Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 17323 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Magic: The Gathering
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:03:53 pm »

I figure I should stop cluttering the Happy thread. Looks like they're taking top-down design seriously. I'm incredibly pleased.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 11:47:10 pm »

Magic: The Gathering is a game I used to play a lot on Friday nights, back when planeswakers were brand-new, but I've been playing since around the Ice Age edition. Never won against anyone except my younger brother though so I don't play it too much anymore.

In fact my cards are in storage at my mother's place, if they still exist at all. She can't find them anywhere and I kind of wanted to start collecting them again. It's fine though. I might as well buy a new starter deck and perhaps go from there. Either way I've had some good times with Magic: The Gathering.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 01:03:06 am »

I'm personally extremely excited for Theros. The set seems to be oozing flavor so far.
They started to collide~

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 01:12:22 am »

I just now got done preordering 4 of the R/W 3-drop Legendary, 4 of the U/W 3-drop Legendary (more excited for that guy than anything), and 1 Thoughtseize. Hoping to build U/W Tempo for FNMs, because I can for the lulz. The other preorders were all speculation, not sure if I'll actually hit any real return on them but it's worth a shot. First time I've been in a financial position to preorder based on speculation since I started playing. I'm really looking forward to this set though, I'm absolutely loving the Greek flavor.  :D
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 02:02:03 am »

I've just started playing MTGO recently since there's no community for MTG where i live.
made an M14 sliver deck

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 02:10:20 am »

I personally think it died around Lorwyn for me. I was sad that Lorwyn got a negative reception from the fanbase for being too "happy".  :'(
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 02:33:17 am »

I personally think it died around Lorwyn for me. I was sad that Lorwyn got a negative reception from the fanbase for being too "happy".  :'(
but but but I LOVED THE CURBSTOMPING CHANGELINGS

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 10:12:51 am »

Oh hey there is now an MTG thread. Cool beans.

Unusedname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 03:17:29 pm »

How did people build decks before thragtusk...

My deck building was pretty much 3 thragtusk 2 disciple of bolas and then 32 good cards and lands.

I'm trying to get back into standard and I don't even know where to start

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 04:32:00 pm »

I used to play magic back in primary school 13 years ago or so, and i still keep the cards/decks new cards seem crazy good, it makes no sense. I mean usually the mana cost was equal to the atk/def, you had to add mana cost for the skills avobe that, the other day a saw a 6/6 that spawns 2x2/2 zombies when it enters play and each time it attacks, it costed 6 mana.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 04:35:23 pm »

My deck building was pretty much 3 thragtusk 2 disciple of bolas and then 32 good cards and lands.

Look at your cards, see the synergies. Feel the synergies. Be the synergies. Your journey to deckbuilder's zen is for you alone, and no other shall have the same journey.
I used to play magic back in primary school 13 years ago or so, and i still keep the cards/decks new cards seem crazy good, it makes no sense. I mean usually the mana cost was equal to the atk/def, you had to add mana cost for the skills avobe that, the other day a saw a 6/6 that spawns 2x2/2 zombies when it enters play and each time it attacks, it costed 6 mana.
Power level of noncreature spells has gone down significantly and creature power has risen significantly
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:42:09 pm by RedWarrior0 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 04:40:36 pm »

I sort of stopped when ramps basically became king... with the only exception being something even more broken.

Unusedname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 05:43:12 pm »

Look at your cards, see the synergies. Feel the synergies. Be the synergies. Your journey to deckbuilder's zen is for you alone, and no other shall have the same journey.

Yeah but it was so easy in INN/RTR block.

Every card was a 3 for 1, and flashback made it so simple to get lots of value.

The only way it could have been better is if dismember was reprinted. Though it'll never happen.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 09:24:53 pm »

Innistrad is still in for another couple weeks, and RTR for a year past that.

But from what I understand, the format is at its peak power level, since it's an 8-set Standard now and will drop to a 5-set Standard, so things will slow down considerably. And it's not like the format is dying, there's still Standard staples in RTR and looking at what's been revealed for Theros so far, the format will slow down considerably.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 11:01:30 pm »

I used to play over a decade ago regularly.  The last set I bought cards for was Invasion.  It just became a bit too expensive, and then there was the horribly unbalanced Urza Block.

I do recommend the Microprose adaptation of the game though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12