Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothes abandoned everywhere  (Read 1745 times)

mark_valley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clothes abandoned everywhere
« on: September 04, 2013, 10:23:37 pm »

Hi!

Recently my dwarfs began to abandon pieces of cloth everywhere. Reading the descriptions, it seems they are old cloth that cannot be used anymore. The problem is that it is a little bit tedious to keep dumpimp those crap everytime.

The refuse stock pile does not seems to be the place where old cloths get stored. Is there any way to deal with it on a more automate way?

Thanks!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clothes abandoned everywhere
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 10:39:17 pm »

First of all make sure your dwarves have containers like cabinets to store their owned clothes.

For automating clothes that are literally discarded, see some of the tips in this topic :)
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

mark_valley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:02:47 am »

Nice topic there! Thanks a lot!

Just a question: Do i need to create individual rooms to effectively use the cabinets or can i use then at collective dormitories? I am asking that because i have placed about 40 cabinets inside collective rooms and those dwarfs continue abandoning their clothes, no cabinet has been used at all (2 seasons has passed). I figured out that some of the clothes are in good state.

To make the things a little bit worst, an human caravan was completely wiped by a siege and now i have tons of items killing my fps. I will try to destroy then.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 08:05:35 am »

Nice topic there! Thanks a lot!

Just a question: Do i need to create individual rooms to effectively use the cabinets or can i use then at collective dormitories? I am asking that because i have placed about 40 cabinets inside collective rooms and those dwarfs continue abandoning their clothes, no cabinet has been used at all (2 seasons has passed). I figured out that some of the clothes are in good state.

To make the things a little bit worst, an human caravan was completely wiped by a siege and now i have tons of items killing my fps. I will try to destroy then.

Yeah, hate it when that happens with caravans, I usually just set everything to dump a nd have it near the entrance or in an atomsmasher near the entrance.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:41:34 am »

You put cabinets in personal rooms, the ones you designate from beds (press "q" on a bed).

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

mark_valley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:20:57 pm »

Hello,

Sorry but i am a little bit confused and the dwarfs still not using the cabinets.

My fortress has bedrooms for general purpose where i put 4 beds and 4 cabinets. The only bedrooms i assign directly to some dwarf are the ones designated for nobles.

I am a very noob player (this is my second fortress after the first one being destroyed on the second year). To make a bedroom i select one of the beds, press "r" to make a bedroom, resize it to the size of the room and to cover the other beds. Then make it a dormitory pressing "d".

Now i am taking a look at my dwarf status and it seems that no one have a bedroom assigned to him (except the nobles). I am supposing that they are not using the cabinets because of it.

Should i do it on a different manner? Should i make bedrooms with only one bed and assign each one to a dwarf? (I have 200 dwarfs and it would be a caos :p)

Thanks !

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 10:24:31 pm »

Dormitories can't have cabinets, they need to be private rooms.

However, you can have them share.  Assign each bed as a private bedroom in the dormitory and they'll be able to both use the cabinets and see vampires. :)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 12:26:20 am »

Hello,

Sorry but i am a little bit confused and the dwarfs still not using the cabinets.

My fortress has bedrooms for general purpose where i put 4 beds and 4 cabinets. The only bedrooms i assign directly to some dwarf are the ones designated for nobles.

I am a very noob player (this is my second fortress after the first one being destroyed on the second year). To make a bedroom i select one of the beds, press "r" to make a bedroom, resize it to the size of the room and to cover the other beds. Then make it a dormitory pressing "d".

Now i am taking a look at my dwarf status and it seems that no one have a bedroom assigned to him (except the nobles). I am supposing that they are not using the cabinets because of it.

Should i do it on a different manner? Should i make bedrooms with only one bed and assign each one to a dwarf? (I have 200 dwarfs and it would be a caos :p)

Thanks !

You need to do almost exactly what you are doing, except pressing "d". If you build beds and make a room out of each of them, dwarves will assign themselves to these rooms.

Everything in these rooms will belong to them, including cabinets, doors, statues, weapon racks etc. If the room has a cabinet, they'll put their clothes in them, otherwise they'll dump them on the room's floor

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 06:10:59 am »

old clothing that has been dropped by dwarfs will, in the current version, lose the ownership tag (which is what keeps other dwarfs from moving it as it is without dumping). After a few weeks have passed, someone will be around to pick it up and put it away. Secondly, the clothes can still be used. They can be worn, though if they are damaged enough they can cause bad thoughts, but it's better than nothing. They can also be sold to the next caravan.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

mark_valley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 07:37:28 am »

Nice, it worked!

I am very impressed with this game, the developers are doing aa amazing job!

Thnks!