Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 17355 times)

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2013, 09:01:05 am »

Complete Theros spoiler is out, apparently something to do with MTGO finished it off.

Yeah, someone at WotC uploaded it to the MTGO Beta too soon, so of course people found it as soon as it updated. I'm disappointed in the lack of Condescend or Preordain. I mean, red of all colors gets it's best Scry spell reprinted, while blue gets... Dissolve? Voyage's End is fine, but until RTR rotates Azorius Charm is probably a whole lot better. Omenspeaker is a little underrated, but still not what I'd call 'good'. I guess I can always hope they come in the next two sets, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for other spoilers, I guess it's a fine set. I think they kind of wore out the exciting cards early on in spoilers though - which is normal - but there's not even one card spoiler past the first 140 I'm excited about. Usually something gets me going, if only for Limited.

Also, anyone else remember that they said this prerelease will have playable promos and they spoiled what cards those were? Does anyone know how we pick them? I mean, it's not like there are guilds to say 'yeah, I want Izzet'. Is it just going to be 'which color do you want?' Or, 'which God do you wish to support? Here's a random promo from their color.' I only glanced at the cards, but I'm thinking the White promo is going to be the best one. Mind, I really hate the playable promo gimmick. It really wore out its welcome last block. I know prereleases aren't supposed to be competitive, but I play for the packs. I wouldn't touch it otherwise. I've always been a little jaded towards casual players. They're why we can't have nice things.  :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2013, 10:31:33 am »

It's pick your color, then get the intro pack rare from that color.

On a side note, I'm quite disappointed with the lack of GP Detroit coverage.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2013, 10:40:04 am »

It's pick your color, then get the intro pack rare from that color.

On a side note, I'm quite disappointed with the lack of GP Detroit coverage.

Meh, even worse than they couldn't inject a little flavor into it. WotC...   ::)

And same here. How do technical difficulties keep you from airing until a specified time almost 4 1/2 hours from now? I mean, how is it that specific? Did someone leave behind the cameras, and have to drive to get them and then drive back? I just don't understand.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2013, 10:45:23 am »

I think what happened was they didn't originally plan for coverage, then people got pissy, then they realized "Shit, this is the largest modern GP ever they're right" and got to work.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2013, 11:14:22 am »

I think what happened was they didn't originally plan for coverage, then people got pissy, then they realized "Shit, this is the largest modern GP ever they're right" and got to work.

It confounds me as to why they didn't originally plan for coverage. What were they planning on doing instead?  ???

EDIT: Wait, it says they're going to cover SCG Atlanta, a Standard Open, not a Modern GP.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:18:46 am by inEQUALITY »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2013, 11:19:51 am »

Not live coverage? Though I still don't see where you got the info about video coverage. So it might still be no-video-coverage.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2013, 11:31:17 am »

Front page of Star City Games: "Welcome to the ATL! 665 players have shown up to do battle in the final Standard Open of the season. Technical difficulties mean that SCGLive won't be available until around 4 PM Eastern, but Glenn Jones, Riki Hayashi, and AJ Sacher will keep you updated with coverage from the floor!"

They're not covering the GP at all.  :(

Unusedname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2013, 11:56:09 am »

I wonder if they kicked someone out before posting that number.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2013, 08:33:40 pm »

I wonder if they kicked someone out before posting that number.

Knowing the kind of humor the majority of the demographic had, I'm surprised they didn't try to solicit one more sign-up just to make sure it was 666.  :P

In other news, fun post from Brian Kibler about his current tournament standings at the Modern GP:
"Jokingly suggested that my opponent take my Smiter with Inquisiton…and then he did. 8-1 #GPDetroit"

Long day + whimsical Jedi Mind Trick = ...success? Wish I had that kind of luck.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2013, 11:39:24 pm »

So, prerelease starts midnight tomorrow. What color are you choosing, and why is it Red?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2013, 12:25:23 am »

So, prerelease starts midnight tomorrow. What color are you choosing, and why is it Red?

never been to a prerelease? will they be giving away boosters? :P (generally dont know what happens there)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2013, 12:57:49 am »

Prereleases are a tournament that gets held a week before a set comes out. They have a much more casual and friendly tone than normal tournaments, and often come with some gimmick to provide a goal for the players besides just getting first place.

You'll have to pay to enter, and you'll recieve six packs and a foil prerelease promo rare to make your deck out of. In the Theros prerelease, one of your packs is replaced by a special pack of the color of your choice that contains the promo rare of that color and primarily cards of that color. Note that since the prerelease promo is in a pack you open, you can use it in the tournament.

It usually costs a little more than what the packs are worth. In my area, six boosters are around $24 and prereleases are $25-30.

I'm choosing red. Sadly, I don't think I've ever had much success with a red deck in limited. Let's hope this is the first time for that.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2013, 01:06:28 am »

A prerelease is a Sealed tournament, basically. For this one, you'll get 5 Theros booster packs and 1 "seeded" booster pack for a color of your choice and 1 alternate-art version of the foil rare from the intro box of that same color. So, for instance, if you choose Red, you get the 5 booster packs, 1 seeded booster containing only Red cards*, and 1 alternate-art Ember Swallower. The seeded boosters are pseudo-random, and if I recall from Ravnica block, there's something like 4 to 6 possible card combinations for each color's seeded booster.

You'll also get a Hero card based on your choice of color, which is a special card used for a gimmick that'll run over the Prerelease, Release Weekend, and Game Day tournaments. That's a bit more complicated to explain, but the gist of it is that it's only used in a special format, so you won't be playing with it at the tournament.

It'll require an entry fee, though. Ours is $25, which is slightly more expensive than just straight-up buying 6 packs, so if you expect to win nothing you'd want to be content with the fun of playing for a few hours, and getting access to the cards early. The Sealed format is similar to a draft, except you open all of your boosters yourself and construct your deck out of the contents (no actual drafting occurs, but I'm using the comparison because drafts are the most common limited format, IIRC).

*This could be wrong. Technically, it has been said to contain "lots of" cards of the appropriate color, and to be "appropriate to" the Hero's Path you choose.

EDIT: Mein gott! How can a penguin have honor and be able to enter the battlefield tapped and attacking in place of an unblocked creature that is returned to its owner's hand!?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2013, 01:52:37 am »

Today's Arcana says it's not all your color

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2013, 02:04:51 pm »

Today's Arcana says it's not all your color

And instead of guild leaders at the potential mythic slot, as with RTR block, apparently it's the gods... which I'm totally okay with. Might have picked red on the hopes of hitting the red god, had I known that, but I picked white because it's promo is a bomb among bombs. Heliod isn't too shabby himself, of course. I think Bestow is a sorely underrated mechanic for Limited (and it's already recognized as a solid mechanic, but certain cards feel underrated when they ought not be, such as the Eidolons), especially Sealed since it tends towards even slower decks... as if this Limited format wasn't going to be generally slow already.

I'm hoping to either do B/W Bestow or U/W Fliers, the latter being damn difficult to actually craft for once. Fewer solid fliers in this set at common than normal, which is rare. I have my fingers crossed for 3x Vaporkin and a handful of Wingsteed Riders, though.  :P

I'll write up my list and a tournament report for my midnight perelease, if I remember to keep track.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:30:31 pm by inEQUALITY »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12