Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 17352 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2013, 11:19:46 am »

I always wondered if a changeling deck could ever work (Changelings are creatures that had every creature type)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2013, 12:29:03 pm »

Changelings aren't as good in a dedicated tribal, more as a spice to throw into other tribal decks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2013, 12:31:52 pm »

Changelings aren't as good in a dedicated tribal, more as a spice to throw into other tribal decks.

I will say that Changelings would be hilarious to use AGAINST a lot of Tribal Decks.

"Ha ha ha! My Sliver deck is ultimate!"
"Go Changeling Soldier!"
"What?"
"Ohh, what do you know. I have every advantage your other slivers have"

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2013, 12:34:20 pm »

Okay, if they're running old-style lords, I'll give you that one. Otherwise, it's hard. Because you'd basically be running a pile of lords with some changelings, which is much more efficient if you just run a pile of slivers.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2013, 12:36:36 pm »

Okay, if they're running old-style lords, I'll give you that one. Otherwise, it's hard. Because you'd basically be running a pile of lords with some changelings, which is much more efficient if you just run a pile of slivers.

There must be other ways to use Changelings though other then just mix and matching tribal.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2013, 04:45:02 pm »

There must be other ways to use Changelings though other then just mix and matching tribal.
You can use changelings with the funnest card in magic quite effectively.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2013, 04:46:45 pm »

Not seeing how... Changelings are every creature type in the game.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2013, 04:57:41 pm »

Which means that the golem goes off whenever a spell targets the changeling, and the changeling gets included wheneve something targets a golem. It is quite delightful.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2013, 05:01:24 pm »

Which means that the golem goes off whenever a spell targets the changeling, and the changeling gets included wheneve something targets a golem. It is quite delightful.

Hmmm, reading the rules... It seems that they made a mistake when writing the rules.

Since the writing is clear as to the intent of the card. Yet the ruling is clear as to the bastardization of its literal meaning.

Though that is quite common in magic... Even when it shouldn't work.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:04:14 pm by Neonivek »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2013, 05:06:13 pm »

Well, what do you think it should be? I see no problem with changeling having fun with to golem

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2013, 05:08:32 pm »

Well, what do you think it should be? I see no problem with changeling having fun with to golem

The precursor golem's intent was that it creates a copy of itself and is essentially all of those golems at once.

That is its "intent". Yet the fact that it works with ANY golem changes this intent.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2013, 05:15:46 pm »

The precursor golem's intent was that it creates a copy of itself and is essentially all of those golems at once.

That is its "intent". Yet the fact that it works with ANY golem changes this intent.
It's not the only card that affects a huge number of golems at once - wingsplicer, bladesplicer, master splicer, etc all do a whole bunch of golems at once (though those are restricted to the ones you control).

The real fun, however, comes from spells like cackling counterpart and stolen identity. If you can cast spells that clone target creature, you can get a double exponential rate of growth in your golem numbers.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2013, 05:17:52 pm »

Kind of reminds me how one time Wizards of the Coast were REALLY sick of artifact decks in the current leagues so they just made a card that destroys all artifacts and made it cheap and quick.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2013, 05:20:21 pm »

That's why precursor golem brings me so much joy - all it takes is one doomblade and your entire army can be wiped out. But it gives cards like sheltering word similarly ridiculous consequenses.

And if you have a rite of replication or two...

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2013, 05:29:15 pm »

Rite of Replication, Kicked is perhaps the most fun play ever. So many wonderful shenanigans. Like Primordials and Titans.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12