Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Choosing a Specific Region to Embark on  (Read 452 times)

auris2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Choosing a Specific Region to Embark on
« on: September 03, 2013, 02:38:45 am »

So i want to embark in fortress mode in region 5... but when i press start playing it forces me to use region 3. i got mad, so i deleted region three and now there is no start playing menu option, although i can continue any of my other forts. could it be that i ccant have more than one fort running in one region at once?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing a Specific Region to Embark on
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 05:34:42 am »

that's right, one active adventurer or fort in a region at a time. You can retire/abandon and start a new fort, but not two forts running side by side. You can copy the region folder if you don't actually want to abandon completely.

from the wiki (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Dwarf_fortress_mode)
After at least one world has been generated you will be able to start the game. Only one game may be going on in a world at the same time
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:36:49 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 10:19:31 am »

If you export the world-gen settings you can use advanced world gen to re-create the exact same world, that way you can create as many fortresses in parallel identical worlds.

To export world-gen settings: go to your fortress and hit esc to open the menu and choose "export local image", from there hit 'e'
 to export images.

It will create a bunch of files in the Dwarf Fortress main folder, on of those will be named something like "fortressname-param-regionX-XXX-XXXX.txt" copy the content of this file in your init/worldgen.txt and you'll be able to use it in "Design New World with Advanced Parameters"
Playing DF on a Mac.

auris2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 04:44:29 pm »

thanks for the help guys!