Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Demon Fires?  (Read 1140 times)

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Demon Fires?
« on: April 29, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »

So, I finally dug to the pits, and I was pretty well prepared for the initial engagement.  I lost a couple military dwarves, but I killed all the demons.  At this point, I had somewhere between 120 and 150 dwarves left.  After that, though, I noticed that there was smoke spreading all over the place, and dwarves were dropping dead left and right.  No buildings have been overturned, so I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a demon escaping into the main fort or something.   The best guess I can make is that it must be some sort of fire.  Does anyone have any idea what is causing this and how to contain it?

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Fires?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 08:42:00 pm »

when you loo(k) at that "smoke", what does it says ?

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 08:45:00 pm »

It's pretty simple: your dwarves are on fire. Unfortunately, dwarves don't know how to deal with fire in the current version, so they're just going to go about their day, setting lots of other things on fire. Those things will, in turn, set other dwarves on fire. If you can somehow identify and quarantine the burning dwarves and items, you can just leave them there for a season or two until they burn out, but it's probably too late for that. Flooding your fort would put the fires out... but it'd also flood your fort. Sorry to say it, but your fort is probably doomed.

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 08:47:00 pm »

Darn, I was afraid of that.  Thanks.

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »

You can identify burning thing by the two (X2) "!!" surrounding the name.
Example : !!kitten!!. Wich I find very funny.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 09:01:00 pm »

I always build a little channel dividing my base from the hallway that leads to the demon pits.  Once the demons are dead, I quickly flood/unflood the hallway, quickly dousing the army in a post-superbowl gatorade bath.  Then it's off to a feast and press release in the legendary dining room.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 11:38:00 pm »

i just used a cage of goblins to help thin out the demons.  40 gobs and 3 trolls killed 2 demons, and about 5 demons crossed the magma where they were beat down by the six-or-so military dwarves i was able to persuade to come on duty.

i've left the magma bridge retracted while the fires burn themselves out.  after about half a year, the burning demon corpses went out.  a year later, the heaps and heaps of goblin clothing are still smouldering.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 02:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mzbundifund:
<STRONG> Once the demons are dead, I quickly flood/unflood the hallway, quickly dousing the army in a post-superbowl gatorade bath.  Then it's off to a feast and press release in the legendary dining room.</STRONG>

This made me laugh so hard!!

Also, puke, that's very impressive that you were able to get 40 gobs and 3 Trolls all the way over there and have them fight the demons. Way to set your enemies against each other!!!

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 07:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>i just used a cage of goblins to help thin out the demons.  40 gobs and 3 trolls killed 2 demons, and about 5 demons crossed the magma where they were beat down by the six-or-so military dwarves i was able to persuade to come on duty.

i've left the magma bridge retracted while the fires burn themselves out.  after about half a year, the burning demon corpses went out.  a year later, the heaps and heaps of goblin clothing are still smouldering.</STRONG>

That makes me think: Dragons are cage-able, right? I wonder how well a fire-immune Megabeast would fare against the demons?

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »

Dragons are theoretically cageable, and theoretically tamable even... but megabeasts seem to ignore traps so... No, they're not really cagable.

I guess you could pit a dragon against the demons with a lot of creative draw-bridge walls and draw-bridge catapaults and a bit of luck. Else you could just mod in common_domestic trainable version of a dragon... That might actually be pretty fun for other reasons...

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

ATTACK BARKIE VON DRAGON

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 12:44:00 am »

I ended up just making the dwarves fire immune till things calmed down.  Not exactly honest, but since it's due to a bug anyways I don't see anything wrong with it.  ;)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 12:43:00 pm »

i'm ashamed to say, that i ended up save-scumming.  I took appart a bridge, and floating rocks are preventing further construction across the chasm.

thus, i must refight my demon battle.   the good news is, that another goblin wave came.  so i have about 70 more goblins now. I dont have water anywhere near the battle area, so i cant put out the potential fires that way.  but i could burn them out with magma, but i think that might destroy the demon bones.  and I do so want a few things made from demon bone and demon leather.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 12:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ricree:
<STRONG>Darn, I was afraid of that.  Thanks.</STRONG>

You could always quarantine it too. Deny any claims that there ever was a dwarven city in that area... and silence anyone who persists in these claims...

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

wetwarev7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 12:15:00 pm »

It's too bad you can't cage demons and make demon forges out of 'em...
here are 10 kinds of people inthe world. Those who understand binary, and those who don''t.
Pages: [1] 2