Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Fonline: Reloaded  (Read 20615 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Fonline: Reloaded
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2013, 04:16:32 pm »

Look at its picture. It is clearly a sniper rifle. Its description even calls it a sniper rifle. It has a visually small clip and a scope. It has no business bursting. I mean, you might be able to explain away like a 3 round burst, maybe. So everytime I see it with a short range with burst my tiny little ocd demon in my mind just starts ramming a tiny icepick in my brain.

Right now I'm still considering trying it. Maybe the petty forum squabbles are misleading. Right now I've got some stuff to do though. Maybe later tonight.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2013, 04:35:56 pm »

I was talking about the FOnline2 bozar just for the record. And just be happy that you have the option to snipe with it, whereas it was inexplicably a full-on machinegun in Fallout 2.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2013, 07:02:13 pm »

I was talking about the FOnline2 bozar just for the record. And just be happy that you have the option to snipe with it, whereas it was inexplicably a full-on machinegun in Fallout 2.

You forgot the sniping CAWS shotgun

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2013, 07:03:39 pm »

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the Fallout 2 set of weapons. The guns were done really well in the original Fallout though.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2013, 09:10:49 pm »

Rolled a character. Lilith Gray.

Took evader and Jinxed. Also going to try and stack as much AC as I can. Because every time they miss is another 50% chance to lose all their ammo,backfire, or shoot themselves in the foot.

(Also considering just saying fuck it and rolling a dedicated crafter.)

Got my tent up, bought a combat knife and started scavenging and working up a set of tools.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:32:15 pm by Kaitol »

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2013, 04:16:45 pm »

After four days of playing I'm failing to see the point of the game. You spend three hours working, making something, building up caps and crafting and making stuff. Then you run into a camper on your way back to your tent in the wastes who just kills you before you can do anything. Everything's gone.

That's three hours of work and its just gone. You might as well have spent those three hours doing something else. There's no skill involved, you can't get better at it, there's very little you can do about it other then raise outdoorsman and pray that you get an encounter pop up and it ACTUALLY SHOWS THE PLAYER NAME WHICH OFTEN IT DOESN'T, and pray no one runs into your encounter after the fact.

There's no point in actually trying to just play the game. You run to pre-determined grinding spots, grind out 15 sets of gear for the infinite amount of deaths you will encounter, then die and lose it, wash, rinse, repeat ad infinitem. Literally all effort you put into this game is wasted, because you will never accomplish anything that will last more than 20 minutes outside of a huge high-level gang. I'm halfway surprised they even let you keep your levels and don't just set you back to level one, so that that like ten high level people who started playing the hour the server went on can just kill everything. Because right now that seems to be who the game is catering to entirely.

Christ, even hellmoo had ways of saving your stuff. I don't even know why they try having beginner towns, because campers just wait outside them, and you can't stop from running into them. So they're pretty much deathtraps. Then again the same goes for all the other places, because one unarmed ghoul will kill a level ten melee tank in one round without a problem.

You can't play the game because you spend 8/10's of your time trying to get another weapon to replace the one you lost after you died. Then immediately after you make a weapon, you run into another camper who kills you.

There should be basic pvp restrictions so players above like level fifteen can't attack players below fifteen unless attacked first. Just so you have some time to actually build something up. Oh no, campers won't be able to one shot noobies for a pistol and a hundred rounds of 10mm and a hundred caps. Whatever will they do.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2013, 05:26:12 pm »

For the record, are you talking about Fonline Reloaded or Fonline 2? Cause from my experience, Fonline 2 is just like that, full of dirtbags that randomly kill you for no reason. And they can kill and loot you even when you're in a guarded town right in front of a merchant. And all the encounters are ridiculously overpowered.

Fonline Reloaded, however, is somewhat more manageable, at least as long as you're playing real-time only (apparently makes PvP encounters really rare). And the encounters aren't as inane, though they're still pretty hard when you're alone.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 05:52:28 pm »

For the record, are you talking about Fonline Reloaded or Fonline 2? Cause from my experience, Fonline 2 is just like that, full of dirtbags that randomly kill you for no reason. And they can kill and loot you even when you're in a guarded town right in front of a merchant. And all the encounters are ridiculously overpowered.

Fonline Reloaded, however, is somewhat more manageable, at least as long as you're playing real-time only (apparently makes PvP encounters really rare). And the encounters aren't as inane, though they're still pretty hard when you're alone.
man Fonline 2238 was a pain in the ass. I Spent months dodging encounters, avoidran from griefers and thieves just so i could start making a profit in crafting crappy pistols and in the end it wasnt worth it as i joined a clan and they dump gear on me crazy so i didnt do anything after that other than doing raid parties.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2013, 06:55:55 pm »

Most of that was 2. I also tried reloaded but wasn't to enamored with it either, although I only played it one night. I might wait for the big wipe and patch 2 is getting, because right now is only the 2238 code with like, 10% of their new stuff in it so I'm willing to give the dev team the benefit of the doubt that they might be able to make playing the game at low levels bearable.

The game should really be fun playing at any level and any way. Not just high level gangs and TC stuff.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 05:26:24 am »

Yeah, that's pretty much it so far. Fonline 2 has the most improvements and new code, including caravan guarding jobs, but its balance is garbage and heavily favours PKs. Fonline Reloaded is lacking in improvements, and a big problem with it is most NPC merchants don't accept anything, making the Fallout bartering system pretty fucking useless, but it's much more forgiving overall and you won't get griefed much at all (just don't let randoms follow you out of public locations).

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 06:54:19 am »

Losing is fun. Level your outdoorsman.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 07:17:33 am »

Losing is fun. Level your outdoorsman.
That's not gonna help when they gun you down in town in one burst right in front of a merchant and 20 guards that can at most critical hit them for 2 hp.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 07:23:38 am »

They're going to have a hard time leaving the map with all of the town's police force chasing them, and if they kill any police officers themselves they will be permanently exiled from the town.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 08:02:47 am »

They're going to have a hard time leaving the map with all of the town's police force chasing them, and if they kill any police officers themselves they will be permanently exiled from the town.
As I just said, the town's police force couldn't do more than 2 HP damage per critical shot (out of the 300 the average PK build has), and knowing FO's system, most other shots either glanced off or missed. As far as I've seen after I returned, the guy was running around in a circle, avoiding the police and gathering up stuff after he'd exploded the corpse. So yeah, don't think that's a problem, especially considering the same guy did it again later on.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 12:11:45 pm »

Losing is fun. Being randomly game over'd in a second by something completely out of your hands at any time with no chance to try to run or fight back is not. Dying, then immediately walking outside the spawn point and getting killed again isn't fun. It's poor design. Also, dying literally one second after leaving a "safe" town.

There are no repercussions for pking. There should be. Make it so attacking players lowers your reputation. And when it gets low enough your name becomes red as you're infamous, and guards will no longer care if anyone shoots you. If they want to pk so much, whelp, give it to them. They can't complain when other players do the same to them.

Also, if you'd bothered really reading my previous posts, outdoorsman only moderately lowers the chances of you dying, because people can walk in on your encounters. Or the game can just fail to show a players name on an encounter popup. Both of which happened to me many times.

Right now the game is fun for two kinds of people. PKers and gangs. Neither of which interest me. I don't like being a dick and randomly killing everyone I see because I can and I'm untouchable to anyone below level 20. And while I might eventually join a group if I find some chill guys I like, its not the main focus for me. I want to get good gear, do quests and trading, and run dungeons. All of which is very untenable with the hordes of PKers clamoring at every turn to murder your brown-jacket self.

How would you feel playing dwarf fortress if the game just randomly said a bored god killed all your dwarves for no reason, game over try again? That isn't fun. That isn't a game. That's bad design

How the fuck is anyone supposed to just get into the game and just play if they're not a veteran 2238 player who knows all the game mechanics, and best locations for grinding and loot? At the moment the game is about as fun for a new player as trying to roll a boulder up a mountain with your bare hands. Its like the game has a fun detector, and every time it senses someone in a brown jacket starting to have fun it throws six or seven pkers at them in a row. "ohai, you just crafted an advanced pistol with really good stats for your sniper build, and bought yourself a beat up assault rifle with some AP ammo after scrounging around for an hour and selling crafted pistols? Whelp, the instant he walks out of town with all that, I'm going to forcibly spawn him right next to a guy with a turbo plasma rifle who will crit him for 2x his max hp the instant he spawns in! Kekekeke."

I wonder what the player retention rate is for people not from 2238 or reloaded.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4