Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 17329 times)

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 03:07:11 pm »

If we were working from the current Comp Rules, it would be countered on resolution (Aura spells without their legal target as they resolve are countered as a SBA), and there's no wording with Bestow that would give a reason otherwise.

However, Mark Rosewater and Matt Tabak have both stated in several different places that -though it's counter-intuitive -the Bestowed card would enter as a creature instead. This is also in the Theros mechanics article now. I'm assuming that there'll be a new entry in the Comp Rules clarifying this when Theros comes out. MaRo gets what MaRo wants, I suppose.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:13:35 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 03:11:35 pm »

It's a common question. It resolves as a creature.

Note that auras do not actually enter the battlefield usually if the target gets removed. Evidence is that Rancor goes to the GY rather than back to its owner's hand.

Edit: as MaRo said, beginners will typically assume the more beneficial version, whereas experienced players are more likely to have read up on the mechanics. So while it may seem counter-intuitive to you, it isn't that way necessarily.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:14:34 pm by RedWarrior0 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 03:19:05 pm »

If the Aura resolves as a creature it means that Auras do not target. They enter the field and then you select a target... which cannot be interrupted once it is on the field.

Though it hardly matters other players will often try to bend written rules for their benefit. I should know I made a deck that relied on the "If you need to resolve multiple deaths at a time it is done in the order of... blah blah blah" in a way to ruin that strategy.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:23:51 pm by Neonivek »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 03:50:52 pm »

I've been playing my friend's cube for a few months, and am looking to start getting into MTG on my own (given that we're now in different cities).

I've looked into going to drafts at a nearby gaming store, but it's very much an unknown. What etiquette should I know (my only experience has been at a friend's kitchen table, so I'm clueless about the greater community)? Is there anything I should bring?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 03:56:32 pm »

A dice and a coin.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 04:11:35 pm »

A dice and a coin.
Just the one dice? I've tended to need quite a few of different sizes in the casual games.

Also, how rapidly do people play? I'm aware that I'll probably hold things up a lot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 04:21:17 pm »

A dice and a coin.
Just the one dice? I've tended to need quite a few of different sizes in the casual games.

Also, how rapidly do people play? I'm aware that I'll probably hold things up a lot.

If you mean for tracking your Life points and counters... Then you would need a dice bag.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2013, 04:43:50 pm »

I've just started playing MTGO recently since there's no community for MTG where i live.
made an M14 sliver deck
There's a Magic: The Gathering Online? If it's what I'm thinking it is I think my brother plays that when he's not playing Killzone 2. I'll have to look into it since the community of Magic: The Gathering players where I live curbstomp me whenever I play with them.

Always with the rare cards and the promotional freebies these people. I can't even afford a booster pack half the time and these people buy boxes of them. A Magic: The Gathering MMO might be more of my cup of tea, if it isn't that one where you just play a planeswalker.

What you're thinking of probably isn't MTG: Online.

I think your brother might have Duels of The Planeswalkers. I've never played it but I think it has a bunch of premade decks and fun puzzles to solve.

I don't know so I'll have to ask him. I don't exactly live near him or have his phone number, but since he lives with my mother the next time I visit I'll ask. That is, if he isn't asleep or getting ready for his job as night manager of a supermarket near where my mother lives.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2013, 11:39:07 pm »

I would bring a 20-sided die (or one of the specially-made life counters that have the numbers conveniently arranged in a spiral, if you have one from a fat pack or something) to track your life, or paper and pen. Also, some way of determining who goes first; try not to use one of the life counters for this, since they're not made to roll evenly and the arrangement of numbers makes it easy to cheat (and people are suspicious, so it's better etiquette just to avoid the whole idea).

If you're going to a draft, bring a few 6-sided dice as well, in case you need to keep track of counters on cards. You never know when you'll pull a planeswalker or some +1/+1 counter spewing card, and the dice are typically easier if you've got more than 1 counter on a thing. If you're playing Constructed, you can make this decision based on what's in your deck. Some sort of Boros aggro deck likely wouldn't want to bother, for instance, but a Simic/Golgari one would be rude not to.

If you want to sleeve, bring at least 40 of them, and practice doing it quickly so you can get it done during deck assembly. I do, but only because I can't shuffle efficiently, and it's important to be able to go fast when randomizing your deck, as a matter of courtesy. If you've got a good group of players, they'll be happy to answer your questions about more specific etiquette and the mechanics of the draft tournament. Just mention it's your first time and hopefully they won't be douchebags about it. If you don't have good players, you'll have a lousy night, but you might not want to go back to that store anyway unless the cardboard crack has really got its claws in deep (drafts are often cheaper than straight-out buying the packs, you see).

Technically, you're not supposed to look at your card pool except between packs when drafting, by my understanding. My place doesn't care - I'd suggest asking, or if you feel embarrassed enough, just watching to see if anyone else is as a cue.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2013, 09:52:37 am »

If the Aura resolves as a creature it means that Auras do not target. They enter the field and then you select a target... which cannot be interrupted once it is on the field.

This is exactly the opposite of the truth.

Quote from: MTG Comp Rules
114.1b Aura spells are always targeted. These are the only permanent spells with targets. An Aura's target is specified by its enchant keyword ability (see rule 702.5, "Enchant"). The target(s) are chosen as the spell is cast; see rule 601.2c. An Aura permanent doesn't target anything; only the spell is targeted.

They're targeted when you cast them but not on the field. Bestow does not change this - it only adds that the spell resolves as a creature if it has no target instead of being countered.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2013, 11:20:02 am »

it only adds that the spell resolves as a creature if it has no target instead of being countered

That makes no sense on its own either.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2013, 11:28:04 am »

Just mention it's your first time and hopefully they won't be douchebags about it. If you don't have good players, you'll have a lousy night, but you might not want to go back to that store anyway unless the cardboard crack has really got its claws in deep (drafts are often cheaper than straight-out buying the packs, you see).

I wish I had done this when I started playing again back in 2008. Then again I eventually stopped going to drafts and stopped playing again because all of the players were douchebags who only cared about winning. Then again people in the county I live in seem to take Magic: The Gathering very seriously and don't care if you're just starting up or if you've been out of the loop for a while as they'll wreck you and rip you a new asshole regardless of the circumstances.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2013, 11:54:33 am »

Normally, what happens is something like this:

You play Rancor, targeting your CREATURE, then pass priority. Rancor goes on the stack.
I cast Doom Blade on your CREATURE, then pass priority. Doom Blade goes on the stack.
Neither of us has anything else to do, Doom Blade resolves. Rancor doesn't have a target, so it is countered as a state-based action.

With bestow, it starts the same, except you have a Celestial Archon or something, cast for bestow cost. Instead of being countered as a state-based action, your Archon resolves as a creature.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2013, 12:05:02 pm »

Is what you are saying is that it does hit the field even though it is countered? While a spell that is countered normally has not?

In the same way that Tokens technically hit the graveyard.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2013, 12:43:23 pm »

The bestow card is not countered, hits the field, and sticks. Rancor is just countered, thus does not hit the field. This is why Rancor wouldn't go back to hand, since it doesn't go to graveyard from battlefield.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12