Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mighty No. 9 (Kickstarter): *Sorta* Creator of Mega-Man for spiritual sequel  (Read 2388 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9?ref=live

Mighty No. 9 is basically a Mega-Man spiritual sequel from the creator of Mega-Man himself, Keiji Inafune
(edit: sorta, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiji_Inafune#Rockman.2FMega_Man)
Capcom basically has said they are done with Mega-Man, so more or less this is the closest thing there is to a new Mega-Man.

In any case, looks like people are throwing money at it like crazy.  All the stuff posted is basically concept art and theres no demo or anything (not that it should be hard to actually make the game engine now after its basically been done over and over, most of the real work comes from the design).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 03:30:13 pm by Moghjubar »
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well given that there are HUGE, and I mean huge, numbers of Megaman fans and the series is all but DEAD!!!

I can see why it already hit its goal in just a couple of days.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

I love how one of the potential designs for  Call is a blatant expy of the girl that was going to be in legends 3
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will say I dislike the overdesigned 2d. It to me needs to be simplified.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dig the fancy 2d art, it looks gorgeous.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dig the fancy 2d art, it looks gorgeous.

That isn't really what I am judging it on. "Of course" it looks good.

Just somehow... the sharp lines make everything look exceptionally flat. I don't know how to explain it, but I only see this in games that go a bit too with the 2d appearance.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for this info.  This is pretty much a no-brainer.  Kickstarter is so cool... I love that it puts money straight into good game design allowing consumers to bypass marketing analysts and just vote with our wallets before games get made.  Capitalism at its best, go freedom of investment!   8)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

I'm surprised Inafune had to resort to Kickstarter, considering that he's an industry veteran and presumably well-connected.  You'd think he'd be able to secure money from more traditional sources.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend

I'm not sure that kickstarter is necessarily a 'resort to' thing now... it has kinda edged into mainstream a bit.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

I'm not sure that kickstarter is necessarily a 'resort to' thing now... it has kinda edged into mainstream a bit.

All we know about this game is that there's a couple of screenshots and a vague promise of awesomeness.  Everyone is using their imagination to fill in the huge gaps and expectations are way too high.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Mighty No. 9 (Kickstarter): *Sorta* Creator of Mega-Man for spiritual sequel
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 06:40:48 pm »

No screenshots whatsoever, unless something happened in the <24 hours. There's concept art and maybe a little something of one person mucking around in an art program and insofar as I'm aware that's, like, it.

M'looking forward to seeing something actually game-generated, though. If it matches the mockups, it'll be beautiful.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Mighty No. 9 (Kickstarter): *Sorta* Creator of Mega-Man for spiritual sequel
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 06:43:55 pm »

No screenshots whatsoever, unless something happened in the <24 hours. There's concept art and maybe a little something of one person mucking around in an art program and insofar as I'm aware that's, like, it.

I stand corrected.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 06:56:25 pm »

All we know about this game is that there's a couple of screenshots and a vague promise of awesomeness.  Everyone is using their imagination to fill in the huge gaps and expectations are way too high.

Yeah this is how kickstarter works.  You put money towards a project that is no where near completed, and imagine how it will turn out and then weigh that up with what you know about the people involved and whether you think they can deliver.

Did you play the Bionic Commando reboot?  Because that was pretty damn good and convinced me these guys can do the same here.  I don't see how expectations could be too high for a team with this much experience.  Unless... you know something we don't?

Also... P4RGaming  :)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 10:22:51 pm »

I'm surprised Inafune had to resort to Kickstarter, considering that he's an industry veteran and presumably well-connected.  You'd think he'd be able to secure money from more traditional sources.

Total creative freedom is something that is hard to obtain.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 10:24:08 pm »

Also I think they're trying to use it to recreate the feel of fanbase participation that Legends 3 was suppose to have.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: [1] 2