Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: (TSG) Station Day - Day One, Arrival  (Read 10447 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
(TSG) Station Day - Day One, Arrival
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:41:11 am »

Station Day
You are an officer in charge of the Koba-Day border station, in the Koba desert. For dozens of miles in every direction it is nothing but rolling dunes of blistering sand and for hundreds more it's naught but bare, cracked earth broken by the occasional oasis or pathetically small township. It's a demeaning duty and a dangerous one, but the Sultanate, growing fat on his throne of gold has mandated that such a posting be maintained, every day of the year for the twelve brightest hours of each.

The Koba Desert is massive, and cursed with scorching heat during the day and nights cold enough to kill anything not buried beneath four blankets and a healthy coating of dry, penetrating sand within moments of the temperature meeting it's low. The only reason that anyone survives passage is by passing through the aptly named Day Valley. The shelter from the sun and wind, as well as the radiated heat offered by the nearly straight 100 kilometre long stretch of valley has kept many a nomad alive for centuries, so it is written, and now that the mark of civilisation has befallen mankind it's feuding governments have decided that passage into one another's domains be regulated. Thus the Koba-Day Valley Station was born and plopped right in the middle of the Day Valley, cutting it almost directly in half, and your mangy arse has fallen to the responsibility of running it.

And so you find yourself, on a half-starved horse you bought from a peddler with several rotten teeth and as many fingers, in your best silken robes - which are more as rags, though better than most have - addressing the tiny unit that was so graciously granted you by His Grace the Sultan, to police this mostly flat stretch of godforsaken land. You address the troops, introducing yourself as..

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:23:05 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (TSG) Station Day - Inspired by Papers, Please - Day One
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 08:13:59 am »

Name: Azdna Shey
Appearance: Standing as tall as most men and with wiry muscles hiding beneath her skin of deep-bronze, not many suspect Azdna as female on the first glance. Her deeply inset pair of amber eyes is always ringed with black mascara - obviously needed in such a hostile enviroment. The smallish nose and lips might create a sense of womanly charm, were it not for the near-constant frown of the eyebrows that dissipate them from doing so. Reaching over the shoulderblades, her coalen hair is finely braided in a multitude of strands - and bound with a strip of leather, as not to impede in combat.
Background: Hailing from the streets of the sultanates capital, Azdna made her hardy living as cutpurse, take-and-run, occasional burglary - you name it. A small clash of daggers with a fellow street-urchin somehow aquired her the interest of a merchant, who after a few weeks of gauging and gaining her loyality (mostly through meals, mind her), set her up as his daughters private guard - not trusting men to do so in fear of possible tarnish. After that one was successfully and honourably married of some years later, same merchant got Azdna a place with the guards. Let's just say that her insight and somewhat underhanded methods of fighting and going about things gave rise to some sort of recognition. Not one that did her good, with things being as they are now.
Speech: Look over your men. Take a longish glance at your new home. Sigh deeply. "Let's get this over with.."

Not often that we get something medieval Arabia in here - I like it. On that note, we switched from clumsily holding unto a rusty dagger and now utilize katars for too-close-combat. Mostly because immersive flair commands us to do so.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:06:18 pm »

Not often that we get something medieval Arabia in here - I like it. On that note, we switched from clumsily holding unto a rusty dagger and now utilize katars for too-close-combat. Mostly because immersive flair commands us to do so.
What?   And yeah I'm super excited about my Arabia thing. I'm having trouble deciding if it's semi-scifi or semi-modern yet though.

I'll wait for one or two more sheets.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:08:44 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 03:36:23 pm »

Good lord.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 03:37:49 pm »

Making a sheet.

and here it is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:37:43 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 06:01:22 pm »

Thus the Koba-Day Valley Station was born and plopped right in the middle of the, and your mangy arse has fallen to the responsibility of running it.
Well, at least it's only the middle of The. It could be the middle of Should, Gray, or--worst of all--Not!

So. TSG. Semi-joke entry:

Spoiler: Red the Dark (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 06:12:44 pm »

Thus the Koba-Day Valley Station was born and plopped right in the middle of the, and your mangy arse has fallen to the responsibility of running it.
Well, at least it's only the middle of The. It could be the middle of Should, Gray, or--worst of all--Not!

So. TSG. Semi-joke entry:

Spoiler: Red the Dark (click to show/hide)
Fixed.

And if that's some kind of reference I wouldn't know it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 06:13:34 pm »

No reference, just...odd.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 06:42:46 pm »

Ah.

So I'm leaning towards Escaped Lurker's, since it's up to me unless someone +1's and I like this character's attitude and hair. I like Asea's interesting not-a-brown-person deal though, because it gets me thinking, but otherwise the character's personality is lackluster, and his background makes no sense.

And then there's GWG's. It's.. er.. It's GWG's.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 07:27:12 pm »

I may go polish mine, But basically its
Polish time!

Polished!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:38:17 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 08:31:19 pm »

Possible expanses of the sultanate could add quite the nice flair - I somehow am all for that part. On the matter of flair, it being semi-modern or scifi would actually make quite a lot of sense, as arabia was on top in terms of tech for quite a long time. Nowadays, only turkey got the jump on industrialism right, but they were also heavily influenced by central europe, getting as far as austria with their conquest at some point. So basically, it would make sense, and paint a picture we have actually yet to see - outside of some sheik-gathering-metropoles that is. (Thou I hear that morocco is gaining some speed on that front, with their prince having taken to the throne a few years back. Only nation where there were only protests instead of rioting in that arabic spring a while back, so i guess its true. )

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 08:39:19 pm »

Possible expanses of the sultanate could add quite the nice flair - I somehow am all for that part. On the matter of flair, it being semi-modern or scifi would actually make quite a lot of sense, as arabia was on top in terms of tech for quite a long time. Nowadays, only turkey got the jump on industrialism right, but they were also heavily influenced by central europe, getting as far as austria with their conquest at some point. So basically, it would make sense, and paint a picture we have actually yet to see - outside of some sheik-gathering-metropoles that is. (Thou I hear that morocco is gaining some speed on that front, with their prince having taken to the throne a few years back. Only nation where there were only protests instead of rioting in that arabic spring a while back, so i guess its true. )
I like the idea, though as a rule none of my games are ever based on Earth when it comes to geography. The world in this game is mostly desert with some frozen islands where most fair people live just off the coast, as Aseaheru was lucky enough to guess.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 08:47:59 pm »

Hey, could someone come quickly and +1 something?
Sig

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 08:49:02 pm »

Please. We need a conclusion to that vote.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 09:08:46 pm »

I may go polish mine, But basically its
Polish time!

Polished!