Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 17320 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 11:09:06 pm »

Yeah, it seems that since the Mirrodin overpoweredness and Kamigawa overcorrection, they've gotten better balance-wise.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 11:38:45 pm »

I'm actually looking forward to rotation, largely because I've never had the cash to buy Restoration Angel, Geist of Saint Traft, Snapcaster Mages, or the good ol' Swagtusk, and I got into the game too late to have a significant chance of pulling them from packs at a draft or something. And I'm eager to see what a new Standard looks like. Theros previews so far have left me having no clue what I want to run post-rotation, which is Just As Planned, no doubt.

Also, the Box is sorely tempting, which, well. You know. That'd be the point. I desperately, desperately want to play the game where I sacrifice that sucker before my turn, put tons of expensive bombs onto the battlefield for everyone, and then untap and immediately overload a Cyclonic Rift. But I know it's too unreliable for competitive play.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 11:47:03 am »

Silly Bauglir, that's what you do in EDH, not competitive.

And yeah, Geist of Saint Cash, Snapcasher Maye, and Cashtusk are going into my "Too expensive" bin, next to Jace the Wallet Sculptor. Cashseize is getting a reprint though.

I feel that New Standard will have competitive monocolor decks and more competitive 2-color decks. Also, even though Thoughtsy's are back and that Cerberus is in, June loses Liliana, Huntmaster, and other staples.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 06:39:32 pm »

I've just started playing MTGO recently since there's no community for MTG where i live.
made an M14 sliver deck
There's a Magic: The Gathering Online? If it's what I'm thinking it is I think my brother plays that when he's not playing Killzone 2. I'll have to look into it since the community of Magic: The Gathering players where I live curbstomp me whenever I play with them.

Always with the rare cards and the promotional freebies these people. I can't even afford a booster pack half the time and these people buy boxes of them. A Magic: The Gathering MMO might be more of my cup of tea, if it isn't that one where you just play a planeswalker.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 07:46:49 pm »

Eh, MTGO might be more of an investment. There are, however, free programs that are not necessarily WotC-approved that let you play completely for free.

Unusedname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 07:50:46 pm »

I've just started playing MTGO recently since there's no community for MTG where i live.
made an M14 sliver deck
There's a Magic: The Gathering Online? If it's what I'm thinking it is I think my brother plays that when he's not playing Killzone 2. I'll have to look into it since the community of Magic: The Gathering players where I live curbstomp me whenever I play with them.

Always with the rare cards and the promotional freebies these people. I can't even afford a booster pack half the time and these people buy boxes of them. A Magic: The Gathering MMO might be more of my cup of tea, if it isn't that one where you just play a planeswalker.

What you're thinking of probably isn't MTG: Online.

I think your brother might have Duels of The Planeswalkers. I've never played it but I think it has a bunch of premade decks and fun puzzles to solve.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 07:51:53 pm »

What exactly is MTG?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 07:58:02 pm »

A card game. You play cards to kill your opponent.

For beginning, I recommend Duels of the Planeswalkers, which is focused as the gateway for beginners. It also doesn't have all 13000-Ishmael cards in it.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 08:34:23 pm »

So does anyone else here ever play events with a higher REL than Regular? Maybe I've got the wrong impression, but it looks like some number of people in this thread have a hard time at FNM, let alone a PTQ. Which surprises me, honestly.  ???

At any rate, unless something gets spoiled that drastically changes how I feel post-rotation will turn out, which isn't very likely, I've pretty much narrowed down my post-rotation deck list for the first few weeks post-rotation at minimum:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:01:44 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 08:41:59 pm »

We still have most of the spoilers to get spoiled.

I think the lack of Competitive-ness is at least partially due to the expenses of a good deck (and entry fees) and from what I recall from my B12 demographics, folks here don't have a lot of money.

Personally, I'm very interested in getting past FNM level (also in becoming a DCI-certified judge, but that's a while off...)

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 08:57:48 pm »

We still have most of the spoilers to get spoiled.

I think the lack of Competitive-ness is at least partially due to the expenses of a good deck (and entry fees) and from what I recall from my B12 demographics, folks here don't have a lot of money.

Personally, I'm very interested in getting past FNM level (also in becoming a DCI-certified judge, but that's a while off...)

Still, if history is anything to go by, I'd say a good 80%+ of any given post-rotation deck will be made of cards already in Standard. U/W Control already has a strong shell with RTR Block, and the only way I can realistically imagine me not wanting to play a deck close to 99% exactly this list is if there are Theros duals that make it feasible to play 3-colors... in which case I'm switching to Esper, and having my wallet hate me for having to shell out for 3 more Thoughtseizes.

And true, money is definitely an issue, especially if MTG isn't the only hobby. Didn't realize that was a majority demographic on Bay12 though. It's not impossible to get places, however; I had a Legacy Dredge deck, a Grixis EDH deck, and a low-value Standard deck at one point on a $10 a week budget. Admittedly, this was after about two years of steady play, so a lot of it was from pulling chase cards at release/prerelease/prize packs and trading them away for format staples, making good trades and speculation, and just putting money into the game over and over. And that's with making plenty of mistakes along the way. It takes dedication to get somewhere on a tight budget, but it's doable if you have the patience. Also, it's possible to build budget decks that can do well at FNMs; MTGSalvation has a good budget forum for that sort of thing.

I've only been to a few higher level events, but even at my regular FNM, the quality of player is so, so much higher than all the other stores I've attended so it's still a good challenge. A good portion of the regulars have placed Top 8 or even won SCG Opens, PTQs (only Top 8's and Top 16's for these, sadly, so no one here has quite made the PT), and Invitationals. I've wanted to become a judge too, but I enjoy playing too much to go anywhere with that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:00:19 pm by inEQUALITY »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 09:16:24 pm »

At my store back home (at school right now) there was a PTQ and the winner was, I believe, back on Friday for FNM. There's also three Friday Nighht events (Draft, Modern, Standard) with fairly good turnout for each of them.

Also, judges aren't restricted from any play whatsoever.
In fact, they can even play and judge some non-Premier events like FNM and Prerelease simultaneously. It does have to be Regular REL, though. (Magic Tournament Rules, page 6)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:18:40 pm by RedWarrior0 »

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 09:36:38 pm »

At my store back home (at school right now) there was a PTQ and the winner was, I believe, back on Friday for FNM. There's also three Friday Nighht events (Draft, Modern, Standard) with fairly good turnout for each of them.

Also, judges aren't restricted from any play whatsoever.
In fact, they can even play and judge some non-Premier events like FNM and Prerelease simultaneously. It does have to be Regular REL, though. (Magic Tournament Rules, page 6)

We tend to do Standard and Modern on Fridays, and then another Standard event on Sundays, with a Legacy event one Saturday a month. I stick mostly to Legacy, but I play Standard now and again.

And I know that, but I meant that if I wanted to be a higher level judge, I'd need to judge at high level local/regional tournaments that I'd much rather be playing at. There's only so many per year in Charlotte, and those are the ones that are easiest for me to attend.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 02:01:01 pm »

I'm really bad at reading up on the metagame, which does not help my win ratio. I prefer trying to reason it out myself, even though I know that winds up with less effective decks because I'm definitely not as smart or dedicated as the entire rest of the community, because that reasoning process is part of the fun for me. Also, the money thing is a huge issue for me. My first month playing, I realized at the end that I'd spent far too much money on cardboard, so since then I've been rationing it pretty hard. Most of the budget actually goes into just paying the entry fees for events.

Anyway, looks like there's some kind of Magic Celebration thing going on this Saturday that involves free cards (M14 Core), so you might want to check your Friendly Local Game Store. Alas, I have work that day.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Unusedname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 02:06:35 pm »

The more I think of it the more I'm starting to like bestow.

It let's you build your board without the danger of overextending.

But can someone clarify for me if this is vulnerable to instant speed removal?

I Bestow Leafcrown Drayd onto Elvish Visionary
My opponent doom blades Elvish Visionary with Bestow on the stack

Does Leafcrown Dryad fizzle and is sent to the graveyard?
Or does it enter the battlefield as an aura with nothing to attach to and then becomes a creature?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12