Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: High school, first impressions, pros'n'cons or: "Adios pomidore"  (Read 4828 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: High school, first impressions, pros'n'cons or: "Adios pomidore"
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 05:53:10 pm »

This reminds me of high-schools number one drug: procrastination

This is why I have a fuckin' B in econ right now
That is a serious problem for me. I should probably do something about it.
Next week.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 06:00:10 pm »

I loved High School. I can't say why. I wasn't particularly liked but I wasn't hated. The one thing I do have to mention of interest is that rumors can get pretty harsh... Like... SUPER harsh if you let them bother you. I, for example, found out during my 10th grade year that a majority of the school believed, legitimately, that I had a hit list and was planning to kill people. Actually had to talk to some cops and stay home for about two weeks to let it blow over...

What I'm trying to say, to those of you starting High School or are already in it, is just try to enjoy it. Even if bad stuff happens to you you can always bound back from it. Especially if you have friends to rely on.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 06:08:57 pm »

I wrote about my contemplation of murder in a class journal. Had to get documentation from my psychologist to come back to school. Not sure if that's better or worse than two weeks' suspension.

High school should definitely be enjoyed above all else. Senior, maybe junior, year, you may want to take some classes for dual credit so you have some of the worthless college classes done with by the time you get there and a head-start on exploring your higher-level options. But doing work in high school is definitely overrated. Scholarships in America are based more off standardized test scores than grades.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 06:16:44 pm »

Of course, if you're going to school in the states, it's still a very good idea to put in a tiny bit of effort for that 4.0 GPA because of all the sweet, sweet scholarship money that will bring.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 08:01:25 pm »

Of course, if you're going to school in the states, it's still a very good idea to put in a tiny bit of effort for that 4.0 GPA because of all the sweet, sweet scholarship money that will bring.

I'm sure learning that shit now

oh, a 3.6 is good, right?

"No", says the american college system. "No, and in fact, go fuck yourself".

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 09:10:52 pm »

3.1 and a 30 on the ACTs is good... Right? RIGHT!?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 09:23:14 pm »

I'd calculate my GPA but I'd drown in my tears. So I'm instead focused on other efforts, such as the SATs, the PSATs, and I guess a really, really, good essay.

My mom was once worked in acceptance and admittance at Columbia, so she knows a bit about how it works.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 09:24:03 pm »

Ffffffffffffffff homework
I'd forgotten how rage filled you make me.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 09:34:25 pm »

Fortunately my family was poor, so I get edumacated on all that sweet single mother handout money ruining 'MURKA, regardless of my mediocre transcript. But yeah, high school grades are probably important. Many of my friends from high school are in incredibly shitty financial situations now that we have to pay money to continue living.

I thought high school was a large improvement over middle school, but really, that's like saying that boxed wine is an improvement over a toilet bowl of domestic vinegar. It still is going to be more of the same, just somewhat more advanced and with more reasonable people. I would still say that a person's life finally begins when they head off to college/university/trade school/work/monastic order, as that's when you finally get a degree of freedom and direction over your own life.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 09:44:23 pm »

Hey new high school people, big tip: The PSAT is super important for some reason. No idea why. There's this thing called National Merit Scholar that will earn you lots of scholarship dollars for doing very well on it. Like, had I gotten a few points more on my PSAT, my scholarship money would have doubled for the entirety of my college 4 years. So if you haven't taken the PSAT yet, prep for that shit. It may be stupid but scholarship money is some of the easiest money to make.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2013, 08:08:32 am »

Hey new high school people, big tip: The PSAT is super important for some reason. No idea why. There's this thing called National Merit Scholar that will earn you lots of scholarship dollars for doing very well on it. Like, had I gotten a few points more on my PSAT, my scholarship money would have doubled for the entirety of my college 4 years. So if you haven't taken the PSAT yet, prep for that shit. It may be stupid but scholarship money is some of the easiest money to make.
Ding ding ding! After I blew my full ride scholarship by spending my freshman year getting drunk and laid, the National Merit scholarships were all I had left. PSAT is srs bsns.

And yes, GPA is a big deal too, bigger than SATs. SATs are good for getting into a school you want. GPA is good for getting them to PAY for you to go there. I was accepted to some awesome schools (USC, UCLA, NYU, and waitlisted for MIT). None of them offered me a dime though, because my SATs were damn near perfect but my GPA was a mere 3.4, not even in the top 10% of my graduating class.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2013, 08:14:00 am »

You know, the more I read about America's schooling system and America's healthcare...
And I keep wondering if it's actually 'Italy' propaganda.

I mean...do your college cost really that much that you need to take out loans you'll repay in decades? I can't fathom it...I mean, the most one pays in Italy if he's poor and goes to a second-place university is not more than 700 (The Tourin Politechnic actually has deals that you only pay 200 euros something of the first check, and then the second is free if you take the course in English)
Maybe when taking loans, students also get in rent money? Is that the reason it takes decades to pay it back?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2013, 12:36:58 pm »

It all depends on what school you go to. There are extreme price ranges between public and private universities in the US. For example: I go to ASU, a public university. My tuition is $1,200, my fees are $1,300, my meal plan is $1,500, and my housing is $2,200. That works out to about $7,000 dollars a semester.

The premier private university of my state, Duke University, has a semester tuition (and that's just tuition) of $50,000 dollars.

(Also, the big reason it takes people a lot of time to pay off student debt is that you can only pay it off. By law, student loans cannot be defaulted on for any reason, ever.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 01:28:21 pm »

Sorry if I sound so blunt.
You Americans are mad.

I thought Italy was bad, but really...why not try and come abroad to study? For example, taking English courses in Italian universities -which actually have way, way lower costs because they're in English.
If we consider it in the Italy scale -and here I'm talking of the Politechnic of Tourin- the most spent was...
217 euros -first semester tax- Housemates to share the house with (Speaking of Tourin here) 300 euros a month. 'Food plan' is that, if your 'Isee' or 'wealth' is below a certain score, you only pay 1.80 euros per lunch meal and dinner meal. Meaning 3.60 euros a day which roughly end in circa 100 euros a month. For a single semester of six months, that would be...
1800 euros of housing, 600 euros of food and only 217 euros of tuition.
Which results in 2617 euros for a semester, with 217 euros less for the next one (speaking from english course experience)
so...
Yep, you americans are mad.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 02:14:03 pm »

I, and most Americans, are not interested in spending four years in Europe. And between all costs it probably would end up costing about the same anyway.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4