2013, 05:38:27 pm »

I've been working on a pen and paper universe, essentially from scratch, but with some familiar archetypes that have been re-imagined.

I am very close to having a very internally consistent narrative and conceptual model for my "orc" analogs, but unfortunately, the subject matter would instantly result in an M or R rating by the ESRB if it were made into a computer game. (It's quite graphic, and explicit in nature in fact, and I am hesitant to write about it on a public forum as a consequence. Let's just say that what's ordnary common practice for them, results in hard jail time and death penalties in human society, and put it at that for now, with the addition that for them, it is litterally natural to do those things, and the human way of doing things is extremely unnatural and confusing for them. Eg, they aren't explicitly evil; brutality is simply part of what they are and how they think, and they are built to withstand and incorporate that. Much like humans don't usually think twice about the origins of a ham sandwich before eating it, and many find veganism to be incomprehensibly silly and restrictive, if not officiously castigating and confining. Much more accurately, imagine somebody saying and doing things that are so over the line that you simply can't contain your anger, and you bust them in the face. It is an instinctual reaction, powered by millions of years of evolution that does not care about societies or norms, and you don't even realize you have knocked their teeth out until you suddenly find your fist lodged in their bloody face.  For orcs, that sensation and impulse goes much deeper, to the point where an M rating is simply inescapable. The source material for them will be similarly graphic and explicit in nature, and thus my hesitence to just write it up and post it.)

But, if it's decided to be OK for show and tell, I suppose I could sew it together and slap some makeup on it. Warts and all.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2013, 05:39:15 am »

PTW: may send in resume after my current contract is fulfilled.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2013, 07:11:12 am »

I wish I could join this, but school is soaking up most of my time, and after that I'll want/need a 'solid' job. Still, I wish everyone the best of luck. And I'm curious as to what's going to come out of this.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2013, 11:50:37 am »

This sounds like an exciting opportunity for anyone with the skills and time to participate.
I would like to add my "good luck" wishes for the team that gets together.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]